Why wma do not play in xmms??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oompawampa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Why wma do not play in xmms?? Reply with quote

Why wma do not play in xmms?? I aready install xmms-wma, but do not work, only works in mplayer, why???

My gentoo is 2006.0, but in my 2005.1 works fine

Thanks
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the use flag win32codecs maybe?

Quote:
dan@pascal ~ $ cat /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc | grep win32
win32codecs - use win32codecs package for dll avi decoding support (wmv and what not)

granted it says avi decoding but just a guess. I know there is a way to support win32 codecs, I think you have to download a package of them all which can then be used with linux. but i'm afraid there's a catch that I too am suffering from : 32 bit widows binary codecs can't be used w/ 64-bit programs. you need a 32-bit chroot to do that I believe. I have found that I can play a few -- a small few -- .wmv files on my amd64 machine. I doubt you'll have better luck, although i wish you the best.

Win64 codecs should eventually be available, but since microsoft is way behind on 64bit support we unfortunately will have to wait. in the mean time, damn it people , encode your media in a universal codec, not Windows Media Player format! jeez. I think .wmv is just a wrapper format anyway, like avi, so it doesn't even add features. It's just crap and I hate it.

good luck, sorry i couldn't be more helpful
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to install xmms-bin (32 bit) but there is no such thing:

Code:

emerge -s xmms-bin
Searching...
[ Results for search key : xmms-bin ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

all I can suggest is that you grab a 32 bit xmms fedora RPM and extract it. The same problem exists with mplayerplug-in....there is no mplayerplug-in-bin and you need to find your own pre compile 32 binary to watch WMV files ... I just extract the pluging from an RPM.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could build the binary in chroot with 32-bit lib. it's basically the same thing, just that fedora has already compiled it for you, if you don't mind having no control over the application.
oompawampa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinigami@Hamster ~ $ cat /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc | grep win32
win32codecs - use win32codecs package for dll avi decoding support (wmv and what not)

I´m using the win32codecs flag, but not work... I will try in the other way

Thanks
rastilin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xmms does not use the win32codecs flag so my guess is that it can't play wma files.

http://www.gentoo-portage.com/media-sound/xmms

Mplayer does support it however so I'd say that's your best bet.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read above....64 bit xmms will not work with win 32 bit codecs ... get it ?
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: codecs, etc Reply with quote

1) i don't think the flag is the only way to use win codecs. I remember vaguely downloading a whole set of them to a computer once. But I couldn't use them becasue it was a 64-bit computer. But if you have the right bit-size codec for your xmms and its libs you hsould be able to play the file.

2) read multilib and 32-bit chroot howto, follow it, and you may well be able to play the few windows media files you have.

3) maybe a converter is available?

4) get another copy of the meida, this time in a standard (read: half-decent) format.

good luck
oompawampa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: I solved the problem, converting my wma files to mp3 (not all of course...) but thanks

PS >>Sorry, my english is bad!!!<<
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: how Reply with quote

will you help me?

how did you convert wma to mp3 ?

i tried this before but with no success.
s.j.o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik:

If you can get an mplayer-bin and win32codecs installed, you should be able to do something like the following:

Code:

mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm -waveheader filename.wma
lame -m s audiodump.wav -o filename.mp3
rm filename.wma

Assuming that you want to use lame to do the encoding.. I keep my music .ogg format so I can't guarantee the above lame command is entirely correct (took a quick look at the man page, but I didn't test).

Anyway, if mplayer can play it, you can use its audio dumping to convert to any format for which you have an encoder. I also use it to rip audio tracks from video.

You said you tried converting before with no success, so I'm hoping this way wasn't what you had trouble with :wink:
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: megathanks Reply with quote

thanks for the help.

I was actually trying to do more of a standalone wmv2mp3 kind of thing. The likelihood that one doesn't exist is high in that I never found one.

I will try out your method. It looks promising.

The reason I want to convert is, for the most part, not because I cannot watch them but because I don't like having so many different media types. In my conception of what using a computer ought to be like, if you can play one media file, you should be able to play all of them of the same media type -- eg video, audio, etc. So that's the real issue here, and why I mentioned the fix in passing and didn't actualy post about it. ; )

Thanks again. Woo hoo, I can finally get rid of those accursed wma and wmv files. I hate them so...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: