Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Another redhat server converted to gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copland007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Another redhat server converted to gentoo! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop by and give a big thanx for the great info in the forums here. It took me a few weeks, but I was able to get a production site running on gentoo! Originally running RedHat 7.1 being run into the ground, I opted to give gentoo a try and am very impressed! Server is pumping out about ~30G/month traffic happily.

Only had a few bumps along the road but every question was answered here already :)

I invite you all to stop on by for a visit at http://www.acurainspired.com
If nothing else you'll see some nice cars :)

Peace out!

-copland007
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It's good to hear that Gentoo is working for you as well. Also - that site looks very slick. Keep up the good work. :)
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is good. less RH, more Gentoo. yay!! :D
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
zeky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same story here 8)

echo RH > /dev/null
echo gentoo > *

--zeky
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have more specifics as to the increased performance / increased load you are able to handle under Gentoo? I'm looking for such stats to justify switching some servers in my lab.
copland007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya: Thanx, glad you liked it :)

mghumphrey: I don't have hard numbers but the speed increase is noticable. I am very pleased with the speed increase and have already started converted more servers to Gentoo :)

For example, I run a php application 'Gallery' on my site which is known for being horrible in memory and cpu utilization. In fact it was causing my redhat kernal to spit out the error "Out of Memory, killing process xxxx". It went on killing sprees ultimately crashing the machine in a hissy fit (extremely annoying).

Prior to one of these crashes, running 'free' showed +/- buffers at only 1200k available memory in redhat.

Now with gentoo 'free' shows about 220000k available memory under similar load.

A function of moving an image in gallery with redhat would take about 20-30 seconds on average to display options page (while it loads all album info). With gentoo the same function takes on average 5 seconds.

And on another note, administration of core packages and up-to-date software is an absolute breeze with portage, OMG I love emerge!

Hope this helps.

-copland007
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a ex-redhat user. I have been running my servers on redhat since version 4.2. In the years (and its been a few!) that I have been running redhat I always thought that I was happy with my distribution of choice... I have experimented with other distros over the years, but I never found one that gave me the mix of control and ease of administration that I required.

As Strongbad would say, redhat has been DELETED...

Gentoo has givin me a new found love of linux. I havn't been this excited about using linux since the early days of installing slackware off of like 30 floppies!

So I would like to offer a big Thank You to all that have helped with Gentoo! I hope to be spending the next 5 years of my linux computing here!!!
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RedHat 7.3 server running various things: Apache web server, mail server, Samba server for streaming my oggs & MP3s plus other bits & bobs.

After successfully installing Gentoo on my Athlon XP2000+ main PC and my PII 300Mhz laptop, a spare hard drive has been installed in that server which I will build the Gentoo installation on (chrooted, while RedHat 7.3 continues to serve on the existing hard drive) and eventually transfer to that.

It's going to take time... it's an original Pentium 90MHz! Just upgraded the RAM from 24Mb to 80Mb just to get some breathing room while compiling stuff.

Wish me luck!
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site, very snappy, I might add.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a RedHat 7.3 server running various things: Apache web server, mail server, Samba server for streaming my oggs & MP3s plus other bits & bobs.

After successfully installing Gentoo on my Athlon XP2000+ main PC and my PII 300Mhz laptop, a spare hard drive has been installed in that server which I will build the Gentoo installation on (chrooted, while RedHat 7.3 continues to serve on the existing hard drive) and eventually transfer to that.

That was me three weeks ago. After the occasional maintenance, mainly waiting 24 hours for emerge -u system to complete and learning where the config files are, the new Gentoo server was officially booted at noon today!

Things are a tiny bit faster, but the real reason for switching for Gentoo is not having to reinstall when a "new release" comes out. Just an occasional emerge rsync && emerge -u world will take care of things.

All the above software is working perfectly, just need to tidy up behind the scenes things like log rotation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: