View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the order in for my MacBook yesterday. :) Hopefully it'll be here in about a week and then I can show the wiki page some love.
Techboy74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Macbook Single Boot Reply with quote

All, Hi.
I have a lovely shiny new MacBook that seems to FLY along.
I'm not that interested in using OSX, as I have given it a go over the last few days, and it's just not tooting my whistle.

I can't seem to find information on installing JUST Gentoo on my macbook. There is lots of info on triple booting and dual booting that is of little help.

Does someone know where I should seek info on using JUST gentoo on the laptop. Happy to use EFI or Bootcamp BIOS emulation should it be required.

Considering that I have no need for OSX, I also have a feeling that it should be fairly straight forward to JUST BOOT GENTOO.

Ideas?

Also.... Does anyone know whether the Intel Xorg drivers will work under EFI.

Thanks!

Paul
Maintenant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't seem to find information on installing JUST Gentoo on my macbook. There is lots of info on triple booting and dual booting that is of little help.

Does someone know where I should seek info on using JUST gentoo on the laptop. Happy to use EFI or Bootcamp BIOS emulation should it be required.

Considering that I have no need for OSX, I also have a feeling that it should be fairly straight forward to JUST BOOT GENTOO.

Well, you might want to check out www.mactel-linux.org . They were the first who got Gentoo running on the new iMacs long before Apple released the firmware update with BIOS compatibility. They also describe where to get an EFI Bios only bootloader and how to install it.
I don't know what you are doing with you MacBook. But as for now, a lot of things are still not supported, or to put it better: We still haven't figured out, how to get them running properly (touchpad, sound, hibernation, external dvi out, etc.). So, you might want to stick to a minimal OSX (like 10 GB or even less). Besides. you never know, whether Apple is going to release a firmware update or similiar things which are absolutely necessary. Considering, how hot my MacBook can get at times (I checked, but I don't have any plastic foil on the rear vent), a BIOS/firmware update would really be appreciated....
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Macbook Single Boot Reply with quote

Techboy74 wrote:

Ideas?

Although I plan on keeping OSX around, I was wondering that too. If you find anything out, be sure to note it somewhere. Although, indeed, it would probably be a good idea to keep OSX around.
deephack1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just received the black 2Ghz model this morning and I'm installing Gentoo 2006.0 using the bootcamp, rEFIt, LILO option outlined in mactel-linux.org's wiki. I'll let you all know how it goes. Just out of curiosity though, anyone know what mcpu flag to use with gcc to get the most out of the core duo? Is it just a P4 or what?

Have fun!
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deephack1982 wrote:
Hi guys, just received the black 2Ghz model this morning and I'm installing Gentoo 2006.0 using the bootcamp, rEFIt, LILO option outlined in mactel-linux.org's wiki. I'll let you all know how it goes. Just out of curiosity though, anyone know what mcpu flag to use with gcc to get the most out of the core duo? Is it just a P4 or what?

Intel pretty much ditched the P4 for the PMs when those started coming out (the P4 was a mess and the PM is more similar to a P3, architecturally).

Most people indicate that the correct flag is pentium-m, and I think this is most likely the case. Although, like the AMD64 X2s, I think the Core Duos have SSE3 support (indicated by "pni" in /proc/cpuinfo) but the selected processor arch for GCC does not support it. So, if you're daring, add -msse3 to your CFLAGS (and if you're really, really daring, overlay flag-o-matic and let the filters accept -msse3 everywhere [although if you do, you'll have to go rogue like I have ;)]).

In any event, feel free to update the wiki with your experiences! I should be getting my 2.0 GHz white on Monday and then I'll let loose on the wiki as I go through an install.
deephack1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've managed to partition the drive using bootcamp and run through the normal Gentoo install right up to where I install LILO and reboot the machine. On reboot though I'm getting the following error

Kernel Panic: unable to mount root fs on unkown block (8,2)

I'm guessing this is something to do with the partition table although I followed the instructions exactly and made sure the table shown in parted (gpt) and sfdisk (msdos) matched. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to continue trying different things.

Just to note though I have compiled in support for my drive controlled ICH7, my root fs ext3 and my partition table gpt. I also have boot from EFI support in there.

Regards,
sjanssen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deephack1982 wrote:
Okay, I've managed to partition the drive using bootcamp and run through the normal Gentoo install right up to where I install LILO and reboot the machine. On reboot though I'm getting the following error

Kernel Panic: unable to mount root fs on unkown block (8,2)

I'm guessing this is something to do with the partition table although I followed the instructions exactly and made sure the table shown in parted (gpt) and sfdisk (msdos) matched. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to continue trying different things.

Just to note though I have compiled in support for my drive controlled ICH7, my root fs ext3 and my partition table gpt. I also have boot from EFI support in there.

Regards,

I think the partioning advice given in the Bootcamp/rEFIT/lilo guide is bad. I tried making the MBR manually with sfdisk several times, and each time it left my machine in a state where it couldn't boot into OS X or Linux. This method worked for me:

• Use Disk Utility on the OS X install CD to partition your drive, make one big HFS partition. Install OS X.
  • Boot into MacOS, download Bootcamp and rEFIT. Run the Bootcamp installer, partition, and choose restart into OS X.
  • Install rEFIT, pop in the Gentoo CD, reboot.
  • Now, we have three partitions: sda1 for EFI, sda2 for OS X, and sda3 for Gentoo. I recommend that you do not touch the partition table anymore. Having only one partition to install Gentoo on is annoying (you'll have to use a swap file instead of a swap partition) -- but I haven't seen a method to partition further that doesn't nuke your partition tables.
  • Proceed with the usual install procedure. I chose to install Lilo into sda3 instead of sda, but I imagine either way works fine.
  • Reboot, rEFIT should list OS X and Linux in it's menu. Try booting into Linux -- if you have more problems at this point, you can be sure it isn't your partition table!

Also, the advice about editing package.mask for Xorg is out of date. Just put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in your make.conf and emerge xorg-x11.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
no, Core Duo is -march=prescott. it supports Prescott New Instructions but not EM64T.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-448761.html

Looks like I was wrong about the CFLAGS.

Regarding partitioning, why bother with old MBR partitioning style at all, if you're only going to have OSX and Gentoo? Some of the sources seem to suggest that EFI's GPT method will be sufficient if one avoids Windows.

And yes, the wiki is out of date. Hopefully I will have all of tomorrow to work on it as I install (although really, you could have just removed the old X stuff yourself, if that's the case :).
quellthrix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+egosearch

I'll be receiving a MacBook soon, and this thread has given me some hope. In the end, I hope to triple boot, although I don't recall if anyone has successfully done so on a MacBook yet... I really would like to get all 3 OS's on there. bssteph, keep us posted on your progress, and what combination of OS's are you going to keep on the notebook?
deephack1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, okay thanks for the tips everyone.

As I am using LILO I need to have old MSDOS style partition map, luckily rEFIt has a menu item called partitioning which calls gptsync and replicates your gpt tables in the MBR. After doing this it just worked. I am typing this massage form Gentoo on my MacBook :)

I'm not done yet though as there is still much to do. Need to figure our the touchpad, backlight, 1280x1024 res on the screen, fn keys, and no doubt many other things.

Although suprisingly sound and wireless just worked after installing madwifi-ng.

Thanks for the CFLAGS tip. I'll change that now.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff, deephack1982! I don't think 1280x1024 is possible, though (unless you meant 1280x800 which is what Apple advertises).

quellthrix wrote:
I'll be receiving a MacBook soon, and this thread has given me some hope. In the end, I hope to triple boot, although I don't recall if anyone has successfully done so on a MacBook yet... I really would like to get all 3 OS's on there. bssteph, keep us posted on your progress, and what combination of OS's are you going to keep on the notebook?

I don't know yet, really. Definitely OSX and Gentoo (obviously). Not too sure about Windows yet. But http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp does go over triple-booting.

I better decide soon, though, it just arrived!
deephack1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, of course you are right 1280x800 it is. I got it working by the way by using 915resolution with the following command line

915resolution 5c 1280 800

After that I get a nice hires xorg display. Things I'm still working on are fn keys which even after patching my kernel didn't work and synaptics on the touchpad which doesn't seem to support multifinger yet. Apart from that I'm doing quite well, running KDE 3.5.3 quite the thing.

Have fun!
quellthrix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but because the MacBook uses Intel integrated graphics, we won't be seeing any compositing for Linux on the MacBook, will we? I was considering, if that's the case, to run e17, just to get some nice eye candy without a dedicated graphics card...

Oh, and I'd love a screenshot of your KDE 3.5.3 desktop. =)
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw on whatever wiki page listing supported hardware for XGL, that the Intel chip in the MacBook would work. Don't know if anyone tried though. So perhaps there's eye-candy for that, down the road. Don't know about compositing though.

In other news, I've started work on the wiki, updating as I go. I'm past partitioning, my current method being OSX/Gentoo dual-boot without Boot Camp. Hopefully it'll pan out nicely.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... so it seems, according to rEFIt documentation, the Intel graphics need to be booted through BIOS compatibility mode (using Boot Camp) in order to work properly (or maybe even at all). And Boot Camp refuses to run properly (I think) unless it only sees one disk, meaning due to my lack of RTFWikis, I need to start over.

A useful, non-Boot Camp install seems impossible at the moment.

Deleting my stuff in the wiki for now and giving it another whirl.
slashcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to post a full xorg.conf for the MacBook. My trackpad doesn't work at all. Rather, up/down works, but left/right doesn't and the mouse-down causes the cursor to move right. I'd like to know which driver I should be using. I added a link on the Wiki page to a patch for getting sound to semi-work.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slashcom wrote:
Someone needs to post a full xorg.conf for the MacBook. My trackpad doesn't work at all. Rather, up/down works, but left/right doesn't and the mouse-down causes the cursor to move right. I'd like to know which driver I should be using. I added a link on the Wiki page to a patch for getting sound to semi-work.

I saw that, cool. I too would like to see a full xorg.conf, if no one beats me to one. ;)
slashcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
Er... so it seems, according to rEFIt documentation, the Intel graphics need to be booted through BIOS compatibility mode (using Boot Camp) in order to work properly (or maybe even at all).

You can definitely get the Intel gfx working using 915reolution. I don't know if they are fully hardware accelerated, but I can definitely get a display up and glxgears running. Right now my MacBook is in the middle of compiling GNOME. Once that finishes, I'll play around with the display settings and see what gets the frame rate on glxgears the highest.

edit: take a look at the patches from mactel-linux
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/mactel-linux/trunk/misc/
It's worth noting that they added an entire new framebuffer device for intel macs. I haven't added that patch into my kernel yet, but I'll let you know if it noticably changes anything (or screws everything up!)
slashcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I missed at first that really helped with acceleration was making sure the intel-agp module was loaded. This created a /dev/agpgart device and really sped up rendering and smoothness.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slashcom wrote:
bssteph wrote:
Er... so it seems, according to rEFIt documentation, the Intel graphics need to be booted through BIOS compatibility mode (using Boot Camp) in order to work properly (or maybe even at all).

You can definitely get the Intel gfx working using 915reolution. I don't know if they are fully hardware accelerated, but I can definitely get a display up and glxgears running. Right now my MacBook is in the middle of compiling GNOME. Once that finishes, I'll play around with the display settings and see what gets the frame rate on glxgears the highest.

edit: take a look at the patches from mactel-linux
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/mactel-linux/trunk/misc/
It's worth noting that they added an entire new framebuffer device for intel macs. I haven't added that patch into my kernel yet, but I'll let you know if it noticably changes anything (or screws everything up!)

I was under the impression that even 915resolution would do no good without a compatibility boot (and that such a boot was only possible through something done via Boot Camp), but I might have misread something. In any event I've done a Boot Camp method now and I have no desire to hose everything and try yet again. :)

Hmm. There being a framebuffer device is promising, because the default console is pretty ugly. Be sure to let us know, and if it's successful, add mention of it to the wiki! I have to sleep and then go to work (to gloat ;).
deephack1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I believe that you do need to use bootcamp just now to get the correct video BIOS calls working but I may be wrong. If you guys are interested in my screenshot and xorg.conf please see my blog.

http://deepcack.blogspot.com

I'll be posting more info and pictures there soon. Also I'll throw my oar into helping update the wiki tonight when I get back from work. My xorg.conf doesn't have synaptics configured by the way as this machine doesn't have multifinger support yet and the accuracy of the touchpad in synaptics mode sucks. I'm using bog standard USB HID in the meantime.

Have fun!
d_m
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have installed Gentoo on my Intel Mac Mini. I did the install before Boot Camp was out, so I am just using the rEFIt bootloader (via EFI) and the kernel patches which create the imacfb framebuffer. It works with X (although it's not at all accelerated).

For the mini, there is another patch which fixes the ALSA driver for the HDA intel audio driver, and a third patch which improves support for the SATA controller. From the mactel-linux-dev mailing list, I think the Macbook Pro is pretty well supported and the Macbook support is coming along.
d_m
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if anyone here knows a good way of getting the Legacy BIOS to work without having to wipe my drives and reinstall, that would be awesome. I've heard from various people that either:

1. all you need is a windows partition on your HDD
or
2. that you need to tell Apple's Paritition tool to use an MBR layout and repartition to enable it.

Legacy BIOS emulation is better because then you can just use the vesafb and the intel X driver, rather then the imacfb and the basic X driver.
slashcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d_m wrote:
1. all you need is a windows partition on your HDD

That would explain why the intel graphics are working so nicely for me. /dev/sda4 is windows. :) If that's the case, I'm going to get vesafb to work, and add that information to the wiki. There's no point for me to try imacfb.

However, I also have work to do, so it will have to wait until tonight.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: