View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: X woes...can't run on new install Reply with quote

Installed gentoo on a homebrew (Athelon 64 with Biostar K8M800-M7A motherboard, named "audio64") and everything went swimmingly until I emerged X, then...not so much.

Followed the handbook, "Xorg -configure" failed to properly find the mouse (/dev/mouse instead of /dev/input/mouse0), once fixed ran "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" with crappy resolution (640x480), but hey, I can always fix that later, right? So I copy to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, run "startx," and...*thud* no joy. X server shuts down immediately, .gnomerc-errors contains:

Code:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/audio64:/tmp/.ICE-unix/14252
metacity: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :0.0.

Hum...check xorg.conf and find:

Code:
Section "Device"
     Identifier   "Card0"
     Driver       "vga"
     VendorName   "Unknown Vendor"
     BoardName    "Unknown Board"
EndSection

Ok, that explains the crapy resolution. I looked in the motherboard manual (using on-board video) and on Biostar's website, and it appears this motherboard has a VIA chipset. But I can't find any VIA chipset as an option in the kernal config.

I've searched around, and read through various doc files with no enlightenment, but still I'm pretty sure I'm missing something really basic. So please be gentle with me when you point me to whatever simple information I missed...

Seiously, any help/suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked xorgconfig (which I believe is the same as Xorg -configure) lts too generic for my tastes...

Try this:

xorgcfg

It should give you a good X config, hopefully detect your mouse, and give you a much larger display, doing a lot of the autoconfig for you - whenever I install X on a new system, this is the route I go.

Also, can you please paste your xorg.conf as well as some hardware specs on your system after you try what I mentioned above?

Xorg.conf should be in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Specifically, I'll need to know what type of video card you have as to what driver we'll need to use.

Though xorg can usually guess this, we'll want to perform some sanity checking. Good luck with it!
cdebaes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the output of lspci?
(You need to be root to do this. If there is a complaint on that the command does not exist. Try emerging 'pciutils' first).
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdebaes wrote:
Can you post the output of lspci?

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)

Hum...S3 Unichrome Pro...the only thing I see in kernel config is the S3 Savage, which is not selected for inclusion. "Unichrome" sounds familiar somehow, although I can't find any mention in the Device Drivers/Graphics Support section offhand. (And yes, I am a little embarassed I didn't look here before posting...)
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaseburn wrote:
Try this:

xorgcfg

It should give you a good X config, hopefully detect your mouse, and give you a much larger display, doing a lot of the autoconfig for you - whenever I install X on a new system, this is the route I go.

He, he...it hangs at a 640x480 screen; when I CTL-ALT-Backspace out, I see:

Code:
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
        No such file or directory

(I admit I don't understand the intricacies of why /dev/input/mouse0 seems to be a hardware standard, yet ignored by the software, but then there's a whole lot about X I don't understand...)

phaseburn wrote:
Also, can you please paste your xorg.conf as well as some hardware specs on your system after you try what I mentioned above?

Since there was a failure here, and I'm pretty sure the problem is that I don't currently have the kernal drivers for the hardware card (see my other reply), I'll hold off posting the rather generic xorg.conf until that problem gets fixed.

phaseburn wrote:
Specifically, I'll need to know what type of video card you have as to what driver we'll need to use.

Yep; again, see other reply. I should have had that information available before my initial post; sorry 'bout the exclusion.
CharlieSummers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the "bump," but I'm ot sure what to do next.

I assume my problem is needing drivers for the S3 Unichrome Pro lspci reports on the motherboard. I think I'm supposed to use either the project at openchrome.org or the one at unichrome.sf.net, but I have to be honest and tell you I don't know which one, or frankly how to install/compile.

I've searched all over and couldn't find it, but if someone can point me to a walk-through of the steps required to get X.org set up to use the S3 Unichrome Pro my motherboard has integrated, I'd really appreciate it. I don't need 3D rendering support, I don't need hardware MPEG support, I just need X running so I can set up the audio software this computer is going to be using.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: