Kernel panic on new SPARC64 install.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
triv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic on new SPARC64 install. Reply with quote

Due to a strange issue on my U60 mysteriously losing device nodes and therefore becoming unbootable, I performed a new install of 2006.1.

The install went quite well (except that net-setup did not work at all and left the network useless but that's not my issue).

I followed the instructions and installed sparc-cources and removed udev and installed devfsd as suggested.
I used the exact same .config as before so I fugured there shouldn't be any kernel issues. I was wrong. The following is what I see when trying to boot.

Code:

FATAL: kernel too old
Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init
 Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

And that's where it leaves me.

If the 2.4 kernels are too old for 2006.1, then why do the docs tell me to install it? Is there a 2.6 kernel marked stable for sparc?

If anyone has any clues about what I may be doing wrong, insight would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks
triv
jonathanross
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and have tried endless changes.

Can anyone please shed any light on this ?

Thanks,

J

Quote:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Mounted devfs on /dev
FATAL: kernel toUnimplemented SPARC system call 188
o old
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage3 for 2006.1 asssumes you are going to be using a 2.6 kernel, so the way it has been built will break if you use a 2.4 kernel in the way you are indicating.

If you wish to use a 2.4 kernel like sparc-sources, make sure /etc/make.profile points to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1/2.4 and perform an emerge -ev system inside of the chroot.

If you want to use a 2.6 kernel, make sure /etc/make.profile points to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1. Good packages to use for 2.6 kernels are gentoo-sources and vanilla-sources.
jonathanross
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason.

That's very helpful.

I ended up using 2.6 vanilla-sources and it appears to be quite stable (Netra T1 Ultrasparc IIi, 440Mhz).

It might be worth mentioning your comments in the troubleshooting section of the Sparc Handbook.

All the best,

J
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i've sent the doc updates to mention the 2.4 / 2.6 differences with respect to previous release, but maybe i'm wrong or it got lost.
Basically it's like this: releases up to 2006.0 used 2.4 as default, 2006.1+ use 2.6, though 2.4 is supported in /2.4 profiles.
If you use a newer (2006.1+) stage since it's built with 2.6 you gotta "roll it back" to 2.4 which is quite simple. You switch to the 2.4 profile, emerge -u linux-headers glibc, unmerge udev, merge devfsd and you're set (sparc-sources recommended).
triv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes, thank you, I went with gentoo-sources instead of rebuilding everything. So far, so good :)
psychocandy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel panic on new SPARC64 install. Reply with quote

triv wrote:
Due to a strange issue on my U60 mysteriously losing device nodes and therefore becoming unbootable, I performed a new install of 2006.1.

The install went quite well (except that net-setup did not work at all and left the network useless but that's not my issue).

I followed the instructions and installed sparc-cources and removed udev and installed devfsd as suggested.
I used the exact same .config as before so I fugured there shouldn't be any kernel issues. I was wrong. The following is what I see when trying to boot.

Code:

FATAL: kernel too old
Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

And that's where it leaves me.

If the 2.4 kernels are too old for 2006.1, then why do the docs tell me to install it? Is there a 2.6 kernel marked stable for sparc?

If anyone has any clues about what I may be doing wrong, insight would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks
triv

Ah. I'm getting similar....

FATAL: kernel toUnimplemented SPARC system call 188
o old
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Looks like its chopped the 'to' off the 'too old'...

Maybe I'll try again with gentoo-sources or something !!!!
tfaing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gust4voz wrote:
I thought i've sent the doc updates to mention the 2.4 / 2.6 differences with respect to previous release, but maybe i'm wrong or it got lost.
Basically it's like this: releases up to 2006.0 used 2.4 as default, 2006.1+ use 2.6, though 2.4 is supported in /2.4 profiles.
If you use a newer (2006.1+) stage since it's built with 2.6 you gotta "roll it back" to 2.4 which is quite simple. You switch to the 2.4 profile, emerge -u linux-headers glibc, unmerge udev, merge devfsd and you're set (sparc-sources recommended).

gust4voz, thanks for the help. A few questions:

1. when exactly do we do these steps. in the Gentoo Linux SPARC Handbook, it does say to unmerge udev, merge devfsd, but this is after the compiling of the kernel. Does it matter if you do any of these steps before or after compiling the kernel (compiling using the proper 2.4 profile of course)?

2. if i "emerge -u linux-headers glibc" right before the step to compile in the Gentoo Linux SPARC Handbook, it says the following

# emerge -u linux-headers glibc
Calculating dependancies... done!

!!!Error: the sys-devel/gcc-sparc64 package conflicts with another package; the two packages canot be installed on the same system together. Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

#emerge -pv linux-headers
[blocks B ]sys-devel/gcc-sparc64 (is blocking sys-devel/kgcc64-3.4.6)

What do you think I should do here?

Thanks so much!

Andrew
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gcc-sparc64 / kgcc64 blocking is a change we deemed necessary to simply other problems.
Basically unmerge gcc-sparc64, emerge kgcc64 and then your way as usual.
Note: it's not emerge -u linux-headers glibc, rather just linux-headers glibc because you may already have the latest available glibc and it will never compile otherwise (which is needed to get it into 2.4 love after switching the profile).
tfaing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gust4voz wrote:
The gcc-sparc64 / kgcc64 blocking is a change we deemed necessary to simply other problems.
Basically unmerge gcc-sparc64, emerge kgcc64 and then your way as usual.
Note: it's not emerge -u linux-headers glibc, rather just linux-headers glibc because you may already have the latest available glibc and it will never compile otherwise (which is needed to get it into 2.4 love after switching the profile).

gust4voz,

Where do you place the the additional things that you mention within the installation? I think I got it right because I can get it to boot, but I want to double check because I run into other problems concerning a usb keyboard (see below) that are probably unrelated but I want to make sure everything is legit up to that point. Here is the order that I do the changes that you reccommend with reference to the Gentoo Linux Sparc Handbook ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?full=1):

7a: Choose a Timezone.
NEW STEP: unmerge gcc-sparc64, emerge kgcc64
NEW STEP: emerge linux-headers glibc
7b: Installing the sources.

is this the right place to put this?

Ok, so after I do this, I get to boot, but the usb keyboard doesn't allow me to type in root and login, when I press keys it does give things, but the map is screwed up (ie, hiting 'a' give '[[4/' or something like that.) It is a type 6 usb keyboard and a SunBlade150. I tried installing as modules
(exactly how lsmod shows on the bootup cdrom):

ohci_hcd
usbkbd
usbhid
ehci_hcd
uhci_hcd

with varying combinatorical setups (only installing uskbd, not usbhid, installing both and loading one, loading both (i read somewhere that usbhid and usbkbd/usbmouse are incompatible) , etc. ) but any combinaiton still gives the same strange keyboard mapping. but the keyboard still doesn't work in the hard disk bootup. One last thing that I did was to, while in the cdrom boot up, rmmod some of these modules, and see when the keyboard stopped working and I found that the keyboard still worked in the cdrom bootup if usbhid, ehci_hcd, and uhci_hcd were removed, but stopped working if ohci_hcd and/or usbkbd were removed.

Has anyone with this setup had any luck?

thanks!
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the KEYMAP setting in /etc/conf.d/keymaps is set to "sunkeymap". Try changing this to "us" (or whatever the regular PC style keymap is for your locale).
tfaing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
My guess is that the KEYMAP setting in /etc/conf.d/keymaps is set to "sunkeymap". Try changing this to "us" (or whatever the regular PC style keymap is for your locale).

That worked. Thanks! I went back and read my favorite installation handbook again ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?full=1) , and saw that infact it reccomends that I switch this. I am not sure if I missed it, or whether it was just updated in the document. And if it was just updated, i wonder why they also haven't upadated the helpul unmerge gcc-sparc64 / emerge kgcc64 / emerge linux-headers glibc hint as well for the droves of people using the document and going the sparc-sources route.

But that is enough questions! just curious to know how things work around here. thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: