I don't have an opinion but I like to vote
3%
 3%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 388

Deepak420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that nano should be the default editor, though vi should be available without needing to emerge it.

Monkeh wrote:
I have never typed man vi or man vim. Nor have I read any page informing me how to use it. The basic use of vi took me about 30 seconds to get down.

So you mean that you started vi and magically knew how to change from insert mode to normal mode and vice versa (and just the fact that these modes exist) in addition to saving files, closing the editor, or quitting without saving without learning from some source?
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepak420 wrote:
Monkeh wrote:
I have never typed man vi or man vim. Nor have I read any page informing me how to use it. The basic use of vi took me about 30 seconds to get down.

So you mean that you started vi and magically knew how to change from insert mode to normal mode and vice versa (and just the fact that these modes exist) in addition to saving files, closing the editor, or quitting without saving without learning from some source?

It pretty much came to me. You may find it hard to believe, but I actually have one hell of a knack for learning things myself. Pressing insert to change mode was pretty obvious to me, and all it took was a few seconds of fiddling to figure out how to input commands.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least nano still worked for me where vim did not because of a borked glibc.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano - purely for usability.

I remember the first few times I tried to use vim. The first one you have to get over is "What? Why the hell isn't it typing what I type?" - then you discover it has 3 modes - command, insert and replace and you have to go into insert or replace mode to edit anything.

Now how do I save and exit? NFI. Where's the help? NFI.
Some time later after asking questions you finalyl discover how to save, close and get the _massive_ help up - and if you're lucky, how to search through the help to find what you want without having to navigate the maze of chapters.

Then you want to search and replace? Yay - now you have to learn the <sarcasm>wonderfully simple</sarcasm> syntax of regular expressions (I'm talking from the point of a newbie here, who may never have don any programming).

Nano:
Search? Well you press the key combo at the bottom of the screen.
Replace? That's under search (which is logical and easy enough to find)
Save? Again, right there in the command list.
Quit? Again - right there.

Yes, when users get more advanced they'll probably be wanting to learn vim or emacs, but as the defualt editor of a stage 3, I'd say nano. And I should hoope that anyone who wants to use vim is intelligent enough to realise it's a short "emerge vim" away.

Allen
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<off-topic>Regular expressions are a real mind fuck I had to dive right into them for a little wrapper script I was writing even the incredibly well written Programming Ruby had me completely and utterly lost with regards to regexps.</off-topic>

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:

Well that's great, but not everyone is able to grasp the use of it so quickly, not myself, and not many other people in this very thread. If you can, power to you, but unless you're trying to say that it took you longer to learn Nano, then your argument is kinda worthless. Mileage varies person to person, but its generally a consensus that Nano is simpler and easier to use for the newbie (and sometimes for the seasoned user) than Vim.

@AllenJB: You basically made the point I was trying to make. I agree 8)
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote nano since nano is simple and intuitive.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:

Seconded!

Monkeh wrote:
vim is insanely easy to use. If you can't work out how it works in under 30 seconds, you shouldn't be using Gentoo, no, you shouldn't be using Linux in the firstplace.

Your forum rank seems to fit your attitude! :P
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Ateo wrote:

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.
Perhaps, but Nano is a lot less unintuitive then editors like Vim, which are (arguably) much more powerful but carry the price of a steeper learning curve.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted vim because thats just the way things should be. I still think nano and vim should be installed by default because I have had vim break during perl upgrades.
wuzzerd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always ed or we could port in edlin from dos. ;)

I say nano since joe isn't there. It looks a lot like pico. Funny Suse always installs joe and mc for me, no one else does, at least in gentoo I can emerge them right away.

I've been using Linux forever and the most frustrating thing for me is to get stuck in vi when someone has set it as default editor.

Another option is to use echo, and have a big sed tutorial to help correct errors. Lol...
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Perhaps, but Nano is a lot less unintuitive then editors like Vim, which are (arguably) much more powerful but carry the price of a steeper learning curve.
But nano results in :wq and :i throughout all your files. :lol:
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omp wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:
But nano results in :wq and :i throughout all your files. :lol:
You just need to get away from those ugly Vim habits and embrace Nano's beautiful simplicity. :P
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano - because it's simple and everyone can use it easily. The Live CD is supposed to be helpful, not push people into getting skills with some editor.
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it really matters, as long as you give somewhat of an introduction in the handbook. Basically all they need to know is "i" to insert and ":wq" to save and quit editor. If a new user can't handle that they shouldn't IMHO be using this distro.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted vim. I love emacs, but it might be a bit overkill as the default editor. And I like vim a lot, too.

I just hate nano. The first commands I type after chrooting when installing are: env-update; source /etc/profile; emerge --sync; emerge -C nano; emerge vim.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's overwhelming majority use of vim where Gentoo is concerned, that alone is reason enough to *include* vim in the stage 3 tarball. I mean it is on the LiveCD afterall, its a bit of a pain using vim on the livecd, then chrooting you're back to nasty old nano. :/
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using VIM once, just to check it out. I had no way to close it so I just shut my whole computer down and turned it back on.

It's not easy to use. No way in heck should VIM be default.

I tried using Emacs. Luckilly, I was able to instinctively guess that the menu had to be an F button (F10). So I could close out of it. It took me 5 minutes to learn Emacs. However, I don't think people want to take 5 minutes to learn to use an editor.

No way in heck should Emacs be a default editor.

Nano is mindnumbingly easy to use, and has all of the instructions at the bottom of the page. It's perfect for newbs and quick editing, which is what most newbs will do: use their default editor for 10 seconds and then jump as fast as they can back into their fancy graphical desktops.

Nano fits the bill. I dare you to try and find a windows user who has never heard of Linux to attempt to use VIM. If they are anything like me, they won't figure out how to exit the thing... :lol:
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dare you to try and find a windows user who has never heard of Linux to attempt to use VIM. If they are anything like me, they won't figure out how to exit the thing... :lol:

Yes, once upon a time that was indeed me. The real problem with vim isn't that it's actual usage is hard, it's that for a novice user, its usage is decidedly non-obvious. The presence of nano on the install cd was one very important piece of what made gentoo easy to pick up--it had a text editor that I could figure out how to use.[/quote]
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
I tried using VIM once, just to check it out. I had no way to close it so I just shut my whole computer down and turned it back on.

..... Seriously? Wow... killall vim...

Quote:
I dare you to try and find a windows user who has never heard of Linux to attempt to use VIM. If they are anything like me, they won't figure out how to exit the thing... :lol:

And these people should be using Gentoo..?
stealthy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Vim or Nano Reply with quote

This is personal opinion, please don't get mad at me :)

For the longest time I had been using nano, as many other have pointed out (cause it straight forward etc. etc.), any newbie can see how to use it and stuff, and basically stayed stuck to it, it wasn't until, when I was fooling around with config files etc later on, I started to think there has to be better editor, I am not quite sure if I even understood what the word, "better", entailed. On one hand, I was used to gui editors, and on other I had and wanted to learn cli editors.

In nano, moving left, right, up, down, typing text is easy and straight forward but thats where it ends. So one day I ended up installing vim(simply by looking whats available in app-editors)

low and behold, I had something I didn't know how to use. Not to just give up so easy, I must have figured out command mode /insert mode within first 10 seconds, and right at that point, I realised I already have as much functionality as nano, once i was in insert mode that is. It was actually the command mode what enticed me.

Ever had to search for 1004th line in a file, make changes put it somewhere else....it was so easy. Now let me clarify easy. See the way I looked at it, only few basic things in nano were intutitve, rest you had to look up, as to what the command was, which is no different in vim. I think, a person, already needs to know what they want the editor to do or be capable of. I am not saying nano is any less capable than vim or vice-versa, its just that learning vim while initially was cumbersome and hard..but that initial phase only lasted about 20-30mins, after that vim became so much easier and faster to use. This is wierd because I had just started using vim about 2 months ago, before than for about past 6 years I've had been using nano.

In the end I should point out, that I found learning the command syntax for vim to be easier and that was the selling point for me, some might find nano's easier, all the power to them. In the end, all I wanted was an editor which was smarter than a typical notepad.

sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
sonicbhoc wrote:

Quote:

And these people should be using Gentoo..?

First time not using a GUI. I didn't know how to kill a process from a command line.

And anyone who's adventerous and would actually read the manual and use a CLI install because they would like to TRY NEW THINGS (A.K.A. me) is fit for using Gentoo.
mrsteven
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of the fact that I am an Emacs user, I've also voted for nano, since it is small and easy to use. Emacs is too fat and vim is too difficult to use, especially when you install Gentoo for the first time you are busy enough with learning how your new operating system works. I don't know how many users also want to learn how to use an editor, then.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
sonicbhoc wrote:

Monkeh, you treat everyone like they should know everything about VIM from birth. Give me a break and realize that even if you're as l33t as you claim to be with your text editting skills, not everyone is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: