Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What to do after reaching the second stage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: What to do after reaching the second stage? Reply with quote

Hello,

If you haven't guessed by now, I am a newbie. But hopefully a fast learning one. I have been struggling to setup my sparcstation with linux for some time now. I tried redhat and suse, but haven't been able to get them to load. I think my cdrom drive doesnt like my cds.. :( Anyways, for whatever reason I can't get them to load properly. SO then I found this gentoo and I believe this will work for me. Trouble is, I never had to compile and roll my own linux. I got the sparc iso and it boots fine. I get past the first stage and after finally reading the text I typed "ramdisk" and voila' I'm at the second stage. (I couldn't figure that out at first.) But the next part is where I get stuck.

I tried typing the helptext.. to mount the cdrom and chroot and all. That works. I just can't seem to figure out what to type next. My hdd is a 800meg scsi (sda I believe) and I ran fdisk to make some partitions..but I'm not sure if I got them right. (Never had to do that before). I know it may seem like a basic easy question and all, but can someone give me a clue as to how to partition and what to do kinda verbatim from that point.

I hope to get this running soon. I hear it's a great os.

Thankx for any help given,

debug-
doug-
debug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm..you can disregard this. I think I figured out where I was going wrong. I didn't RTFM. I still am having trouble but I think I have a bad scsi cdrom or disc. But, I am learning quite a bit.

Hope this Forum takes off! I am really liking my Sparc.

debug-
doug-
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: