Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED JAN03/06! (old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying patch 1.10 using wine 0.9.6 + wow-patches works flawlessly. Sadly I can't test it any further as all the servers in EU are down till 16:00 CEST. :?

--- Edit ---
After doing ST a couple of times I've encountered no problems, patch 1.10 seems to be working (haven't witnessed the weather yet ;)) and dancing ferals rock. ;)

Last edited by Ivion on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the European realms have come up and everything seems to work fine. There's a new feature in the patch downloader too; it will be started to the background while you play WoW and it will share the latest patch to other players. Luckily it can't be turned off from the preferences of the downloader.

[edit] Did some reading and found out that the background downloader doesn't share the patch, but it instead downloads the next patch piece by piece over a long period of time (using only little bandwidth) so that when the next patch is released, you have already downloaded the patch. Some might like that, some might consider it a pointless waist of system resources. I also noticed, that when I tried to disable the downloader, and when I restarted WoW the downloader started again. Haven't done much of testing about it, but it seems like the setting won't be saved for some reason. There's a simple workaround to it though: delete or rename BackgroundDownloader.exe found in WoW's directory.
mmx87
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Cedega 5.1.2 with patch 1.10 but I get the following problems described here... http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5709

So I tried the latest CVS of wine (0.9.10?). I was able to start wow in opengl mode, but the menu was very very sluggish. The mouse moves choppy-like, and it takes about a half second for text to appear after I type it in the login box. The sound also stutters...I played with the sound buffer size in config.wtf. I tried values from 70-300; although, the sound is still choppy. I tried using both ALSA and OSS but the same problem happens. I can get into the game, but the game is very sluggish as well, and I get about 1 FPS max.

I tried applying the wow-patches (I tried without first because I heard somewhere that you didn't need them?), but only about half of the patches would apply with the CVS version...I decided to go with it and compile anyways but I get the same problems as without the patch.

Next step, I saw someone had success with Wine 0.9.6 + wow_patches. So I followed the AMD64 portage overlay setup on page 12 of this thread.. Everything installed smoothly, however, I have the exact same problems as before.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I would much appreciate help, as I am clueless as what to do next...

Thanks alot,

Brad

AMD Athlon 64 3.2GHz
512MB DDR 400 RAM
Nvidia 6800GT AGP 8X 256mb
Linux kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r1
b1f30
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmx87 wrote:
I tried Cedega 5.1.2 with patch 1.10 but I get the following problems described here... http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5709

So I tried the latest CVS of wine (0.9.10?). I was able to start wow in opengl mode, but the menu was very very sluggish. The mouse moves choppy-like, and it takes about a half second for text to appear after I type it in the login box. The sound also stutters...I played with the sound buffer size in config.wtf. I tried values from 70-300; although, the sound is still choppy. I tried using both ALSA and OSS but the same problem happens. I can get into the game, but the game is very sluggish as well, and I get about 1 FPS max.

I tried applying the wow-patches (I tried without first because I heard somewhere that you didn't need them?), but only about half of the patches would apply with the CVS version...I decided to go with it and compile anyways but I get the same problems as without the patch.

Next step, I saw someone had success with Wine 0.9.6 + wow_patches. So I followed the AMD64 portage overlay setup on page 12 of this thread.. Everything installed smoothly, however, I have the exact same problems as before.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I would much appreciate help, as I am clueless as what to do next...

Thanks alot,

Brad

AMD Athlon 64 3.2GHz
512MB DDR 400 RAM
Nvidia 6800GT AGP 8X 256mb
Linux kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r1

As root:

# eselect opengl set nvidia

Log out, restart X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE), log back in, start WoW, blow stuff up.

That should do it for ya.

:-)

P.S. For what it's worth, I've had the best success compiling my ALSA with OSS support, and setting up wine to use OSS for sound. Your mileage may vary! Works great for me!
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from the World Of Warcraft Howto/Support sticky.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: