convince me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: convince me Reply with quote

seriusly consideing to switch to gcc 3.1, but how hard is it to work around programs that won't compile? Any quick way of compiling stuff with 2.95 if 3.1 doesen't work as it's supposed to?

Or do I have to manualy edit the Makefiles to use the old version / send diffrent flags to the compiler.

also noticed that my --emptytree world -p doesen't show all installed packages (did a grep for blackbox for example, isn't there, neither is any X libs).
katakombi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: DONT! Reply with quote

it's possible to keep gcc2 installed.
It should be no problem, as long as you compile just small c packages with gcc 3.1

Be aware of c++ code generated by gcc 3.1 is not binary compatible to those from gcc2.
Thus, projects which depends on certain c++ libraries require reemerge with gcc 3.1

As my system is heavily broken because of those reasons, i really cannot suggest to install gcc3.1 as default compiler yet.
And therefore, seeing no reason to install it anyway, since speed isnt an issue on small simple packages but the kernel or system packages (glibc, binutils, etc)

handle with kare,
--kata
pbienst
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bootstrapped my entire system using 3.1, with no trace of 2.95. In this way there are no problems with binary incompatibilties between gcc versions.

My system works like a charm, although I sometimes had to lower optimisation flags to compile certain packages.
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my system from scratch with gcc3. So far, it's gone flawlessly. *knocks on wood* In the middle of compiling X right now. So far, I haven't had any of the problems that most people seem to complain about. I'd highly recommend using the new 1.3 tarball if you decide to install with gcc3. It seems to be very well put together.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think I'm gonna make an image of my main linux partition using the current gentoo system and go grab 1.3 right now :)
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. So you know, the only problem I've seen so far is gnome-terminal failing to compile. Gonna figure out why as soon as the rest of gnome finishes emerging.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC3 to tossup between OTG, Portage & Programming, and Chat. Goes in P&P as a sort of "Help Gentoo upgrade" question.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: