View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I will be ordering tomorrow. I want to have Gentoo Linux on it too, but I won't be giving OS X the boot because I like it a lot. My main concern is being able to share files back and forth. Would it be possible to have a separate /home partition for OS X, and use this in Linux as well? I wouldn't have a separate home partition for Linux. I'd just bind certain directories in that hfsplus partition to my /home directory on Gentoo. Would this work? Is it even possible to bind a directory on an hfsplus partition to a directory on an ext3 partition and be able to write?
peaceful
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bienchen wrote:
Hi there!

I'm trying to install Gentoo on my MacBook (brandnew one from march) and already fail at the booting of the minimal install cd (2007.0). The booting seems to stop on a line

>> Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hda

after mounting all sda partitions.

Any help? I am very bad on this booting/ installation things to fix'em myself so sorry if I did not post enough information here...

greetings,

bienchen

I had that same problem with a Mac Pro I'm trying to install _right now_. I just downloaded the 2008_beta2 minimal CD, and it successfully booted.
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
i42gomoe wrote:
I can mount all others devices. I can't mount it in my gentoo. The last Ubuntu 8.04, for example, allow me mount the cdrom. I think that is something of the kernel or some module. Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Manolo Gómez.

Anybody got an update on this? I have the exact same problem...
And it gets even funnier as I inserted a CD inside and now... I can't get it out :oops:

Thanks

Still nobody?
bienchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just about installing Gentoo 2008.0beta2 on my MacBook and found something queer:
I'm using a 5 Partition setup (EFI + MacOS + /boot + / + /home) and therefore followed the "Alternative Partitioning... 2" from the Wiki. After hours of playing around I found that I have to create a link /boot/grub/grub.conf -> /boot/grub/menu.lst by myself to get everything working. Additionally I had to use /bzImage instead of /boot/bzImage but I'm not sure if this is terribly important.
Is this menu.lst thing a bug or something? Should it be mentioned in the Wiki?

greetings,

bienchen
YourNameInHere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

someone got the "LINE IN" working? I'm useing the built in alsa modules from 2.6.24-gentoo-r8.
Everything works fine. But a externel Mic doesn't work. It seems that I have to activate the Line in first (because i can hear it very very quiet). But how can I do this? (the amixer is set to 'Input Source' 'Line')

I have a MacbookPro v3

thx anyway
Lacraia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't connect a microphone to the line-in because it has no amplifier. You can only connect amplified equipment.
Lacraia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm planning on getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I will be ordering tomorrow. I want to have Gentoo Linux on it too, but I won't be giving OS X the boot because I like it a lot. My main concern is being able to share files back and forth. Would it be possible to have a separate /home partition for OS X, and use this in Linux as well? I wouldn't have a separate home partition for Linux. I'd just bind certain directories in that hfsplus partition to my /home directory on Gentoo. Would this work? Is it even possible to bind a directory on an hfsplus partition to a directory on an ext3 partition and be able to write?

The easiest way is to make symbolic links from your linux home directory. There are ext3 drivers for Mac OS X, but are way to unstable to use. I've tried to have a common home-partition for all operting systems, but Mac OS didn't play along.
krisse
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacraia wrote:
The easiest way is to make symbolic links from your linux home directory. There are ext3 drivers for Mac OS X, but are way to unstable to use. I've tried to have a common home-partition for all operting systems, but Mac OS didn't play along.

I can't check right now, but I'm fairly sure I used ext2 drivers in mac os x. And that has worked without a flaw. (I almost wrote ext3 drivers, but when I thought about it some more, I do think it was ext2 that I ended up using. More stable, maybe? I really don't remember. Sorry.)

I agree with the statement that the easiest way is to make symbolic links. I used mac as my primary op system on this particular machine, so I had most stuff stored at the hfs partitition (not plus, if I remember correctly; I had a reason for that too; see this thread @ insanelymac), in that homefolder, and symlinked stuff like Documents, Pictures and so on to the linux homefolder.

You might also find this thread @ ubuntuforums interesting. Most of the problems I had, and the solutions I ended up using, are mentioned there.

Usually sharing $HOME between mac and linux isn't encouraged. Couldn't find any good references to that right now, but it seemed to make sense when I read it. :roll:
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insanely easy way to share files back and forth is to just have an HFS+ partition that you use for that purpose. Linux has has HFS+ drivers for a very long time, and I've never had a problem with them, even when using them in a server environment.
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have some question to my Macbook (late 2007), at first: I work generally in the shell/console, no X11 is installed

When I suspend with "echo mem > /sys/power/sate" this works perfectly, but I am missing a "wakeupkey" like the FN-Button on the Thinkpads, opening the panel or pushing the powerbutton is annoying me.

I wont to enable page-scrolling with "shift+pageup", I don't find something similiar with "dumpkeys".
I there a workaround or something else, without page-scrolling working in the console is a pain.

I have to add this "options snd-hda-intel model=mbp3" to my /etc/modprobe.d/options, how can I do this with built-in-kernel-drivers?

Thanks
Hoschi
HitMaker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've search the forum but I couldn't clear my mind, I am trying to install my wireless card but it has been impossible for me to do it, I have check madwifi wiki, this BLOG and nothing...

Here where i am:

-I've downloaded the latest trunk package from madwifi and I have installed it how it has to be, also I've checked before I had the kernel correctly built.
-But I don't see how i can create the ath0 interface, its been imposible to me :?

If I follow the blog when i do: "iwlist ath0 scan" the systems says that interface doesn't supprt scan, but there is no interface ath0 (ifconfig...)

Could someone help me please? :oops:
bienchen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

so I installed Gentoo on my MacBook and now I have a question concerning X. When I use `startx`, among others I get the following message:

Code:
expected keysym, got XF86KbdLightOnOff: line 70 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessDown: line 71 of pc
expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Anyone an idea what this means and how to get rid of it?

greetings,

bienchen
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitMaker wrote:
Hi there, I've search the forum but I couldn't clear my mind, I am trying to install my wireless card but it has been impossible for me to do it, I have check madwifi wiki, this BLOG and nothing...

Here where i am:

-I've downloaded the latest trunk package from madwifi and I have installed it how it has to be, also I've checked before I had the kernel correctly built.
-But I don't see how i can create the ath0 interface, its been imposible to me :?

If I follow the blog when i do: "iwlist ath0 scan" the systems says that interface doesn't supprt scan, but there is no interface ath0 (ifconfig...)

Could someone help me please? :oops:

Code:
modprobe ath_pci

may help
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
Thesee wrote:
i42gomoe wrote:
I can mount all others devices. I can't mount it in my gentoo. The last Ubuntu 8.04, for example, allow me mount the cdrom. I think that is something of the kernel or some module. Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Manolo Gómez.

And it gets even funnier as I inserted a CD inside and now... I can't get it out :oops:

Thanks

Still nobody?

Ok, figured out...
Might seem stupid but it's just that the CD-ROM is a SCSI one... so just compiling the kernel with that made it to appear magically.

Now, next step, suspend to disk and resume: I'm still having a black screen with strange pixels when I resume.
Anybody got it to work on a MacBook Pro Santo Rosa (from 2008) (or at least that's what I understand mine is called :p)
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
Thesee wrote:
Thesee wrote:
i42gomoe wrote:

Regards,

Manolo Gómez.

Thanks

Still nobody?

Ok, figured out...
Might seem stupid but it's just that the CD-ROM is a SCSI one... so just compiling the kernel with that made it to appear magically.

Now, next step, suspend to disk and resume: I'm still having a black screen with strange pixels when I resume.
Anybody got it to work on a MacBook Pro Santo Rosa (from 2008) (or at least that's what I understand mine is called :p)

Never mind, got the suspend to work!
I'm not 100% sure how (maybe change in the xorg.conf: NvAGP: 1 and AGPMode: 4 ; and grub.conf: ... agp=off).
Anyway: once again Gentoo, after forcing me to learn, showed me the path :D

Thanks all!
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm running now about half a year on my MacBook Pro. Everything works fine except that I still have trouble with suspend to ram. At the beginning s2ram -f successfully put the Machine into sleep state. Sometimes I had the crash after wakeup as described in the wiki. But it was usable...

Now, half a year later the behaviour has changed completely. s2ram -f still puts the device into sleep state and I do not have he mentioned crashes anymore. However, when calling s2ram there is a 90% chance that the Machine wakes up again immediately. This means that I have to call s2ram about 10 times until I can finally close the lid and put everything in my bag. As you can immagine this is REALLY annoying.

Does anyone have a hint how to debug this? Currently I have no idea what process, event, whatever makes the system wake up again.
m4yer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i'm currently installing gentoo on my new macbook

but i'm failing at making kernel ...

could someone pls give me a recent kernelconfig? (eg 2.6.25)

the one in the wiki doesnt work very well (stopps @ booting @ usb and resumes 1 or 2 minutes later)
(it boots, but well, this su***)

thx
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4yer wrote:
hi, i'm currently installing gentoo on my new macbook

but i'm failing at making kernel ...

could someone pls give me a recent kernelconfig? (eg 2.6.25)

the one in the wiki doesnt work very well (stopps @ booting @ usb and resumes 1 or 2 minutes later)
(it boots, but well, this su***)

thx

From my experience, the 2.6.24 works the best so far on my mac book pro.
What I've done was to take the gentoo-sources and apply the corresponding mactel patches.
As far as I remember, the only thing I added to the default config provided by the mactel patches was the scsi cd-rom (found out later that the dvd was a scsi one). Besides that, everything was fine.

Good luck!
taiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on Gentoo 2008.0beta2

bienchen wrote:
Hi,

I am just about installing Gentoo 2008.0beta2 on my MacBook and found something queer:
I'm using a 5 Partition setup (EFI + MacOS + /boot + / + /home) and therefore followed the "Alternative Partitioning... 2" from the Wiki. After hours of playing around I found that I have to create a link /boot/grub/grub.conf -> /boot/grub/menu.lst by myself to get everything working. Additionally I had to use /bzImage instead of /boot/bzImage but I'm not sure if this is terribly important.
Is this menu.lst thing a bug or something? Should it be mentioned in the Wiki?

greetings,

bienchen

m4yer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
m4yer wrote:

From my experience, the 2.6.24 works the best so far on my mac book pro.
What I've done was to take the gentoo-sources and apply the corresponding mactel patches.
As far as I remember, the only thing I added to the default config provided by the mactel patches was the scsi cd-rom (found out later that the dvd was a scsi one). Besides that, everything was fine.

Good luck!

thx, i now managed it with the zen-sources, that have mactel-patches included, now runs everthing fine
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadhead wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm running now about half a year on my MacBook Pro. Everything works fine except that I still have trouble with suspend to ram. At the beginning s2ram -f successfully put the Machine into sleep state. Sometimes I had the crash after wakeup as described in the wiki. But it was usable...

Now, half a year later the behaviour has changed completely. s2ram -f still puts the device into sleep state and I do not have he mentioned crashes anymore. However, when calling s2ram there is a 90% chance that the Machine wakes up again immediately. This means that I have to call s2ram about 10 times until I can finally close the lid and put everything in my bag. As you can immagine this is REALLY annoying.

Does anyone have a hint how to debug this? Currently I have no idea what process, event, whatever makes the system wake up again.

No ideas?

In the meantime I upgraded to kernel 2.6.25-gentoo-r5 without success.

It seems that after rebooting suspend to ram works quite well. But after working a while (about half an hour) the above problem returns. I tried to find out if there is a certain application that produces this behaviour but I couldn't find out anything like this.

Anyone else having the same issue or perhaps solved it already?

thanks
dreadhead
dmvianna
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folk,

Anyone got an annoying cd bay that will keep cranking unless it gets a CD into it? Even better, has anyone solved that issue? :roll:

On s2ram: I ditched it a long time ago in favor of logging off X and using a script containing:

Code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags
VGASTATE=$(vbetool vbemode get)
sync
sync

echo mem > /sys/power/state

vbetool post
vbetool vbemode set ${VGASTATE}

Works like a charm. A guy called Ortwin Glueck found that out, but I don't remember from where I got it. I guess it was a blog. :D