Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Integrate force-rebuild-mechanism in portage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taladar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Integrate force-rebuild-mechanism in portage? Reply with quote

I updated my system today after a month or so (was busy otherwise, usually I run "emerge -vauD" more often) and lots of packages got updated. I needed to run revdep-rebuild for a few libraries and perl-cleaner for some perl modules. Then I started wondering: Why is there no mechanism in portage (other than spitting out text to warn the user) to force the rebuild of dependent packages.

Often the ebuild writer knows about the problem. There should be a way to specify in an ebuild which other packages need to be rebuild after installing it, either as an explicit list or in a form "all ebuilds depending on this one need to be rebuild".

Perhaps there could be a portage option (similar to --deep) to allow the user to ignore those rebuilds and it should probably ignore them automatically when installing a new ebuild-revision for the same package version or reinstalling the same package-version (unless forced to honor them with another command line option).

What do you think, would this be useful in situations where we use stuff like revdep-rebuild, perl-cleaner,... today?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: