Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge 32-bit mozilla-firefox (not mozilla-firefox-bin)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jowizzle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: emerge 32-bit mozilla-firefox (not mozilla-firefox-bin) Reply with quote

I'd like to compile Firefox with FreeType support (mozilla-firefox-bin doesn't have it) while still retaining support for 32-bit plugins. It seems that I can't get emerge to merge only the 32-bit tree. I've tried masking amd64, but no luck. Any tips? Thanks very much...
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have 64bit libraries on your system and cannot compile 32 bit code to run with these libraries. They may include the glibc libraries or various other run-time libraries.

There is a way to get a 32-bit environment running on amd64 installs, however. You need to set up what's called a 32bit chroot. Then the libraries get installed there. Then for all intents and purposes you have 2 seperate installs, one base system in 64bit and one 32bit system just with the programs you want/need to run 32bit.

I don't understand this well myself but there are instructions somewhere around www.gentoo.org/doc/en/.

I don't think I did this , I may have used the binaries or I may have just emerged the ~amd64 version of firefox. I never set up the chroot, it was too big a pain in the ass. I don't know whether my amd64box's firefox has chroot support or not.

if you have another computer you could always just run firefox from there instead, defeating handily the purpose of having blazing fast 64bit processor ; ) ask for help forwarding x apps if you want/need it.

good luck
jsnorman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
you have 64bit libraries on your system and cannot compile 32 bit code to run with these libraries. They may include the glibc libraries or various other run-time libraries.

There is a way to get a 32-bit environment running on amd64 installs, however. You need to set up what's called a 32bit chroot. Then the libraries get installed there. Then for all intents and purposes you have 2 seperate installs, one base system in 64bit and one 32bit system just with the programs you want/need to run 32bit.

Right idea, but you do not need to do a chroot just to cross compile. Easier to set up the cross compiler toolchain provided by (not surprisingly) crossdev package, then probably distcc (even though you are not going to distribute processing to TARGET, I think you still need to do this).

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml

I was about to try this out today for the exact same reason, as my wife has been complaining about the fonts since I went to mozilla-bin in order to fix the flash issues (need 32 bit for flash plugins to work right).

After setting up crossdev and distcc, should be easy to install i686 toolchain, create make file, download source tarball for firefox, and compile custom 32 bit code. Install into /opt so as not to get confused with 64 bit version, and setup links to /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use 32-bit plugins, I suggest trying nspluginwrapper.

There's an ebuild here: http://dev.gentoo.org/~herbs/nspluginwrapper/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: