Cedega and Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Cedega and Gentoo Reply with quote

I just read through Wikipedia and I read this [ http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega_(Software)#Reaktion_auf_Distributions-Pakete ], I have roughly translated it:

Quote:
Because distributions like Debian and Gentoo wanted to include Cedega in their distributions, Transgaming threatened those distributins with making the license even more restrictive to prevent this.

As far as I can see, Cedega is in portage. What happened?
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild is in portage in order to make maintaining hte package easier, however if you try and merge it you'll notice that you have to manually go get the source (which IIRC is only available to subscribers of Cedega). Its the same thing as the sun java runtime.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about Cedega anyway? Wine is getting better all the time, fast. :)
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:

I care in that Transgaming reneged on their initial promise to backport all of their advances to the original Wine sources. Instead they lied to the open source community and have tarnished our image. If you think Wine is getting better now, think of how much faster (and better) it would be if we were working together as a group.
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get rid of the big evil Windows, you have to get to the little evil Cedega ;)

Btw (I didnt want to open another thread): What about Cedega 64bit? Is it working fine with 32bit games?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

I care in that Transgaming reneged on their initial promise to backport all of their advances to the original Wine sources. Instead they lied to the open source community and have tarnished our image. If you think Wine is getting better now, think of how much faster (and better) it would be if we were working together as a group.

Exactly, death to Cedega!
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get rid of cedega. I tried it once but never got into it. Now I am trying to do an emerge -e world and am stuck at cedega. I dont see it in the world file but every time I do a emerge uD world I get stuck on this . I would like to get rid of it from the system.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for Cedega there'd probably be more _real_ applications/games ported to Linux.
Thanks.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmcogs wrote:
How do you get rid of cedega. I tried it once but never got into it. Now I am trying to do an emerge -e world and am stuck at cedega. I dont see it in the world file but every time I do a emerge uD world I get stuck on this . I would like to get rid of it from the system.

Ty "emerge -1tpv world" and see if something is requiring cedega like any of these:

Code:
ami ~ # eixs -c transgaming
[N] app-emulation/transgaming-fontinstaller (): font installer for WineX
[N] app-emulation/transgaming-mozctlinstaller (): Mozilla ActiveX control for Cedega
[N] app-emulation/winex-transgaming (): WineX is a distribution of Wine with enhanced DirectX for gaming

Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
If it wasn't for Cedega there'd probably be more _real_ applications/games ported to Linux.
Thanks.

That's true, apparently WoW were going to do a port but Cedga said "No no, it's ok, people can play it through our software!" despite the fact it normally doesn't work (and never perfectly when it does) and you have to pay for Cedega.

What that article refered to was Cedega being in Portage where it compiled the free version from their CVS. Apparently the CVS is there but people aren't allowed to use it. They just keep it there to claim that they are releasing the source for things (although lots of things are MISSING from the CVS and it's also very outdated now).

So yeah, if anything, support WINE. It's also better at almost everything than Cedega now aswell and doesn't charge for piss-poor service.
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks shan that did it for me. It seems imagemagick was looking for it. That was another problem but I seem to have solved it.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Transgaming reneged on their initial promise to backport all of their advances to the original Wine sources. Instead they lied to the open source community and have tarnished our image. If you think Wine is getting better now, think of how much faster (and better) it would be if we were working together as a group.

how can they do that? i mean, that would mean violating the GPL, right? basing your product on GPL software and making it commercial with no source available.

i'm starting to think that transgaming cvs repository is broken on purpose. it probably falls way behind actual cedega development. *sigh*

edit: did you notice that cedega is not listed on winehq.org in "commercial wine versions?". hmmm

Last edited by yoshi314 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
i'm starting to think that transgaming cvs repository is broken on purpose. it probably falls way behind actual cedega development. *sigh*

It's a LONG time out of date and is missing most of the Direct3D code and all the copy protection code.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:

how can they do that? i mean, that would mean violating the GPL, right? basing your product on GPL software and making it commercial with no source available.
hmmm

WINE used a BSD license when they forked Cedega off it.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

WINE was originally BSD then the likes of Transgaming and Cross-office came along and well within the rights of BSD-licencing completely closed off their modifications and started adding fixes as well as charging for it

Both Cross-office & Transgaming promised to back-port their modification (with Transgaming saying that when they so much $$$)

whether it was because of this taking of the code or what WINE decided to transfer a build to the GPL licence (thus stopping anything like that happening again with this new codebase)

Transgaming then went since WINE moved the goal-post they were not going to back-port anything, Crossoffice I believe does give snippits back
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-over Office is part of the Wine team. Anything that gets into C-O gets into Wine eventually. They are Codeweavers who also do the paid support/patches for Wine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: