USB CF-Reader/SCSI-emulation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: USB CF-Reader/SCSI-emulation Reply with quote

Hello,

this is my first post after sucessfully installing gentoo on my ASUS L3500D laptop named "Defiant". It was hard to find a laptop not infected by XP, but I kept on searching and finally found it (behaving defiant :wink:).

The Installation Guide and several other docs helped alot, but now even this forum provided no solutions. Guess I've to ask:

I have an usb reader for compact flash cards. I've included the necessary Modules for USB, USB-HID, USB-storage, SCSI-emulation (complete list: refer to x86 installation guide, cd-r note; haven't tested the burner yet), SCSI-disk support, multiple LUNs in my kernel. Kernel's working.

My optical usb-mouse -part of the laptop package- is functioning perfectly, hotplugging included. If I plug in the CF-card reader it is detected and I can find entries in /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/bus/usb/devices and /dev/scsi/... but no entries /dev/sdx (x = 0..n)? Because it's a CF-I and CF-II reader, two LUNs are detected.

But: If I unplug the reader, the corresponding entries are not deleted. If I replug the reader, new entries are created. Former being device scsi0, the reader becomes scsi1, then scsi2 etc. Mounting seems nearly impossible. What's wrong?
snkmoorthy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf"

assuming you have vfat FS in the card and a mount point called /mnt/cf
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound like a silly question, but do you have a CF card in the reader? A /dev/sd* device will not show up until you do.

Here are the fstab entries for my mp3 player and camera (both CF):
Code:

/dev/sdc1           /home/diva  vfat        rw,noauto,users,uid=1000,gid=100    0 0
/dev/sdd1           /home/cpx   vfat        rw,noauto,users,uid=1000,gid=100    0 0

This avoids the issue of the musical scsi devices.
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: solution? Reply with quote

1.) The main problem was that new devices were created with every re-plug. First you have scsi1, then scsi2, etc. Entries in /dev/s* are duplicated, too.

2.) A card was inserted, but /dev/sd*-entries are only created with existent SCSI disk support --which was missing or mis-loaded(?)...

Ok, I fixed this problem with the help of this thread! :D
The multiple-devices-problem is solved with yannick's script: simply unload the scsi-modules! I don't know why they are not unloaded automatically. The /dev/sd*-problem is solved by loading the SCSI disk support module after hotplug detected the usb-storage-device (see the script below).

I created a directory /var/run/usb and a file /etc/hotplug/usb/usb-storage:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
# Frank Abelbeck
# April 2003
#
# Skript für Transcend Card Reader

insmod sd_mod

echo "#!/bin/bash" > $REMOVER
echo "rmmod usb-storage sd_mod scsi_mod" >> $REMOVER
chmod a+x $REMOVER

These two lines were added to the /etc/fstab-file:
Code:

/dev/sda1     /mnt/smartcard     vfat     rw,noauto,user     0 0
/dev/sdb1     /mnt/flashcard     vfat     rw,noauto,user     0 0

and finally there must be two additional mount-points:
/mnt/smartcard
/mnt/flashcard

[It's a Transcend 3-in-1-card-reader: CompactFlash I, CompactFlash II (e.g. IBM Microdrive) and SmartMedia. I only own CF I cards (from my camera) and I can access them in LUN1, i.e. sdb1. CF I and CF II use the same connector (size is the only difference between them, imho). Thus SM-cards ought to be accessible in LUN0, or sda.]

Configuration:
Hotplug is up and running (remember, my optical mouse is functioning),
SCSI-Emulation and other necessary stuff is compiled as kernel module.
ide-scsi, scsi_mod, sr_mod and sg are listed in my /etc/modules.autoload (I've not tested the CD-R/RW-part of my combo drive yet, but to be prepared...). And, of course, SCSI disk support (sd_mod) is needed as module --it's installed if hotplug detects an usb-storage (and calls the script above)

gentoo ... a real bastler-system *sigh*
;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: