need help troubleshooting problems of recent world update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: need help troubleshooting problems of recent world update Reply with quote

I recently updated world after using svn up and emerge --sync

I have pretty much everything needed for xgl keyworded and a few other applications/libraries like the latest version of amarok, wine, etc.

The problems didn't occur until yesterday though so it had to have been something I picked up then but I can't figure out what?

Here is my Xorg.1.log information for the main error. The problem here is that whenever I try to startkde in an xsession it will keep trying to change video modes, eventually starts and then hard crashes with some colorful lines across the screen.

I'm only pasting the end of the log as that's all that seems abnormal...

Quote:

*** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting.

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x94) [0x4787d4]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b640b68e840]
2: X [0x4fc895]
3: X(Dispatch+0x1b1) [0x44a2f1]
4: X(main+0x476) [0x432896]
5: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf6) [0x2b640b67c136]
6: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x99) [0x431e79]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

The second problem is that konqueror will not start (and maybe this is related, though I have no idea how).

When I try to open it in console it just sits there forever. It will eventually say
WARNING: DCOPReply<>: cast to 'QCString' error

And that's it.
Ferdinando
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: need help troubleshooting problems of recent world updat Reply with quote

xanas3712 wrote:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x94) [0x4787d4]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b640b68e840]
2: X [0x4fc895]
3: X(Dispatch+0x1b1) [0x44a2f1]
4: X(main+0x476) [0x432896]
5: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf6) [0x2b640b67c136]
6: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x99) [0x431e79]

I'd try recompiling those files; I can't check now, but I think /lib/libc.so.6 is from glibc and X from xorg-server; you can check with 'equery b /lib/libc.so.6' and so on if you have installed gentoolkit.

Bye
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the problem. I had apparently updated gcc and didn't realize it, and I think that the newest xorg builds I had were built based on it while other packages were built based on the other

I'm currently rebuilding my entire world file (some 650 odd packages and you can bet i'm using buildpkg!) and will probably after this go ahead and do a reinstall using my binaries I've created just to fully flush everything out. I already have konqueror working, xgl is not working now though due to a missing libGLCore (I can't remember if that comes from the mesa package or from the something else) but I think that may be because during recompiling I had the power knocked out (I hate losing 4 hours of compile time while I'm at work to the weather, lol).

Anyway, I think when everything is rebuilt it will be working fine again.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: