Trouble with sound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Trouble with sound Reply with quote

I have installed Gento 1.1a, X, Alsa, and the Nvidia accelerated drivers and it is all working perfectly - except for the Alsa sound. I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with onboard CS4236 sound. I believe it is supported by Alsa and I know it is supported on other Linux distributions.

When compiling the Kernel I selected install sound and installed the SoundBlaster drivers since I didn't see any CS drivers (this worked on another distribution after some tinkering). Now, after reading through some of the other posts here I am unsure what to do.

Should I reload the whole thing, not select any sound drivers and then follow the installation documentation? If so what do I put in place of the EMU10k1?

Is it possible to remove the drivers from the kernel without recompiling? If so would it be better to do it this way?

Please help!
TheHaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: I fought with ALSA Reply with quote

. . . just this weekend, and had no luck. For some reason, it could not (or would not) find my Soundblaster AWE32 (yeah, old card).

What I did is unmerge alsa and then re-compiled the kernel with SB16 support via module (under OSS drivers). This goes against what everyone else will tell you (because they think that OSS is evil) and most apps would rather support alsa. But if you can't get Alsa to work, give this a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: