geforce3, DVI, & X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longtallugly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: geforce3, DVI, & X Reply with quote

quick: geforce3 switches from dvi to rgb when i run X

long:
alrighty, well... up 'til now i've been using gentoo for about 5 months on a cheap athlon 750 system, and decided it was time to put gentoo on my "better" (relatively speaking) computer. so far I have been able to solve problems with either by searching the forums etc. but this one has me stumped, and I don't see any other posts quite the same, if you know of a thread to point me to, please do.........

I've got a PNY geforce3 64MB DDR vidcard, and a 15" gateway flatpanel. the vidcard has 3 outputs: RGB, DVI, and S-video, while my screen only has DVI. it obviously works, because i can boot to the login, but when i try to start X, it switches to the RGB, even if there is nothing attatched to the RGB plug... then when i ctrl+alt+del it switches back to DVI. i know my XF86Config is at least mostly correct, since i plugged a moniter into the 15-pin rgb and XFree86 started X on the other screen. the one thing i found that might(?) be it is the BusID line (set to "PCI:1:0:0") but XFree86 -scanpci doesn't return anything to the console. Also tried setting
Code:
Option   "FlatPanel"  "True"
but that didn't do any good either. anyhow, if you want to see my XF86Config files or logs, let me know, i didn't see anything interesting there, but i'm still fairly wet behind the ears as far as linux is concerned... used RedHat for a year or two, started learning linux when i started with gentoo! love it so far, and would like to see it workin' on a faster box :D

thanks in advance,
jay
longtallugly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: config & log files Reply with quote

alright, i guess i'm replying to my own post but thought i would at least make these available...
XF86Config and log file

i set up the config file using one of the configure tools, i'm going to try xf86config now....

EDIT: :oops: looks like i cried wolf too soon, now i get some colors scrolling down the screen, probably a sync problem? if anybody else has a gateway FPD1500 working, let me know sync & refresh values that work please! :D (p.s. also updated log & config files...)
longtallugly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: arrgh... Reply with quote

ok, i don't know what's going on... i looked up sync & refresh values on the gateway website, tried a different flatpanel moniter, same results... i'm just getting this pattern scrolling down & across the screen... any ideas? i'm out of my own ideas, so any thoughts would be appreciated :)

jay
camouflageX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a Geforce 4 Ti, a flatpanel monitor and I use the DVI, too. If I use the XFree drivers "nv", I just get a black screen. But with the latest original NVidia drivers "nvidia" 4191 all is fine. I hope this helps you. :)

P.S. Yay, my first post! :D
longtallugly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: thanks a ton!! Reply with quote

well how 'bout that!! your first post answered my first post :D... i just assumed that the nvidia driver would complicate things more, and thought it would be better to go with the nv first, but.... once again i'm proven wrong. thanks again for the tip :mrgreen:
jay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: