Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why the hell does portage depend on tar?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Why the hell does portage depend on tar? Reply with quote

Seriously why is it that Portage basically needs tar in order to be able to do much in the way of anything? I accidentally downgraded Glibc [Its only after I realize my box is totally screwed that I found out that downgrading glibc isn't a good thing to do.] and I am busy trying to ressurect portage and probably a quarter of my box at the moment and I cannot help but think how easy it would be to just unzip a glibc zip archive and have the thing build and install and presto box=teh fixed. But of course that isn't the case instead Portage is rendered useless which means that I have to go through the extract stage tarball emerge -e system bull or find a way to get the sources for glibc2.4 onto my desktop and then install it. What is more has anyone ever noticed how the makers of the tar program actually package thier releases as tar files isn't it kind of like saying "sorry you need Gentoo installed in order to actually install Gentoo in the first place."? I think I will file a feature request for a way for portage to neatly override a broken tar and use some other archive formats to extract sources so that they [hopefully] can be rebuilt so that things like tar and other apps that need a given version of glibc can be made to work without all the song and dance.

Ps. I know ebuilds need not actually use tar I just couldn't think of a better way to put it.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, in the future, just activate the "static" USE flag for the tar ebuild...
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use busybox, it has all the tools you need
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Off the Wall
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Moved from Off the Wall
Wow I think that's the first time I've seen a thread moved out of "off the wall".

Anyways I'm thinking that portage needs tar becasue almost all sources that are built for Linux are packages as a tar.gz or tar.bz2. For portage not to depend on tar they woudl need to host all packages themself and repackage them another way.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
pjp wrote:
Moved from Off the Wall
Wow I think that's the first time I've seen a thread moved out of "off the wall".

Anyways I'm thinking that portage needs tar becasue almost all sources that are built for Linux are packages as a tar.gz or tar.bz2. For portage not to depend on tar they woudl need to host all packages themself and repackage them another way.
I think he is saying 'why does portage need tar to un-tar something' because if you dont have tar you cannot un-tar it, it is then a circular dependency
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Cokehabit I've managed to get things to untar by hacking ebuild.sh and pointing tar to /bin/busybox tar but now glibc2.4-r1 wont build keeps complaining about makeinfo and telling me to use --force to preserve lbc.info when it gets around to building the documentation. [I forgot to copy the error down, I'll paste it when it fails again in about an hour or two.] Right now I am just building things against 2.3.6 until I figure out what the problem is with 2.4.
Update:
Hmm after screwing around with coreutils and such Glibc successfully installed, everything appears to be working again.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you dont have to say it, i know i'm god :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: