Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help needed: Firefox hard lockup, test it please! ;)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Help needed: Firefox hard lockup, test it please! ;) Reply with quote

I'm pretty much desperate now, since I upgraded both Xorg and Firefox and the crash still persists - I'm not sure about what to do, where to report this.

Basically it is a nasty crash that leaves me with a black screen and one lonely line in the messages log, saying X died:
Quote:
X[7205] general protection rip:a481b2 rsp:7fffffffd3d0 error:0

It happens when you post a form passing parameters via the url bar, basically with insane amounts of data (which is not that rare as one might think). Just launch the w3c.org's [url=jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/]css validator[/url] for example and paste a big (8-10k) css file (yes, I work with html, css and such); the url bar will show garbage, and woosh, the screen goes blank. No keyboard input, but the power off function works, so I think this should not be a kernel problem.

I tried it with:
X11: x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r7 and an older r4 release
Firefox: 1.0.6, and the actual binary, which is 1.5.0.3
Kernel: 2.6.11-gentoo-r7
Cflags: -march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe

I think this is quite serious, since a malicious (and pretty simple) javascript can trigger the same mechanism, leaving the user with a dead machine (which also happened to me, since I pass my css and html files via a small automated script I made, straight from the editor).

Anyone with the same problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

Edit:
I checked it with other distros, so this might be either Gentoo specific or a Xorg/kernel problem. Not sure... the problem still persists.

Last edited by bakaohki on Sat May 20, 2006 10:10 am; edited 3 times in total
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Remove all plugins and try again Reply with quote

I have seen this once on amd64. In my case it was an adobe reader or flash problem, both are cleaned off my machine and I am happier for it. I think they don't play fair in the sandbox. I think This error happens when a 64 bit application calls a 32bit section and isn't aware it is doing so.

how about this diagnostic technique:
Move all plugins to an alternate directory and remove pluginreg.dat
close all browser and reopen and try your test again.
then add back plugins one at a time

Also maybe check your JRE
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have latest sandbox,X11 firefox1.5.0.3 emerged from the latest potage.
i have seen problem with saving a page then firefox just shutsdown.
try emerging the mozilla-1.7.13 also. may be some dependency works with it.
these problems occur when the plugins or extentions are either not updated or not working.
X dieing i have not seen at all anytime.i did an emerge -Du world lastday.
the flash did have a sound problem but it became ok when kde sound system disabled.
otherwise mplayer vlc kaffeine all seem to work ok with firefox.
kde-3.5.2 and kde-3.4.3 installed .kde crashes occur and this x trouble may be due to some kde settings problem.i use to alternate between the 2 kdes if one crashes and wont start .then one or the other sets the start kde to good working point.
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remove all plugins and try again Reply with quote

jshanab wrote:

how about this diagnostic technique:
Move all plugins to an alternate directory and remove pluginreg.dat
close all browser and reopen and try your test again.
then add back plugins one at a time

Also maybe check your JRE

No, this is not the case, since even in my first post I stated, that the problem persists with firefox (pure 64 bit) and NOT just with firefox-bin (32 bit percompiled), which means this is neither java nor a plugin issue. Why? Because I had no 64 bit Java and/or flash installation (I don't really like 32bit binaries, I'm just using firefox-bin now for not having enough time to recompile the whole browser).

To padoor:
I might give it a try without extensions (launch FF with another user profile), but I strongly doubt it is a plugin problem; this seems to be a nasty buffer overflow - even the url bar dies for a second (the text literally overflows in the textarea), then X is dead, no keyboard or mouse input.

What I ask here is to try out the css validator with an obscene amount of code - if someone can post 9k lines of code (inserted into the textarea control, not by file upload) without killing his or her browser (and the whole system) then I will believe this problem is outside the scope of the browser itself and might be connected with: 1. extensions (not plugins), 2. gtk theme (qtcurve), 3. monolithic xorg-x11, 4. kernel, 5. 64bit. Since I'm at work now, I can't really test it, but soon I'll give these things a try myself.

BTW IE limits URL size to approx 2k, while mozilla and friends have no such limitation and I have not found a way to set it (neither in settings, nor in about:config or in cfg files).
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes my system is 32 bit p4 2.5GHz
no doubt the firefox browser has become incresingly unstable after version 1.0.4
one or other gives problem and the feedback manager somes up moretimes now and send the error report. and there are many number of firefox bin running for a single tab window.
all the times it sends an error it is about the memory acces error always the same address point and in xp the ie fails the sameway
i have strong doubt in the ssl updates causes this problem.
still why it should kill x server?
java and other plugins or extensions errors will stop it from starting the browser.

wait a little mmm!!. sometimes i have been thrown back to login screen from firefox and after that quality feedback happens.
this has happened number of times . while compiling some packages and when a radio playing from browser. and when switching from console active window to browser like those occatrions. couple of times system gets stuck and hard reset was the only way to restart.all these times firefox also was involved.
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
wait a little mmm!!. sometimes i have been thrown back to login screen from firefox and after that quality feedback happens. this has happened number of times

As I stated above the lockup is reproduceable, even with one xterm and firefox running (no window manager, no radio) - no quailty feedback agent comes up, everything just goes blank.

An amd64 user should pop up it would be nice if he or she could test the browser for this malfunction using the above mentioned form (css validation); even though this happened to me only once on a "normal" site, having a nuke-able browser annoys me.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope u have tried rm -rf .mozilla in /root and in /home/user/
check if xfont folders are all present.
i can post any folder contents if u need to compare.
this may not be firefox /mozilla problem
i would emerge mozilla nspr and ssl if browser fail to start or fails on browsing a safe page
the total x failure is really a strange problem for a brwser failure.
see if u can get same problem with konqueror also
re emerging kdelibs is also in order
any problem in browser at worst stop from starting it. possibly its calling nonexistant fonts or library
would u try a emerge system / even world
i have seen while doing emerge -Du world for any reason a compile failes or md5 check fails and on restart resume emerge is started with next file not the failed one.i dont know if the failed or partially emerged files is present or repaired or system thinks its already emerged.---its a different issue
dpaking
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though you've checked out various 32/64 bit issues, but it might be worth confirming that the appropriate emul-linux-86 packages are installed properly. Only reason I mention it is I had some Firefox weirdness a while back (although not as severe as your problem) that was solved when I re-emerged some of the emulation packages.

Good luck.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this helps
i put in the address field http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
the page is correctly shown ok
next http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=www.yahoo.com&usermedium=all
W3C Jigsaw Powered
W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.yahoo.com

To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse tree. This means you should use valid HTML.
Errors
URI : http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTFmbHA0ZTY4BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEcGlkAzExNDc3NDQzOTkEdGVzdAMwBHRtcGwDaW5kZXgtdGJs/

* Line: 59 Context : #ss dl

Parse Error - ;*padding:2px 0 5px 12.60em;
* Line: 60

Parse Error - :77% verdana;} #ss dl dt
* Line: 62 Context : #ld li

Parse Error - ;*background-position:.0em 50%;
* Line: 62 Context : #ld li

Parse error - Unrecognized : ;}

Warnings
URI : http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTFmbHA0ZTY4BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEcGlkAzExNDc3NDQzOTkEdGVzdAMwBHRtcGwDaW5kZXgtdGJs/

* Line : 47 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:link
* Line : 48 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:visited
* Line : 49 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color : a:hover
* Line : 54 font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic family as a last alternative
* Line : 54 (Level : 2) font-family: You are encouraged to offer a generic family as a last alternative : #vmore

Valid CSS information

* .ex {
o min-width : 760px;
o width : 47.5em;
}
* a:link {
o color : #039;
o text-decoration : none;
}
* a:visited {
o color : #800080;
o text-decoration : none;
}
* a:hover {
o color : #0353a5;
o text-decoration : underline;
}
* spacer {
o display : block;
}
* form {
o margin : 0;
}
* #vmore {
o position : relative;
o top : 2px;
o font : 77% verdana;
}
* #c {
o width : 10.65em;
}
* #ss {
o padding-bottom : 0;
}
* #sw {
o margin-left : 0;
o width : 9em;
}
* #ss .sstop {
o clear : both;
}
* {
o padding : 0;
o display : inline;
o font-weight : bold;
o padding-right : 0.4em;
}
* #ss dl dd {
o display : inline;
o padding : 0;
}
* #ld li:before {
o padding-right : 0.3em;
}

Valid CSS!

if u post ur html file u want validated i can try if it kills my X server also
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
if this helps
if u post ur html file u want validated i can try if it kills my X server also

Isn't this considered flooding??? Thank you for your posts, but this is not about testing a css, but rather a HUGE url (form put, or javascript href, search, hashmark); since one can make a malicious webpage to kill a browser if it is running linux AND firefox; please read my post more carefully.

But afaik this whole thing doesn't matter; this is an exploit in my dictionary, if noone really cares, it is fine with me, I'll stick to the noscript extension - no more reply notifiction for this thread.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to worry.all are caring .
i was posting on the understanding that ur firefox kills ur x server at some point.
and to prevent x failure due to firefox or any other browser was only my interest in this.
i have no idea about css and validation.
u have given the links to check the browser failure /x failure when it validates a css
if i have understood ur post wrong its my mistake.
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

This might be a problem specific to Gentoo: after upgrading the kernel, the nvidia binary driver, firefox, the desktop and xorg (and the whole system tree), the crash still can be reproduced on my amd64 installation and on my 32 bit installation as well - but NOT on Knoppix, Kanotix, Ubuntu, Fedora Core.

For the adventurous ones: open w3c org's css validator here, fill up the textarea with tons of random data (NOT the file upload area) and then post it.
linuxinit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a very similar issue, I opened a file in Mousepad. It had one VERY VERY VERY long line that appeared to just repeat over itself a few times. Imagine typing a sentence on a typewriter, going back, and typing another one, and repeating that a few times. This happened even though I had text-wrapping turned off.

Anyways...

Here is the error message I recieved, along with a hardlock:
Code:
X[733] general protection rip:a392eb rsp:7fffffb26dc0 error:0

Maybe it has to do with very long, single lines of text?

By the way, I think this is just coincidence, but I was opening the firefox prefs.js file. ;)

I could try opening it again, and somehow try to snap a screenshot of it, but the hardlock was almost instant. :S

So much for my uptime. :(
linuxinit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried opening the same file with bluefish and I also got a hardlock. Then I tried to just cat it in Terminal and also recieved a hardlock. I used nano to open it in tty and it was fine. It appears to be an Xorg issue with displaying LONG LONG LONG lines of text. The prefs.js file just happens to have a few very long lines of text (adblock filters and no-script whitelist).

Anyone know a simple one-liner to display a line of characters, adding 1 each time, and logging to a file? That way we could determine what number of characters is causing this to happen.

Code:
gordon@genfoo ~ $ X -version

X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 x86_64 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux genfoo 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP Tue Apr 18 21:11:33 CDT 2006 x86_64
Build Date: 10 May 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present

My gfx card is a 256mb Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 at 4xAGP (i have problems with 8x).
Video bios version: 04.34.20.69.65
Driver version: 1.0-8756 (hacked to force 4x because my bios is a piece of crap)

Code:
gordon@genfoo ~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.16-gentoo-r2 (root@genfoo) (gcc version 3.4.4 (Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8)) #1 SMP Tue Apr 18 21:11:33 CDT 2006

Cheers!
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: same stuff Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure it's the same thing, but I just don't get it why it didn't happen with all the other distros I tried?

Right now another deadly firefox lockup: try to download a rar file, let the default action open it (usr/bin/lynx - on Fluxbox usually this won't do anything) and... well.. the same again, but this time the magic raw+kill does nothing.

It might be connected, it might be not, but since there are times when I post large amounts of data via get, the error mentioned in the post is a pain in the back for me.
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun: happens with Debian stable too ;)
orlfman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox locks up my system sometimes too. It happens when its either loading a heavy site or loading 2+ tabs at once. Sometimes it just crashes when trying to view a video via mplayer-plugi. It also locks up just its self at random times.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: