View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voidzero
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
voidzero wrote:

So, to conclude:
blk_jack wrote:
Why hasn't it gotten to the point where things just work easier? I mean truly easier? What gives?

Answer: a true lack of self-awareness.

Are you saying that if blk_jack and anyone like him were self-aware that things would work truly easier in linux? I'm very unclear on your conclusion.

If they were self-aware, the perspective would change as to not call things 'difficult' when all one needs to do is research.
re_re
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
You guys got me wrong. I don't want to stop using Gentoo--I love Gentoo very much!

I'm just sick of the hassle that it seems a lot of Linux applications eventually bring. I think I'm mostly just concerned with how often things magically "break". I know Linux very well and I can always fix whatever problems arise, but the weight of it after all these years is starting to grow, I think.

Gentoo is an awesome distro and I have more or less used it execlusively for a few years now, i tried a few others but somehow always ended up back at gentoo's doorstep begging them to take me back.

Gentoo is a tweakers paradise but it is also bleeding edge. With any bleeding edge distro you will have problems to iron out and I know you understand this. Point is, sometimes we have to make compromises, remember that desktop linux is really a fairly new thing (as far as trying to appeal to the mainstream) , linux has it's roots in the server realm and is basically porting over to the desktop realm. OSX is a very sound and polished os, but I will be very honest, I don't like it, I played with it for a few weeks and while it is nice, polished, and easy to use....... something about it just didn't work for me. Here I am back with Gentoo again.

If you want Eye Candy and polish, and some support, Suse 10.* pro is a good choice if you want to stay with linux. Gentoo is a tweakers os, and if you want enterprise stability, go with a Redhat enterprise varient or maybe debian, otherwise...... for gods sakes, try OSX, it's a damn nice os, just dosen't fit my taste.

the linux world is finally catching up on the desktop imo, maybe another year till things look pretty and are functional

MSI K8N FSR, athlon64 2800+ @2016mhz, nv 6800xt

Compaq Deskpro Pentium3 500mhz

Macbook Pro 1.83ghz 1.5 gig pc5300
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that other year has been coming for a very long time but must have gotten lost along the way...

I think it's been "The Year of Linux" since 1993...

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
zetagz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is mentioned for power users (i think everybody who uses/installs gentoo is power user :))

I think that i know what blk_jack mentioned what he say....
blk_jack: I agreed with you. not just gentoo but whole world :)

My opinion:
I bet many of you guys, not only linux users, windows/osx users as well. Theres no solution , we are all addicted to linux and that what brings hassle within. Sometimes i hope that everything should go smooth and nicely and that i had a very good solution for my needs. I could do that and get best performance for my computer with linux and using only those programs what i really need/use but .... (yeah there always comes but). Do i want it? no.. theres always programs and updates what id like to test, still in development.
Sometimes if i have well working system, im fustrated for that because sometimes I really want to hassle with programs and tweak everything.
"I wish there should be a switcher in my computer between highly stable mode and Tweaking mode. Highly stable mode should have ONLY everything what i need and everything and have very stable system,thats it. In tweaking mode there should be puzzles and lots of upgrades to test for."

Linux is like a non-ending game. We all play with it and all want to solve puzzles, map makers (developers) are making new maps all the time and we have always lots of puzzles ahead. When we are fustrating with puzzle, or we cannot solve problem, or we dont want to waste time for it, we google and find walktroughs. We need challenges, but sometimes we feel: "When this game stops". That is sometimes fustrating because that game doesnt have an end. Lets assuming that game has an end (like windows (lack of money):)) you have solved all problems and reached end and what then (in windows many people starts piracy carrier when end has reached:))? For a while you are satified but in the end you are fustrated because you dont have any puzzles anymore ?!? then comes endless waiting for expansion packs etc.

And what that tells you? You are POWER user (as I) and you are happily addicted to linux :) We need more , we are hungry, we just aint getting enough. Sometimes we had enough, but how long? Sound familiar? I think that sounds familiar to heroin user also :).

You walk in street: is there good weather? is there just a little bit too cold, too warm, too windy, too wet or too dry? We are human beigns and theres no perfect solution with computers or weather :). We always want more. We always are seeking better. Greediness?.
As bck_jack said. windows isnt solution. I Agree. neither mac. i think gentoo is best solution this.
Tweaking is fun but sometimes we are tired to do it.
We have lots of where to choose (KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox , Enlightenment etc, etc..) When we are bored to KDE we switch gnome. Not a much time we read an article: NEW fluxbox and those new AWSOME features! we bore gnome and we switch to fluxbox and try those new features etc. etc. When we again choose new KDE and we are again cycling circle round and round and round..) Who wouldnt fustrate for that? We have too much to choose for, and luckily we have lots what to choose ? DAMN im getting dizzy!

Did i understand your point? if yes, i understand you VERY WELL and im feeling that way sometimes too :D

I really, I am considering that I would put 2 x gentoo with dualboot and making stable/tweak solution :D.
Stupid? mayby. But if that satisfied me so what...
How long? dunno :D.

ps. sorry my bad english...
Softfailur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of Gentoo Reply with quote

I feel much like blk_jack sometimes. And I'm quite happy that he started this discussion. I also have to say that I can't agree with people like voidzero or humbletech99 who say that "Things are just like they are and you should like it or go somewhere else".

I think that what makes many of us using Linux as a _desktop_ solution for everyday tasks is that on the one side it does exactly what we want it to do (although sometimes making it doing that costs so much time that some start to ask themselves is this really worth the time spent) and on the other side Linux gives remarkable freedom. The freedom in choosing the concrete desktop environment and the freedom in encouraging developers to improve the things the way _we_ (the users, not some sort of company standing behind system development like in OSX/Windows case) want them to be.

And here comes the problem that in my opinion blk_jack wants to discuss just from the beginning of the thread. Why if everything should be so good (as I said before Linux and the open software movement itself create opportunities for users to influence the directions of development to the extent impossible for proprietary counterparts) the time passes and some things remain like they were x years before? Like it would be _no_ real progress towards making Linux more user-friendly in the desktop area. And in my opinion to answer to these question we should look at the problem like two seperate things which blk_jack mentioned in his first post:
1) desktop environment feeling;
2) general Linux user impression.

Ad. 1

I have to agree that some things in desktop environments available for Linux aren't so great as they could be. But I think that in that area some real improvement is going to happen with new versions of KDE, Gnome and others (although I use KDE and wouldn't like to speak about others with which I'm not so familiar). There are several signs that allow us to think about it in this way - the whole freedesktop project trying to combine the efforts of several desktop related projects to provide the end-user with something more common, more consistent, more well-thought-out (this is what user-friendliness is all about, isn't it?).

Also the recently introduced technologies like GLX & AIGLX show that improvement is still possible and needed (the enormous users' interest in it surely confirms that). Although this GL related projects reveal us another important observation. Sometimes to really push things forward a better motivation than the usual 'satisfaction only' is needed (and I rather mean 'self-satisfaction' - how many percent of Linux users know the name of even one developer of the desktop they use?). It's characteristic that things really got finished when companies like RedHat and Novell entered the stage.

And now we can ask a question: "How can we, as _users_ and members of this community participate in the whole process of software development? I propose that if some of us have the need to share with others with their thoughts about some piece of software and the way it could be improved then lets subscribe to the appropriate mailing-list and post there your observations and ideas. This way you can send a signal to the developers that you don't like some things and try to convince them about your arguments. And some may not agree on that but in my opinion it's also a valuable _contribution_ to the end product that we will all use in the end. Because it will make using it much more comfortable and pleasant. Good ideas are as much important as good code or maybe even more. Don't let some say 'Like it, write your own or get loss!'. Good ideas are really valuable and needed. The discussion and ideas produce improvements too!

Telling all the people voicing some objections to the quality of software 'Go and write a better one!' doesn't really solve anything. And it definately won't if Linux becomes more and more mainstream and more and more average (you can call them 'mortals') users will start to hang around arguing about how some things are being done. And telling _them_ to start creating their own software will definately not take us anywhere.

Ad. 2

Today besides desktop related problems there is a huge amount of inconvenient solutions when it comes to general Linux-using stuff. Lets just name some of them to make things clear:
- all hwardware related configuration needed when using many multimedia-related programs (these making use of TV tuner cards i.e.);
- updating the system - Gentoo may not be the best example here because when you decide to use source-based distro you agree to make some things in a more complicated manner than in i.e. Fedora-like distros. But even when you look at systems like Fedora there are some glitches when it comes to update procedures and not always everything goes smoothly (i.e. without making changes to some config files).

To get rid of this type of problems there is only one answer in my opinion: further work. Linux makes some improvement. Month after month, year after year it is getting closer and closer to better, less user-involving solutions, but there is still a gap. We will get to the point when you don't have to change any config file because there are some really good and automagically working subsystems but it will just take us some more time.

And to end this long post: 'Don't discourage people from criticism because it's a sign of care and it triggers off development or at least change its direction'.

P.S. And don't tell me that saying that something just isn't perfect (when it really isn't) is a kind of disloyalty with developers. I'm sure that they know the weak sides of their products and are determined to improve it (if they weren't why would they start it at all knowing that achieving the final stage will take time?). But sometimes it's just good to tell them that users (which should be most important for developers in the end) want something to be done in other so that it could be implemented at least as an option.

P.S. 2 Yes I am grateful to developers for all the hard work too.

Last edited by Softfailur on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the novelist above is keeping up with current affairs but there is a distro called Ubuntu (is that hissing I hear from the stage?...). Go use it and we'll see how much you learn about GNU/Linux...

Softfailur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:
I'm not sure if the novelist above is keeping up with current affairs but there is a distro called Ubuntu (is that hissing I hear from the stage?...). Go use it and we'll see how much you learn about GNU/Linux...

I assume that you state that using it is really straightforward and you don't have any troubles?
I dare to disagree. I've got here in front of me iBook G3 (codename marble, the white one). Now it's running Gentoo, but I also tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 on it as something that could be installed much quicker (you don't have to compile anything...). It was recommended to me by my friend. He really wanted to know what do I think about it so I thought that I should give it a try. Unfortunately installing it on this machine really wasn't straightforward and there where problems with proper hardware recognition which usually force users to look into config files.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't say you were using a Mac arch. In that case, er...maybe you want to use the Mac OS since it actually works on it...

I know people using Ubuntu and it has been quick and painless for them.

Softfailur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:
you didn't say you were using a Mac arch. In that case, er...maybe you want to use the Mac OS since it actually works on it...

No, I don't want it, really. As I said in my first post I prefer Linux because of the choice it gives me. But I also want it to evolve in the way I like it. That's why I think that such discussions are needed. Supporting developers with users' opinions is important.
soongjason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacOS -- made for people who just want to get the job done fast and simple without understanding it.
ex. I bought a bluetooth headset and adapter I got everything
work within 2 mins such as listen music via bluetooth headset.

Windows -- made for some people who want to explore the "inner computer world", and getting thing done
but don't want to get their hand dirty. (Visual Studio)
ex. I bought a bluetooth headset and adapter I took me 4 hrs to get everything work,
such as listen music via bluetooth headset.

Linux (Gentoo) -- made for geek who think they can create a better world. They make their hand really dirty and nothing much is done after long hours all they gain is "Linux Knowledge" and also "fun".
ex. I bought a bluetooth handset and adapter, it took me almost
2 hours for my box to talk with the adapter,
1 hour for my adapter to "recognize" to my headset,
6 hours for my bluetooth adapter to talk to my headset,
"many many" hours to listen music via bluetooth headset.

Do not reinvent wheel. Unless you are scientist or geektoo.

* many many == currently working on it or already gave up
When you install a regular distribution (including GENTOO), you often end up installing a lot of programs that you would probably never use. They're just sitting there taking up (precious) disk space.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've felt the same before and i have left. I always come back to Gentoo though
pony-tail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure if the novelist above is keeping up with current affairs but there is a distro called Ubuntu

Is that not just Debian for dummies ? :wink:
Seriously I use linux all the time, I have It installed on multiple machines,including a G4 powermac(dual boot with 10.26-Jaguar)
I like linux , to use ,but hate configuring it(something a little more intuitive would be good) Mac OSX is good but it's inflexability
becomes a little tiresome at times.
Ubunto is an excellent distro to start someone out with linux but it has its limitations too. I guess what I am trying to say is that
there is no one size fits all soloution - This applies to software , operating systems , and hardware. Would you honestly recomend
Gentoo as a first linux distro to a 'doze user - I would not , but I would recomend Mepis or Ubuntu , neither of which I would
recomend for a "power user'. I personally like Dektop BSD but it is a pity that my hardware does not .I keep one Debian (stable)
box permanently running and one Gentoo box (with bells and whistles ) permanently running and have a couple of other boxes
I play with different distros and other strange OS's that appear from time to time.
Admittedly Debian is my primary os . but Gentoo is more rewarding over all when I have the time.
Sick of linux NO - Sick of config files YES
Just my couple of pennies worth.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pony-tail wrote:

my point exactly...

omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:
pony-tail wrote:

my point exactly...
More like a simplified Debian. Just because you might want an easy-to-use GUI doesn't mean you are a dummy.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, people are complaining that they want easy to use and not bother with configuration etc... then they should not use gentoo, they should use a simpler distro better suited to noobs like Ubuntu or Fedora Core or Suse. They have more graphical tools, easy installations and they just slap a working system on a box in no time. Half an hour from now, you can have the system you want. Personally, I'm sticking with Gentoo...

blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re_re wrote:
the linux world is finally catching up on the desktop imo, maybe another year till things look pretty and are functional

That's what I think every year, and every year I get the same ol' headaches. The question you gotta ask yourself is do you really think any of the current window managers are going to be *that* much better in a year? Look at KDE and Gnome and think... has it really progressed to the point where it's truly intuitive, natural and easy to use? Do they include the majority of features that other OS' window managers have?

I've run into problems in the past few years where something like ALSA will just stop playing audio and I'll have to do a search on the forums for how to fix it. That kind of stuff shouldn't happen. Configuration for that kind of thing shouldn't completely change on a software update to the point where it just stops working.

humbletech99 wrote:
that other year has been coming for a very long time but must have gotten lost along the way...

I think it's been "The Year of Linux" since 1993...

Exactly. :(

My beef isn't exactly with bleeding edge applications that go wrong. I know if I'm running some CVS build of an application that I may very well run into some kind of horrible crippling problem. My problem is with with core applications. My window manager, the audio, the video, that kind of thing. Those types of programs shouldn't be randomly failing to the point where I lose audio, or video. I don't mind tweaking a bleeding edge version of Evolution, or a bleeding edge version of E 17 and find problems. I realize that those applications are in heavy development. But when I upgrade to the latest [stable] version of gStreamer and shit hits the fan.. I get annoyed.

humbletech99 wrote:
Well, people are complaining that they want easy to use and not bother with configuration etc... then they should not use gentoo, they should use a simpler distro better suited to noobs like Ubuntu or Fedora Core or Suse. They have more graphical tools, easy installations and they just slap a working system on a box in no time. Half an hour from now, you can have the system you want. Personally, I'm sticking with Gentoo...

Application configuration will not differ between different distributions. The only difference might be the stability of some of the packages because the distributions opt for older and more "stable" versions.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an example of configuration, what you are talking about is software quality and consistency. Unfortunately, sometimes you get what you pay for, when you pay you demand a certain level of product, when it's free, sometimes it's very good and sometimes not, but you take your chances.

Your gripe is a very general linux complaint and I fully understand. I've had my own share of annoyances in running it like a desktop. Linux has been projected at being 5-10 years away from being of the consistency and quality of the commercials distributions to the point where you can really rely on it as a desktop OS.

I think that Gentoo is one of the easier and nicer distros for upgrading. It's definitely one of the best I've ever used. Shame about all the compiling though, people have a point when they say we're adding to the destruction of the environment with all this extra energy drainage...

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many lightbulbs (ranging from 40-120W) are left on when they're not needed?.. pretty damn often. The difference between a cpu idle and in full whack is between 15-30W, the average package takes 30 minutes to compile.. I hardly see that is blowing up the enviroment, and that's coming from someone who see's the need to urgently replace fossil fuels as an energy source.
re_re
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
re_re wrote:

That's what I think every year, and every year I get the same ol' headaches. The question you gotta ask yourself is do you really think any of the current window managers are going to be *that* much better in a year? Look at KDE and Gnome and think... has it really progressed to the point where it's truly intuitive, natural and easy to use? Do they include the majority of features that other OS' window managers have?

I've run into problems in the past few years where something like ALSA will just stop playing audio and I'll have to do a search on the forums for how to fix it. That kind of stuff shouldn't happen. Configuration for that kind of thing shouldn't completely change on a software update to the point where it just stops working.

well, i have never in the past bought into the year of the linux desktop crap, but i truly do believe that the linux desktop in the last year has progressed nicely and in the upcoming year with kde4 (nothing against gnome, just not my cup of tea) coming, i believe in another year or 2 things are really looking up.

i personally believe that kde is very intuitive and easy to use as it is now but could brush up in a few areas, not sure on gnome so much as i don't use it.

and yes, kde as it stands now does have most of the features that other window managers/os's have including windows and osx, in fact, there a a lot of things that can be done with kde very easily that is very difficult or impossible to do in windows or osx.

bottom line, i throw one of my friends on my computer and say... the big k is the start menu and the rest they figure out no problem.

On a side note, i very very rarely have any type of problems with alsa or things that magically stop working.

MSI K8N FSR, athlon64 2800+ @2016mhz, nv 6800xt

Compaq Deskpro Pentium3 500mhz

Macbook Pro 1.83ghz 1.5 gig pc5300
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
...and that's coming from someone who see's the need to urgently replace fossil fuels as an energy source.

Indeed, but who do we have to kill to get a clean energy replacement?

Kde is simple and more intuitive. Shame Kde have followed microsoft in having to bundle all their own crap with it... Kde light would be nice indeed, which is why Gentoo and a few other distro allow you to get leaner kde-core type installs which I think are the way to go...

It does shock and disturb me though how most Linux distros still use Gnome as their default desktop. What is wrong with these guys? Kde is hammering Gnome in popularity, so distro developers should take note and adjust their distros accordingly...

pony-tail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am currently "playing" with E 17 , KDE is what I have mostly used over the years.
Like the other poster said you can put a 'doze user on (in this case my 9.5 year old grandaughter)
Point them at the "K" and let them go and they can find what they need. After 3 installs and 6months
She can now install Debian with just a hand written cheat sheet telling her what to put in the blanks -
Gentoo is maybe a little way off. But had KDE not been as intuitive she would just have walked away.
Although I think tuxracer and tuxcart may have played a role.
Softfailur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humbletech99 wrote:

It does shock and disturb me though how most Linux distros still use Gnome as their default desktop. What is wrong with these guys? Kde is hammering Gnome in popularity, so distro developers should take note and adjust their distros accordingly...

KDE isn't built around GTK which is free to use for commercial purposes unlike Qt?
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, well done little smarty-pants! :lol:

You do realise however though, that it's people like you who will put all IT people out of jobs. When's she's 20 and willing to work for £15K a year, we're all gonna be in trouble... :cry:

Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softfailur wrote:
humbletech99 wrote:

KDE isn't built around GTK which is free to use for commercial purposes unlike Qt?

And how many distros are using apps that would require the commercial license from Trolltech anyways... very, very few.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't somebody reimplement the GPL version of the QT widget set then...?

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: