Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Solved (was: snd-hda-intel works only with acpi=off)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At mine laptop (A100-436, gentoo 2007.0 linux2.6.21) most of mentioned hacks were already included! Nevertheless sound is still not working... Yesterday it was, I wonder why (I recompiled my kernel since than but did not touch sound options)?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabol wrote:
At mine laptop (A100-436, gentoo 2007.0 linux2.6.21) most of mentioned hacks were already included! Nevertheless sound is still not working... Yesterday it was, I wonder why (I recompiled my kernel since than but did not touch sound options)?

Forgive me if this is too obvious, but do you need to re-remerge alsa-drivers?
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not too obvious. Firstly, because I use the in-kernel drivers. Secondly, sound works, it's only very quite! I can hardly hear anything at maximum volume.
For now I've found another solution... I've got an external USB soundcard that I can use, but this doesn't satisfy me. In this recompilation I included Acpi/Fan support and added suspend support. Now I've removed Fan again since I don't even know what this, but I don't want to try to remove suspend also. And it's still not working properly (maximum volume makes the sound barely hear-able).
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabol wrote:
Well, it's not too obvious. Firstly, because I use the in-kernel drivers.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if the CX20551 mods made by Tobin Davis had made it into the in-kernel version. If they have, I might revert to kernel modules myself.

jabol wrote:

Secondly, sound works, it's only very quite! I can hardly hear anything at maximum volume.

OK then; does the new kernel have custom DSDT support enabled? That would be my next guess.
jabol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Just as on the wiki mentioned on page 2 of this thread. The only thing is that all the patches that I should have applied were already included. It's a bit weird. The only thing that I done was to spoof the OS to Win 2006... I would try setting acpi=off and try it out, but I'm compilling openoffice now...
Funny thing is that my hda-intel devices mixer *has no* volume control! I can only set mic gain, no PCM/Speaker/Master!

EDIT:
Code:
May 31 14:35:53 localhost ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
May 31 14:35:53 localhost ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
So now I'm sure...
shaundennie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to get the gpu fans working in a BIOS > 2.4. Essentially, in 2.4 there are hacks for a pre-release version of Vista that force the fan to remain a constant speed. Once Vista was released these hacks were removed (presumably they moved them to the WMI junk for Windows) and so a simple BIOS fix/compile isn't enough to fix the fan problem. You can find some good information for fixing it in > 2.4 starting about half way through the second page of this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75995

If any low level developers are following this post, let me know. If VTMP could be exposed via /proc/acpi/embedded_controller it would be trivial to write a fan controller daemon (But, I don't know enough about low level level stuff to know how to expose it). Hell, it might even possible to send the BIOS mods to Toshiba and convince them to use them. Probably wouldn't be a far stretch to then get nvidia to pickup the speed control code ("cat speed > /proc/acpi/embedded_controller/tosh_fan).
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.

Basically, the idea seems to be to set the VTMP value to something low-ish (0x3C in the discussion) which gives you an always-on-but-not-overly-loud GPU fan.

I've just tried it here and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. That said, I believe I'm still on bios 2.4 so there may be other vista hacks sabotaging the attempt.

(This'd probably be better posted to the discussion on the NVidia forums, but I always have trouble posting there for some reason).

[edit] removed stuttering
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was painful.

I upgraded to 3.30, applied the changes shaundennie pointed out, made allowances for a different model (PSPA3E) as best I could... and it didn't work. In fact,
even with the computer basically idling (nothing but X) then temp still steadily climbed.

So I went to the tosh web site to get a downgrade and couldn't find one. I was sure I'd seen an archived downloads links somewhere, but nowhere in sight now. Never mind, I thought, I can use the backup the WinPhlash util made. If I run the toshiba .exe again I expect it'll detect that the bios is up to date and give me the option of reverting using the backup. At the very least it should do nothing since I'm up to date.

Alas what it did was reflash my bios, clobbering the backup in the process.

Luckily I found the remains of my 2.40 upgrade luring in the recycle bin and could use that to flash the bios back. If anyone has a PSPA3E stuck on 3.30, feel free to send me a PM.

Now I'm back in 2.40 and my CPU temp goes down as well as up, so some level of cooling must be taking place. I'd just like it to be a little more pro-active.
aardman65
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: New version of BIOS for Satellite P100 : a solution ? Reply with quote

I have Ubuntu 7.04 32 bits (kernel 2.6.20-16-generic) on my laptop Toshiba Satellite P100-448 (Satellite P100 PSPAD - 01300WFR) with 1 Go Ram + sound card Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) Conexant CX 20549 (Venice) + Bios Phoenis 3.30.
My problem is obviously that I have sound only with acpi=off !

1. I have updated my alsa-driver and lib and utils to the version 1.0.14 and tried few DSDT [http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/] but still no sound.
2. Is downgrading my BIOS to 2.40 is the final solution ? : where can I upload it ? (I'm french and there is no BIOS 2.40 on the Toshiba french site) and how can I proceed to downgrade ? (I'm a newbee and a little bit scared about the downgrading process : I can loose my guaranty if it fails)
3. Since the 27 th of June, there is a new version of BIOS (3.80). Will it solve the problem of sound+acpi ?

Thanks for your help
jessi3k3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've been closely examining this thread for the last two days and I finally fixed all my sound problems! Thanks guys! I have a Toshiba P105-s9337 with BIOS 3.80 . As some of you know (or not) toshiba locked this laptop from downgrading to the 2.40 BIOS although the components are exactly the same compared to an XP laptop of a similar model. Anyways I am using Ubuntu 7.04 (kernel 2.6.20-16-generic) and at first all I was missing was sound. Everything else worked fine (Wifi, GPU and CPU fans, etc) except for the Sound. I fixed the DSDT and recompiled it into the Kernal and all works fine! Wierd thing is that whenever I would boot with acpi=off Ubuntu would boot up and then I would get a blue screen telling me something about my video card and if I want to analyze the eror. When I hit no it would take me back to the black screen with text and just froze. Anyways, everything is finally fixed. Thanks to all of you for all the input.
bertrandnantes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: cant add 1 go ram after applying the new dsdt. Reply with quote

hi guys,

i fixed few months ago the dsdt folloxwing your advices and i got the sound well on my festy. unfotunatky i tried to add 1go Ram and now
my linux is not starting anymore. i now this is linked to the dsdt nut i dont knopw what to change in it to fix it.

if i try to put the initialo dsdt the computer starts with the 2go ram but i ve no sound...

any idea?

thanks
Martin LORANG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I've got a P100-197 PSPA3E (french model with 1Gb RAM) with a recent upgrade to BIOS v3.80
With this trick acpi, sound and gpu fan (constant speed) works for me.
I did following changes in my DSDT :
changed all the _T_0 to T_0, _T_1 to T_1, ... , _T_7 to T_7
changed the *PNP to PNP
added at the end of the BTST and EVNT methods
Code:
Return (Package (0x02){0x00, 0x00})

commmented out following lines from the _INI method and added the last line
Code:
//If (CondRefOf (_OSI, Local0))
//{
//    If (_OSI ("Linux"))
//    {
//        Store (0x03E8, OSYS)
//    }
//    Else
//    {
//        Store (0x07D1, OSYS)
//        If (_OSI ("Windows 2001 SP2"))
//        {
//            Store (0x07D2, OSYS)
//        }
//        If (_OSI ("Windows 2001.1"))
//        {
//            Store (0x07D3, OSYS)
//        }
//        If (_OSI ("Windows 2001.1 SP1"))
//        {
//            Store (0x07D4, OSYS)
//        }
//        If (_OSI ("Windows 2006"))
//        {
//            Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
//        }
//        If (LAnd (MPEN, LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1)))
//        {
//            TRAP (0x3D)
//        }
//    }
//}
Store (0x07D6, OSYS) // Fake Windows 2006

added at the end of the _REG method
Code:
Store (0x46, VTMP)

With 24°C room temperature, I get following temps from nvidia-settings
Store (0x30, VTMP) : 72°C after 5 minutes glxgears and 65°C after 5 minutes doing nothing
Store (0x3C, VTMP) : 60°C with glxgears and 52°C when idle
Store (0x46, VTMP) : 55°C and 50°C
Store (0x50, VTMP) : 55°C and 48°C

et voilà ! :D
rienko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorang, can you post your modified dsdt, I have a similar model P100-195 PSPA6E and the fixes are not working with the BIOS v3.80.
They used to work with the 2.4.

Something that puzzles me,
the current decompiled ACPI (3.80) is missing all the code you posted from the _INI method which I distinctly remember fixing when I've done with a previous 2.4 BIOS.

Hopefully your DSDT can help me figure out what I'm missing.
Martin LORANG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you'll find my modified DSDT
Hope this can help you

Martin
rienko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Martin,
My acpi did feel strange compared to yours, so I booted a clean minimal gentoo live cd, extracted it from a non-poluted source and applied the common fixes.
Afterwards a diff between yours and mine shows me that our ACPI is exactly the same only the assembly time changes.

I've got the fans up and running, but I still have no sound, well at least I can work without burning my fingers :).
I think the audio issues might be a kernel issue, so I will have the check that, since it stop working somewhere in the transition from 2.6.21 to 2.6.22.
LuisC-SM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin LORANG wrote:
Hope this can help you

Martin

Martin.

When you recompiled your DSDT, how many errors did you get? or it was all free of them?

I'm asking this 'cause I have BIOS 2.40 and after all I've passed to fix it (being a noob), I want to be sure that this fix will work for me too. My Toshiba model is a P105-SP921 (PSPA6U-006005) For Latin America and I believe is a model similar to yours.

Kind Regards

Luis

EDIT: Ok Martin, I found your file does not have any mistake (sorry for this question). However, I followed your instructions and still have 201 Erros. Any help will be very apreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by LuisC-SM on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
spyner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody

I have a laptop Toshiba p100 (PSPA3E). But i haven't any song. :(
I'm a beginner on Linux and i don't understand all of your conversation. 8O

Is it possible that one of you help me?
I would like you give me all steps to writ in the "Terminal".

Ifesle, maybe is there any frensh guy to help me?

thx for you help. :?

Spyner
LuisC-SM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuisC-SM wrote:
Martin LORANG wrote:
Hope this can help you

Martin

Martin.

When you recompiled your DSDT, how many errors did you get? or it was all free of them?

I'm asking this 'cause I have BIOS 2.40 and after all I've passed to fix it (being a noob), I want to be sure that this fix will work for me too. My Toshiba model is a P105-SP921 (PSPA6U-006005) For Latin America and I believe is a model similar to yours.

Kind Regards

Luis

EDIT: Ok Martin, I found your file does not have any mistake (sorry for this question). However, I followed your instructions and still have 201 Erros. Any help will be very apreciated.
Thanks in advance

UPDATE
Forget all about it. I went back to v2.4, however, thanks for the "Method (BTST, 0, NotSerialized)" tip, that removed the only warning I had. So now I have 0 errors and 0 warnings. :D
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned it elsewhere, but kernel 2.6.24 has support for connexant hda-intel chips built in.

Working fine here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: