Compiz Broken: No Window Buttons, ALT-TAB Broken, etc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Compiz Broken: No Window Buttons, ALT-TAB Broken, etc Reply with quote

after a non-trivial process (see thread here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-457152-highlight-xgl.html), i finally managed to get Xgl up and running on my Thinkpad x40. i'm able to successfully boot into Gnome on top of Xgl, with one major gotcha.

Compiz, which i'm replacing Metacity w/ per the script from the Gentoo Wiki HowTo, is rather broken. specifically, i can't:

move windows
minimize windows
use ALT-TAB
windows have no buttons
etc

i can switch between running applications using the mouse and the Gnome panels, but Compiz otherwise is broken. i'm inclined to believe this is a problem with the loading of my compiz plugins, but under the Gconf:general:allscreens:options tab, i've added the plugins in the order from the wiki (gconf,miniwin,decoration,transset,wobbly,fade,minimize,cube,rotate,zoom,scale,move,resize,place,switcher,trailfocus,water). these plugins, however, are not all present under the compiz:plugins section of gconf - don't know why.

some relevant info:

Code:
sudo emerge -pv compiz-vanilla
Password:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-vanilla-0.0.11_p20060523  USE="gnome svg -kde" 0 kB [3]

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage
 [2] /usr/local/gentopia
 [3] /usr/local/xgl-coffee

any suggestions gratefully appreciated. i'm so close to having a working Xgl instance.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome-window-decorator is what provides the stuff you are missing. Are you running that after compiz starts up?
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the reply, sternklang. here's the script i'm running to do the replace:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Start compiz within gnome-session
#
if [ `ps -A | grep Xgl | wc -l` == "1" ]; then
        DISPLAY=:1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ compiz --replace
gconf miniwin decoration transset wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale
move resize place switcher trailfocus water &
        DISPLAY=:1 gnome-window-decorator &
        DISPLAY=:1 setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout it -variant basic
fi

i've also run it without everything from gconf to & (miniwin decoration transset wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher trailfocus water). seems like it should be running gnome-window-decorator then, right?
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running compiz with "DISPLAY=:1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ compiz --replace gconf" should be enough, the other plugins are loaded by the gconf plugin. Otherwise the script looks good. What happens if you run "gnome-window-decorator" from a terminal?

The No Window Decorations section in the XGL troubleshooting article on the wiki says:
Quote:
Important: You need to enable the gnome use flag to build the decorator!

Compiz will be built with gnome-window-decorator only if cairo is installed and pango and gtk+ are built against it. gnome-base/control-center and libwnck are also required. Make sure the gnome and svg use flags are enabled for compiz. It has also been reported that in some cases you need to remove the compiz cvs directory to get it built (usually /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src/compiz).

Have you taken all those steps to try to resolve this?
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm rebuilding pango and gtk+ as i write this, but i'm concerned that it's not getting at the root source of the problem.

as near as i can determine, none of the plugins are loading - meaning the problem is broader than just window decorations. ALT-TAB, moving, minimizing - everything is broken. basically, compiz might as well not be running.

maybe i'd benefit from a transition away from compiz-vanilla to compiz-quinnstorm.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sog wrote:
as near as i can determine, none of the plugins are loading - meaning the problem is broader than just window decorations. ALT-TAB, moving, minimizing - everything is broken.

No, if gnome-window-decorator isn't built or doesn't load, nothing else is going to work, so that is probably the root cause of your problem.

sog wrote:
maybe i'd benefit from a transition away from compiz-vanilla to compiz-quinnstorm.

That's not going to get you anything regarding g-w-d. quinnstorm will get you other plugins plus some features of existing plugins that haven't been adopted upstream. It also gets you less stability with some plugins running. I run the latest quinnstorm CVS and love it, but you should know what you're getting with the two flavors of compiz before choosing one.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i see. thx for the clarification.

anyhow, as to your earlier question, if i run gnome-window-decorator from the terminal, it just hangs - no window decorations appear.

will post results after i recompile pango/gtk+. also may try recompiling compiz-vanilla.

i'd rebuild cairo and glitz, but they appear to have been deleted from the xgl-coffee overlay in revision 228.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sog wrote:
i'd rebuild cairo and glitz, but they appear to have been deleted from the xgl-coffee overlay in revision 228.

That's because newer versions of cairo and glitz are now in portage, though they're package masked, not just keyworded. In addition, there seems to be a bug in the new cairo where you have to make mesa the selected opengl implementation before emerging it:
Code:
eselect opengl list # to get the name of your video driver's opengl
eselect opengl set xorg-x11
emerge cairo
eselect opengl set <name from step one>

That worked for me with nvidia. You can try emerging without setting opengl to see if this is just an nvidia-related problem.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS! or at least, PROGRESS!

thanks to sternklang's suggestions i now have a mostly functional Xgl implementation running on top of my x40. after recompiling everything beginning w/ cairo, i have window decorations, the windows can be moved, i have drop shadows on the menus, i have some translucency of the application menus, the application windows bend when dragged, and so on. that's the good news.

i say 'mostly' functional, however, because there are at least two main plugins that don't seem to be working: scale, and the switcher. thus i still do not have ALT-TAB functionality, nor do i have the Apple Expose style application switcher. that's the bad news.

any suggestions on how to get those up and running would be greatly appreciated, but in the meantime i want to thank sternklang again for his attention to this thread. much appreciated.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help! :)

You problems with scale and switcher are probably just settings that need to be changed. Using gconf-editor, look at the keybindings for switcher (/apps/compiz/plugins/switcher/screen0/options) and the various "corners" settings and keybindings for scale (/apps/compiz/plugins/scale/screen0/options). I've modified these extensively on my system so I can't tell you what they default to, especially since some of the defaults have changed since I first started using compiz.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - got scale working, but the switcher's still inoperative. in gconf, it's marked as <Alt>Tab but that doesn't trigger anything.

at least scale if functional, but it'd be nice to have alt-tab back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: