Octane Boot Problem (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frapazoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Octane Boot Problem (SOLVED) Reply with quote

So I've got this 99% working on my Octane2.

One problem: No booting on volume header - and I have read the other threads on this topic. Solutions used there fail on my system.

The 2.6.12 "530" IP30 install image kernel ~will~ boot up off the volume header.

However, niether the 2.6.15 nor 2.6.16 kernels, the only ones availible in portage (apparently), don't go. They boot succesfully over tFTP, however. This problem is documented, I know.

I tried pulling the exact kernel config from /proc/config.gz and compiling with that, and while the kernel builds just fine, it hangs at "Entering Kernel" even though it netboots fine. So the newer kernels - given the exact same configuration - do not work. I did remember to run "make oldconfig" and tried this exactly as describe in the current manual.

So what I'm wanting to do is run the 2.6.12 kernel, but it doesn't show up on portage so here's the process I went through:

*First I download the sources from kernel.org.

*I apply the IOC3 patch from Skylark's page first, then the IP30 patch. I use this command to patch:

patch -Np1 < ioc30.patch
patch -Np1 < ip30.patch

The first one patches cleanly but the second says "hunk failed" a few times.

*I import the configuration file from /proc/

*It won't run make at first because of the lack of a mips64 or asm-mips64 directory. I symlink the mips directories to make mips64 dirs. This could be the problem right here but I don't understand why it fails here but doesn't have this problem on the Gentoo provided sources.

*I run "make vmlinux CROSS_COMPILE=mips64-unknown-linux-gnu" (or whatever it was, I'm not at that computer at the moment.)

It builds through all the way to the end then it stops at the last step - linking - because of a bunch of errors about missing references to DMA and the like. However, I did make sure to enable building of IOC3 master driver.

Basically, how to I get these kernel sources to properly build?

MIPS R12000 400mhz - 1536 Megs RAM - Impact SSE Video Board - 10k RPM 73gig SCSI - Gentoo Linux

Athlon K7-Thunderbird 1000mhz - 512 Megs RAM - GeForce 5.2 128meg Video - 5k RPM 40gig IDE - Fedora Core

Last edited by Frapazoid on Fri May 26, 2006 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel build troubles Reply with quote

Frapazoid wrote:
So I've got this 99% working on my Octane2.

One problem: No booting on volume header - and I have read the other threads on this topic. Solutions used there fail on my system.

The 2.6.12 "530" IP30 install image kernel ~will~ boot up off the volume header.

However, niether the 2.6.15 nor 2.6.16 kernels, the only ones availible in portage (apparently), don't go. They boot succesfully over tFTP, however. This problem is documented, I know.

This is why arcload exists. :-)

Quote:
So what I'm wanting to do is run the 2.6.12 kernel, but it doesn't show up on portage so here's the process I went through:

*First I download the sources from kernel.org.

Whoopsie! For MIPS machines, you need to use the sources from linux-mips.org.
Run emerge git on a machine, then follow these instructions to grab the kernel sources you need. Be prepared for a ~300MB download.

Quote:
*I apply the IOC3 patch from Skylark's page first, then the IP30 patch. I use this command to patch:

patch -Np1 < ioc30.patch
patch -Np1 < ip30.patch

The first one patches cleanly but the second says "hunk failed" a few times.

Yeah, IOC3 is used a bit with some of SGI's non-MIPS boxes ... the other though, is strictly MIPS-only.

Quote:
*I import the configuration file from /proc/

*It won't run make at first because of the lack of a mips64 or asm-mips64 directory. I symlink the mips directories to make mips64 dirs. This could be the problem right here but I don't understand why it fails here but doesn't have this problem on the Gentoo provided sources.

That's because we apply a diff that updates kernel.org sources with stuff from linux-mips.org. :-)

Quote:
*I run "make vmlinux CROSS_COMPILE=mips64-unknown-linux-gnu" (or whatever it was, I'm not at that computer at the moment.)

It builds through all the way to the end then it stops at the last step - linking - because of a bunch of errors about missing references to DMA and the like. However, I did make sure to enable building of IOC3 master driver.

Basically, how to I get these kernel sources to properly build?

Yep... this would be caused by the lack of properly patched sources. Try it against the sources those patches were generated from, and you might have some better luck. :-)

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Frapazoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM using Arcload :o Not THAT dumb.

Is it okay if I just grab the tarball instead of the GIT thing?

MIPS R12000 400mhz - 1536 Megs RAM - Impact SSE Video Board - 10k RPM 73gig SCSI - Gentoo Linux

Athlon K7-Thunderbird 1000mhz - 512 Megs RAM - GeForce 5.2 128meg Video - 5k RPM 40gig IDE - Fedora Core
Frapazoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEESSSS THANK YOU JESUS (and also Redhatter)

It boots off the drive header :)

Except I forgot to compile in the SCSI driver so I have to do this again but it BOOTS. OMG.

I've been fighting with this thing every night til 3am for the last week and a half. (It's 5:30 AM now but only cause I was so tired I went to bed immediately after work and now I woke up super early to continue the battle.)

I got FireFox to work here by running it on my server and making it show up on the SGI using remote X.

So now if I just get gphoto2, ftp and a few other apps to work, I'll be able to take this enourmous thing to my office and use it at work ^_^

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: