Still have problems with USB Flash disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slammer
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Still have problems with USB Flash disk Reply with quote

I am new in linux while I am proffesional programmer using MS Windows. I decided to go with Gentoo anyway.
I have installed Gentoo easilly without problems. I have now Xfree, KDE and Gnome fully working. I have managed to have Greek keyboard and Greek characters (I am form Greece J). I have also installed my CDRW and DVD as sr0 and sr1 (using scsi-ide). I still have big problem with my 64MB USB-Flash disk (by WMG).

I have all scsi and usb modules compiled.
First, I used gentoo-sources kernel. After booting all scsi modules are already loaded (because of ide-scsi cdroms) except sd_mod. I am loading sd_mod, uhci or usb-uhci (I have VIA motherboard) and finally usb-storage. The green led on Flash-disk turning on showing that disk is iniatilised. Unfortunately after 5-6 seconds the system locks (No keyboard at all) exiting only with hard reset.
I decide to try with vanilla sources. The some thing happens!
Finally with ck-sources seems stable with no locks, but still the Flash disk is not working. Looking the dmesg I see that the system try to assign Flash Disk to scsi1, but fails!

This is my problem.
Slammer
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: I think that, this USB Flash Disk is not supported. Reply with quote

Finally I tried vanilla sources patched with 2.4.21_pre7. It seems that this device (WMG 64MB USB Flash Disk) is not supported. :(

I haven't locks anymore, but usb-storage gets errors from the device.

For your information, 2.4.21_pre7 working very well for me.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had trouble getting my compact flash card to read on my desktop (dual boot, gentoo/xp), but on my server, which i just did over the past week or two, it loads up fine no problem. i haven't booted gentoo on my desktop for a while now though, as i've been using a lot of stuff that's windows only, or a lot easier for me to do in windows at least :P.
Slammer
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: It is SOLVED!!!! Reply with quote

Finally after some digging in forums I found it!
The WMG USB flash disk is typical Bulk device, but the manifacturer/product is unknown to usb-storage module.
Adding the following lines in linux/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h and recompile the kernel everything is OK.

Code:
UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x0ed1, 0x6660, 0x0100, 0x0300,
      "WMG",
      "Solid State Disk",
      US_SC_SCSI, US_PR_BULK, NULL,
      US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY),

This may help some of you with problems with Flash disks.

Now I can format my Window$$ partition :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: