Ultra 5 booting from a disk on module?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Ultra 5 booting from a disk on module? Reply with quote

Ive been thinking for a while about shifting my Ultra 5 away from the dog of an ide controller onto scsi.
I have a scsi card that works but is not bootable so I thought I might be able to boot from the 128mb PQI DiskOnModule that I have lying around.
But, Im having problems. I cant seem to get fdisk to give it a workable sun disk label or format it properly. Ive tried running it on both my ultra 5 and blade 100. The ultra 5 appears to write a disk label but then says that it has a bad checksum when it reads it back. On the blade 100 it just says straight away that I wont be able to write a partition table. The module has no readonly switch but does have a master/slave switch - I wondered whether the Ultra 5's tendancy to like drives on cable selct might be an issue. Any ideas? Anyone got any other sort of DOM or compact flash to work plugged into an ultra 5/10 or blade ide socket?
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got working a CF->IDE adapter with a CF flash card just fine, was a small (~ 32 MB) card but just enough to hold a couple of kernels.
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and got a compact flash card and ide adaptor and it worked straight out of the box.
Not as neat and tidy a solution as the dom that just plugs straight into the ide slot but at least it works!!

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: