MX300 in gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: MX300 in gentoo? Reply with quote

Hey all...I wanted to find if anyone has gotten their Monster MX300 (or any other vortex2-based audio card) working in gentoo? There are drivers on sourceforge, but they don't compile under gentoo...any ideas?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How, exactly, do they not compile under Gentoo?
Nephren-Ka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
How, exactly, do they not compile under Gentoo?

I don't remember the errors offhand, I will output it to a log file and post that :)
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Compile time errors with Aureal Vortex2 card Reply with quote

I downloaded the sources from sourceforge.net/projects/aureal and attempted a compilation to add support for my sound card.

Here is the information I get when I compile under my new Gentoo 1.2 install (I used the kernel-2.4.19-Gentoo-r7 sources).

bash-2.05a# ls -a
. ChangeLog asp10.o au_audio.c au_mixer.c au_vortex.c
.. Makefile asp20.o au_core.c au_sndstat.c au_vortex.h
COPYING README asp30.o au_midi.c au_utils.c mod_conf

bash-2.05a# make install
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentium -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
In file included from au_vortex.h:66,
from au_audio.c:49:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/malloc.h:4: #error linux/malloc.h is deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead.
make: *** [au_audio.o] Error 1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On a side note I had previously used these same sources with Mandrake 8.2 (kernel 2.4.18-mdk something-or-other) and they worked beautifully. I would REALLY like to get my audio working in Gentoo!!!!

Thanks in advance!

BonezTheGoon
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you're insane for using -O6. Second, these sources use "linux/malloc.h", which has been phased out in favor of "linux/slab.h"; yell at the developers of your driver.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: So now what? Reply with quote

Ok, so I changed the source to point to slab.h instead of malloc.h, and I recompiled. It still isn working. Here is what I get now . . . .

bash-2.05a# make install
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_midi.o au_midi.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_core.o au_core.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_sndstat.o au_sndstat.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_mixer.o au_mixer.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_utils.o au_utils.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8830 -mpentiumpro -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_vortex.o au_vortex.c
ld -m elf_i386 -r au_audio.o au_midi.o au_core.o au_sndstat.o au_mixer.o au_utils.o au_vortex.o asp30.o -o au8830.o
mv -f /etc/modules.conf /etc/modules.conf.old
gawk -f mod_conf /etc/modules.conf.old > /etc/modules.conf
echo "alias sound au8830" >> /etc/modules.conf
echo "alias midi au8830" >> /etc/modules.conf
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc
cp -f au8830.o /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/rmmod au8830
rmmod: module au8830 is not loaded
make: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
/sbin/modprobe au8830
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc/au8830.o will taint the kernel: no license
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18 for information about tainted modules
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc/au8830.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc/au8830.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc/au8830.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/misc/au8830.o: insmod au8830 failed
make: [install] Error 255 (ignored)

So you say I am insane to use -o6, however I am unsure what to use in its place, -o5, or -o2? This is the compile time switches that have been put into the Makefile of these sources. I got them from sourceforge and they are over a yeart old (hence the very old malloc.h). Any new suggestions, this seems to have taken me closer to my overall goal and I thank you!

Many thanks in advance,
BonezTheGoon
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the thing back to malloc and then put the vanilla kernel source where it belongs and try again (the gentoo kernel might work also but I haven't tried it)
acon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Use the CVS version Reply with quote

I used the CVS version and I don't remember having any troubles other than hacking the configfiles in etc...

Sorry, I have one problem, I can't get my joystick (gameport) to work... but I haven't tried that hard since I'm not much of a gamer
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nephren-Ka are you still monitoring this thread? I am curious if your silence indicates that you got your sound card working. If you did would you please post the results and what you had to do to get it to work? I have not had a chance to touch my machine since I last posted (life sometimes gets in the way of Linux, damn it all) -- So I really appreciate all the suggestions and I swear I am going to give them a try and I will be sure to post results and a simple HOW-TO if I do get it working. If anyone has been able to get a Aureal chipset soundcard to work under Gentoo please please post to this thread with your directions and suggestions!!!!

All suggestions MUCH appreciated!! Well except the ones that simply say to buy a new card, not that I am attatched to this one--thats just an obvious solution that doesn't need to be posted. :Þ

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the driver from the sourceforge site (it might have been the CVS version), did a "make-install", and put "au8830" in modules.autoload, and it worked perfectly. I'm using Gentoo 1.2, with the Gentoo kernel. All the OSS and ALSA stuff is disabled or not installed, and I just have basic sound support compiled into the kernel. It does seem to depend on your setup to some extent. I tried the same procedure on the same system with RedHat 7.3, and it would lock up solidly as soon as I tried to play a sound.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wedge_ I had previously been using the sourceforge drivers with my Mandrake 8.2 prior to Gentoo and it worked fine. I had simply followed the README with the package from sourceforge. Very curious that you could compile where I could not. I will have to try this again some time! Thanks for your help!!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Thanks Wedge_ I had previously been using the sourceforge drivers with my Mandrake 8.2 prior to Gentoo and it worked fine. I had simply followed the README with the package from sourceforge. Very curious that you could compile where I could not. I will have to try this again some time! Thanks for your help!!!

Doh you still don't have it working huh?:D
I remember reading your posts somewhere in july and thought that u got it working since there weren't any posts for 2 weeks at the time I was reading this thread

Ok, in case you still are out there somewhere and want to hear some sound 8) follow these instructions:

Quote:
from aureal.sf.net:
The current drivers (1.1.2) are in usable state. However, it is recommended that the cvs be used instead. The cvs version has a variety of useful fixes, and a rewritten makefile that should make them eaiser to install.

First make sure your kernel sources are in a proper place and configured (they are in gentoo): /usr/src/linux

Code:

$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.aureal.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal login
hit enter
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.aureal.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aureal co aureal

I recommend to emerge pciutils before compiling the drivers, because make will use lspci to probe for your card:

Code:

aureal $ make
aureal $ make install-all

If successful, make install-all should install the aureal module into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/etc...

Some gentoo notes:
because gentoo generates the file modules.conf after every reboot, you should copy the lines, which make install-all puts there, into a separate file in the /etc/modules.d/ directory, say /etc/modules.d/aureal

here is mine:
Code:

$ cat /etc/modules.d/aureal
alias char-major-14 sound
alias sound-slot-0 sound
alias sound au8830
alias midi au8830

After that every proggie (noatun, xmms, avifile) works like a dream, without futher tweaking

hope this helps you and other mx300-users out there :D
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, time for a very dumb question though (I'm sure you are all used to me by now!), this is for Kernel Audio support right? This does not allow me to use ALSA? One reason I stopped working on it is because I was able to (very easily) get sound working with my onboard AC97 sound and ALSA using the Desktop Guide.

Thanks again,
BonezTheGoon
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
...All the OSS and ALSA stuff is disabled or not installed, and I just have basic sound support compiled into the kernel. It does seem to depend on your setup to some extent...

As Wedge_ said, no ALSA needed.
spiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx, helped me out with the cvs stuff a while back
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: