Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 4.1.0 - is it safe/worth ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maverick6664
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 409
Location: Tokyo / Japan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried gcc-4.1.0 on the other machine also, but abandoned because it won't compile any version of pam with selinux enabled. So I have only one machine compiled with gcc-4.1.0 and it's very stable and looks fast. I like this one if selinux isn't enabled (usually it's off).
_________________
Tetsuji Rai
a.k.a. Lukiest in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 1260
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 4.1 with very few problems. I had to add faad2 and libdv to ~86, but that's it. Very painless considering that 4.1 is considered hardmasked. :-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer


Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Freehold, NJ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
I just upgraded to 4.1 with very few problems. I had to add faad2 and libdv to ~86, but that's it. Very painless considering that 4.1 is considered hardmasked. :-)


http://www.advogato.org/person/halcy0n/diary.html?start=41

Specifically, look at the "GCC" part :)
_________________
Mark Loeser
http://www.halcy0n.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AxisDigital
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 32
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Latest results Reply with quote

I'm now running a 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 kernel compiled with GCC 4.1. Everything seems to be working well.

lyx compiled correctly
gtkhtml-1.1.10 is relied upon by gtk-perl

That leaves essentially one package that I KNOW doesn't work: gtkhtml-1.1.10-r1
I haven't checked glide-v3 since I don't need it.

I suppose I should file bug reports, shouldn't I?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kidel Fastro
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Kraków / Poland

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to emerge openoffice with gcc-4.1 ?
Im recieving errors but i am not sure weather this is the matter of gcc or some ooo bug.
_________________
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AxisDigital
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 32
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Openoffice Reply with quote

No, just OpenOffice.Org-bin. One, because from what I've read OpenOffice.Org is very tempermental; Two, this thing is a Pentium 2 and would probably take a week just to get it running.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 1614
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidel Fastro wrote:
Did you try to emerge openoffice with gcc-4.1 ?
Im recieving errors but i am not sure weather this is the matter of gcc or some ooo bug.


Usually a C[XX]FLAG/LDFLAG issue. I use gcc-4.1 and I had no issues when I stripped the flags down to a basic -O2 -march=$MARCH -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AxisDigital
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 32
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Update on my experiences Reply with quote

Ok, I took the plunge and updated to xorg-x11-7.0-r1 and mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.3

Verdict? Firefox seems to work well thus far (no obvious hideous crashing nonsense); X compiles ok; and the official Gentoo workthrough for Modular X works. There are only a few little problems:

* Many applications- most notably xterm- are broken, looking for libXaw.so.8. A simple recompile helps. Using revdep-rebuild I tracked down the ones on my system:
media-gfx/graphviz
app-text/tetex
sci-visualization/gnuplot
media-libs/t1lib
media-libs/plotutils
sys-apps/groff
x11-terms/xterm
games-puzzle/xbomb


* xdm requires sessreg but doesn't list it as a dependency. Without it, I'd log into the system and xdm would just restart. It only worked once without.
* be sure to run etc-update before rebooting, to replace xdm config files. xdm looked awful in its failsafe defaults.
* conky output was a wonderfully hideous shade of pink (magenta really) when I started it that first time. Somewhere between emerging sessreg and re-emerging conky (probably the cause) it went back to normal.
* Xorg's RGB font color table is now at /usr/share/X11/rgb. xterm (where I noticed it) and [/code]presumably anything else that relies on X.org's color table will look wrong until you replace the RgbPath line in xorg.conf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mathfeel
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Aug 2004
Posts: 698

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more comfortable upgrading if I understand more about the relationship/hierarchy between toolchains, glibc, libtools, gcc and the rest of the system. Been using gentoo as desktop system for a while now and feel that it's about time for me to understand the whole gcc system a little better and take a little rick of upgrading to an unstable (as far as gentoo is concerned anyway) version. Any pointer to book/webpage about gcc and linux in general?

Meanwhile, I emerged gcc-4.1.0-r1. want to know if the following would suffice:

Code:

#gcc-config (appropriate number)
# emerge -eav system && emerge -eav world


Also, what is a safe CFLAG? my current info
Code:

# emerge info
Portage 2.0.54-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre19
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
dev-python/pycrypto: [Not Present]
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.4.3-r4, 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r6
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.utf-8"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dnow X aalib acl acpi aim alsa apache2 audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cdr cjk cli crypt cups curl dba directfb divx4linux dri dts dvb dvd dvdr eds emacs emacs-w3 emboss encode esd exif expat fam flac foomaticdb fortran freetds ftp gd gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gps gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal howl icc iconv icq idn imagemagick imap imlib immqt-bc inifile innodb ipv6 isdnlog jabber java joystick jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kdexdeltas lcms ldap libg++ libgda libwww lirc mad mikmod mime ming mmx mmxext mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mpi msn mssql mule mysql mysqli nas ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin odbc ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oscar oss pam pcmcia pcre pdflib perl php plotutils png pnp posix postgres pppd python qt quicktime readline real reflection ruby samba scanner sdl session slang sockets socks5 spell spl sse sse2 ssl subversion svg svga tcltk tcpd tetex tidy tiff truetype truetype-fonts trusted type1-fonts udev unicode usb utf8 vhosts videos vorbis wifi wmf xine xinerama xml xml2 xmlrpc xmms xorg xpm xsl xslt xv xvid yahoo zip zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS

_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weedy
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 239

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathfeel wrote:
I'd be more comfortable upgrading if I understand more about the relationship/hierarchy between toolchains, glibc, libtools, gcc and the rest of the system. Been using gentoo as desktop system for a while now and feel that it's about time for me to understand the whole gcc system a little better and take a little rick of upgrading to an unstable (as far as gentoo is concerned anyway) version. Any pointer to book/webpage about gcc and linux in general?

Meanwhile, I emerged gcc-4.1.0-r1. want to know if the following would suffice:

Code:

#gcc-config (appropriate number)
# emerge -eav system && emerge -eav world


Also, what is a safe CFLAG? my current info
Code:

# emerge info
Portage 2.0.54-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre19
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
dev-python/pycrypto: [Not Present]
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.4.3-r4, 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r6
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.utf-8"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dnow X aalib acl acpi aim alsa apache2 audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cdr cjk cli crypt cups curl dba directfb divx4linux dri dts dvb dvd dvdr eds emacs emacs-w3 emboss encode esd exif expat fam flac foomaticdb fortran freetds ftp gd gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gps gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal howl icc iconv icq idn imagemagick imap imlib immqt-bc inifile innodb ipv6 isdnlog jabber java joystick jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kdexdeltas lcms ldap libg++ libgda libwww lirc mad mikmod mime ming mmx mmxext mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mpi msn mssql mule mysql mysqli nas ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin odbc ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oscar oss pam pcmcia pcre pdflib perl php plotutils png pnp posix postgres pppd python qt quicktime readline real reflection ruby samba scanner sdl session slang sockets socks5 spell spl sse sse2 ssl subversion svg svga tcltk tcpd tetex tidy tiff truetype truetype-fonts trusted type1-fonts udev unicode usb utf8 vhosts videos vorbis wifi wmf xine xinerama xml xml2 xmlrpc xmms xorg xpm xsl xslt xv xvid yahoo zip zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=<your cpu here> -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" are whats considered safe (and sane for that matter), if you want to learn about the toolchain read this (then use it :p) http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-282474-highlight-emwrap.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mt6561
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to rebuild my Gentoo with GCC 4.1 and such CFLAGS:
Code:

CFLAGS="-O3 -fmerge-all-constants -fmodulo-sched -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las -fgcse-after-reload -floop-optimize2 -funsafe-loop-optimizations -fsched2-use-superblocks -ftree-loop-linear -fivopts -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -fvariable-expansion-in-unroller -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fweb -frename-registers -fpeel-loops -fbranch-target-load-optimize -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -march=pentium2 -mmmx -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math"


but got an error message:

checking for intltool >= 0.21... 0.34.2 found
./configure: line 2088: test: nan: integer expression expected
configure: error: Your intltool is too old. You need intltool 0.21 or later.

at near 1/3 of packages :(

What is it and how can I solve that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mt6561 wrote:
I'm trying to rebuild my Gentoo with GCC 4.1 and such CFLAGS:
Code:

CFLAGS="-O3 -fmerge-all-constants -fmodulo-sched -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las -fgcse-after-reload -floop-optimize2 -funsafe-loop-optimizations -fsched2-use-superblocks -ftree-loop-linear -fivopts -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -fvariable-expansion-in-unroller -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fweb -frename-registers -fpeel-loops -fbranch-target-load-optimize -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -march=pentium2 -mmmx -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math"



Consider Your speed gain (theoretical I would say) vs troubles to find bad CFLAG when something goes wrong.
There will be much more fun when given CFLAG won't break a library itself but some app linked to that library :D
Just my 99,7673$ ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tekara
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 56
Location: UofI, Moscow

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, back off on those cflags; most of them have been shown to slow your system down at best and cause major instability at worst. gcc 4.1 is a different animal from the prior 3.x series, just go with a a simple set of Cflags "-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointers".
_________________
The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway. - Bernard Avishai
Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AxisDigital
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 32
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I've read, --ftree-vectorize breaks applications (GTK+) on systems*, and --ffast-math apparently completely messes up floating point arithmetic. I don't know about any of the others, but -funsafe-loop-optimizations doesn't sound terribly promising or stable. I wouldn't be surprised if -O3 implied a few of those flags anyway.

I'd get rid of most of those CFLAGs...

*I may be thinking of -fvisibility-inline... but they've both had problems in the past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmare
l33t
l33t


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 619
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc 4.1.1 is released! http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/
does that mean that now gcc 4.x will finally enter ~arch?
_________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 1776
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
gcc 4.1.1 is released! http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/
does that mean that now gcc 4.x will finally enter ~arch?


According to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, yes, that's going to happen sometime this week.
_________________
Jingle Jangle Jewellery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 260

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
gcc 4.1.1 is released! http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/
does that mean that now gcc 4.x will finally enter ~arch?


quoting http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060522-newsletter.xml
Quote:

The long awaited moment of GCC 4.1 being unmasked has almost arrived. The toolchain team will be unmasking gcc-4.1.1 this week after it is released. The upgrade should be incredibly easy and require no additional work to install and use. The number of applications that do not compile with gcc-4.1 is extremely small now, and most users should not experience any problems with ~arch packages not compiling. To upgrade to the new version (assuming you are using gcc-3.4), all that is required is to upgrade GCC and then select the new profile using gcc-config. If you are upgrading from an earlier version of GCC, please refer to our GCC Upgrading Guide for more detailed instructions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer


Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Freehold, NJ

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
gcc 4.1.1 is released! http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/
does that mean that now gcc 4.x will finally enter ~arch?

Yup, I'm compiling it right now and waiting for the distfiles to mirror. Then I'll commit the ebuild and let it sit for awhile, then remove the p.mask tonight after no one tells me it exploded for them :)
_________________
Mark Loeser
http://www.halcy0n.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michel7
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 461
Location: localhost

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Halcy0n

let us know if gcc411 final is already in portage and unmasked ... thx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer


Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Freehold, NJ

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmasked, give it about an hour or so for the rsync mirrors to update.
_________________
Mark Loeser
http://www.halcy0n.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 1776
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unmasked it myself, noticed this at the end of the build-

Code:
--- !empty dir /etc
 * gcc-config: Could not locate '*' in '/etc/env.d/gcc/' !
 * Running 'fix_libtool_files.sh 4.1.0'


Doesn't seem to have caused any harm though. I changed make.conf to AUTOCLEAN="yes" just beforehand (is this wise? make.conf.example got updated and says 'no' is a bad idea, so I'm guessing 'yes' is good).

Now to rebuild the toolchain yadda yadda....
_________________
Jingle Jangle Jewellery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 1614
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.1.1 built fine for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maverick6664
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 409
Location: Tokyo / Japan

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is vectoralization of 4.1.1 reliable? 4.1.0 wasn't...:(
_________________
Tetsuji Rai
a.k.a. Lukiest in the world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zietbukuel
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 606
Location: /dev/peru/lima

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are this CFLAGS safe for gcc-4.1.1?
Code:
CFLAGS="-mtune=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -msse2 -msse3 -m3dnow

Thanks
_________________
AMD FX 8350 8-core CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
1TB (Gentoo) + 500GB (Windows 7 for games) HDDs
Nvidia 550 GTX Ti 1Gb Ram DDR5
Cooler Master CM690 Case
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GetCool
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Nov 2003
Posts: 324
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zietbukuel wrote:
Are this CFLAGS safe for gcc-4.1.1?
Code:
CFLAGS="-mtune=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -msse2 -msse3 -m3dnow

Thanks


Yes, those are safe for a Venice core (or X2), but a better (less complex) way to write them is:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -msse3"


The above will achieve the same effect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum