View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: DrScheme, X.org 7.0, and segfaults Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm sure this is a relatively obscure problem, but I'm curious to know if anybody can help out nonetheless.

DrScheme loads up just fine, until it gets to the end of the loading process, at which point it attempts to fire up MrEd, the editing window. At this point, it segfaults. I've tested this on two X.org machines that are at version 7.0, and they both segfault at the same point. The compiler doesn't matter, one system was compiled using gcc 3.4.5, the other running stably for every other package with GCC 4.1.0 beta (latest snapshots).

GDB backtrace tells me that it's segfaulting when a call is made to the WxWindows::SetFont() that is bundled with the software. However, this call obviously completes when run on a X.org 6.8.2 machine.

Anyone run into this or anything similar, and if so, short of downgrading to X.org 6.8.2, is there anything else I can try?
steiny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got absolutely the same problem. At first drschem complained about unable to load libXaw. But after a rebuild of drscheme it sefaults at exactly the same point as yours.
Maybe it misses a module of xorg which isn't pulled in automatically? Something that has to do with fonts ;-)

okay. no solution atm. :-(
chutzpah
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a bug with DrScheme, it doesn't like some X.org 7.0 installations, it might be a font issue, though I haven't managed to track it down yet. I have one installation with X.org 7.0 that it works on, which has almost every font in portage installed, so my best guess is that it is missing a font.

I don't have time at the moment to track it down, but if someone manages to track down if it is missing a particular font package, let me know so I can add a dep on that font :).
tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug added here:
Bug 127709
fredtheflyingfrogofdoom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved this problem by copying the contents of /usr/share/fonts/misc from a machine with X 6.8.2 to mine (with 7.0 modular). I also had to restart X before it noticed the new fonts.
The contents of /usr/share/fonts/misc is different between the two. However, equery says that everything in /usr/share/fonts/misc on that box belongs to xorg-x11.
So, the problem is that one of the fonts was broken out into another package, which drscheme should depend on. Is there any way to find out which one that is?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: