Cups Isn't Printing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Cups Isn't Printing Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a printer error, or something I did stupid, so I put it here.

I set up cups, got everything working. /dev/lp0 prints fine from console, but i need cups working so i can add it as a SAMBA printer. i can set up the printer fine, but as soon as i try to print a test page, i get a 403 error. makes no sense to me. if someone can enlighten me by tomorrow morning, i'll be grateful.

Thanks in Advance :)
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 403 error sounds like HTTP "access forbidden". If so then you are getting this in your browser while connected to cupsd via http://localhost:631/

My guess is that you need to make sure that you login as root (with root's password). I don't think you have to worry about sniffing IIRC I recently read that connections via localhost do not produce any activity on your network connection.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little background on the system...

i'm a high school student interested in linux, a huge surplus of computers from my dad's clients (he gets old computers after he puts in new ones :)), and a cable connection. what better way than to set up my own little server? :p

so, that being said, i have really no need for security, as my LAN is behind a firewall. i'd like to keep it somewhat secure though, if only to keep in line with industry standards.

i'm able to log into http://localhost:631 just fine, and i can do everything but print a test page. keep in mind, i've been too lazy to set up X, so i'm running this all in console, and i'm still somewhat of a n00b :). when i go to print a test page, i get a 403 error, like when i try to use apache on a directory root other than "/home/httpd/htdocs". it's really confusing me, as i followed the printer installation guide to the letter. cups knew that i have a printer on /dev/lp0 as when i set up cups, it displayed my printer name (HP LaserJet 1100). it just seems that when i try to print anything through cups, it fails. and i'd rather not be stuck doing it through console... :p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: