No home diectory /home/joe!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBit46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: No home diectory /home/joe! Reply with quote

When I execute superadduser and input all the info for a user (joe) and then try to login it says: "No home directory /home/joe!". When I try an "su joe" from root I get an: "Cant execute /bin/bash: Permission denied". I have just installed 1.2 from stage3. Anyone have any ideas for my dilemma. I try to not to do normal things as root...hehe.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick fix, just edit the file /etc/passwd
Quote:
alex:x:1000:1000::/home/alex:/bin/bash

cya lX
FreeBit46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My passwd looks like yours and I am still having the same problem. Permissions are: /home/joe is drwx--x--x joe users and /home is drwxr-xr-x root root. /bin/bash is -rwxr-xr-x root root. I am using console mode links to post this so it may look a little wierd... heh
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my /home is the same. Is the file /etc/passwd- similar to /etc/passwd. also have /etc/shadow, which contains encrypted passwd. Well I can't see what's wrong I just used adduser alex, passwd alex and did the rest manually. Btw. stage 1 install.

Sry can't help, lX.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try

Code:

usermod -d /home/joe -s /bin/bash joe

Also these are the permissions set on my homedir:

Code:

drwxr-x---   46 zu       users        4096 Jun 10 21:07 zu

I just make it readable for people in the "users" group. Read & write for the user itself. But that depends on how you want to set up your system.
I suggest you read these manpages:

Code:

man useradd
man passwd
man usermod
man groups

Good luck & have fun with your Gentoo system

Greets
FreeBit46
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried superadduser with several times with different names. I have tried useradd as it has been described in various posts. I have tried usermod and chown like described in various posts. I have verified the permissions against your post and previous posts that have dealt with the subject. I have checked the format of my entry in /etc/passwd. I have created many users using superadduser and useradd to ensure that I am not just mangling the settings for user "joe". I have read all the man pages and I do believe in RTFM also. I have checked everything everyone has mentioned including every post ever posted on this forum even related to this subject (quite a few actually). I am no stranger to searching for previous posts for my questions and reading everything I can find. So usually what happens in the end is that when I ask a question, not only do I not know the answer, but in addition, I can not find the answer anywhere on the forum or the net, and to add even more, usually, no one that I ask knows the answer right off the bat (Note: I am not denying the answer does not exist by the way). Often times, in order to troubleshoot the system, one must look at the system...closely. This is hard to do on a forum. This seems to be the case here....and that is ok. Instead of using stage3 ver. 1.2, I am going to try a stage1 install using ver. 1.2. Perhaps this will change that one little needle in my haystack that is wrong. If anyone else out there has tried the stage3 ver. 1.2 and not had a problem with adding users and accessing them, please let me know, that way I can be sure that the problem was something I did and not an issue with the ver. 1.2 stage3 tarball.
Thanks.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used anything other than stage 1, so I don't even know what to expect after stage 1....

have you tried it by taking it from stage 1 and going through the compiles?

FreeBit46 wrote:
I have tried superadduser with several times with different names. I have tried useradd as it has been described in various posts. I have tried usermod and chown like described in various posts. I have verified the permissions against your post and previous posts that have dealt with the subject. I have checked the format of my entry in /etc/passwd. I have created many users using superadduser and useradd to ensure that I am not just mangling the settings for user "joe". I have read all the man pages and I do believe in RTFM also. I have checked everything everyone has mentioned including every post ever posted on this forum even related to this subject (quite a few actually). I am no stranger to searching for previous posts for my questions and reading everything I can find. So usually what happens in the end is that when I ask a question, not only do I not know the answer, but in addition, I can not find the answer anywhere on the forum or the net, and to add even more, usually, no one that I ask knows the answer right off the bat (Note: I am not denying the answer does not exist by the way). Often times, in order to troubleshoot the system, one must look at the system...closely. This is hard to do on a forum. This seems to be the case here....and that is ok. Instead of using stage3 ver. 1.2, I am going to try a stage1 install using ver. 1.2. Perhaps this will change that one little needle in my haystack that is wrong. If anyone else out there has tried the stage3 ver. 1.2 and not had a problem with adding users and accessing them, please let me know, that way I can be sure that the problem was something I did and not an issue with the ver. 1.2 stage3 tarball.
Thanks.
jouzts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had similar troubles after compiling from stage 1. Some thoughts -- check that the new user has permission to write and execute in /home itself.

For reasons I do not understand, I have never gotten useradd to add the password, so after I create a user, I (as root) have to "su - <user>" and do passwd to get the password setup.

There may be other hurdles I have forgotten.

You can directly create the home directory:
mkdir /home/<user>
chown <user>:users /home/<user>

I have added a user at least three times on Gentoo, but I have not managed to do it on the first try on any one of those occasions, and I have nearly 20 years of Unix experience. When you get this worked out, consider posting the solution to the Documentation forum in case I blow it on the fourth occasion.

John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: