View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All an OS is a tool. Is it the tool for all situations, no. :)

Does a hammer suck because you need a screw driver? :wink:
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

Yeah, but there are some tools that suck. Like a pair of Bronze shears from 1600.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Hvatum wrote:
Headrush wrote:

Yeah, but there are some tools that suck. Like a pair of Bronze shears from 1600.

You proved my point. I'm sure in 1600 they were a choice tool.

Obviously there is a difference between comparing OSes and ancient tools in todays world.

People expecting Gentoo to be like SuSe are going to be disappointed and vice versa.
The question is whether that OS allows you to accomplish the tasks you need in an acceptable manner for you.

The problem today is information and data are based around applications instead of being based on the data. Years ago Apple tried something like this called OpenDoc. You started with a document and then used various plugin tools to manipulate the doc. It didn't matter what spell checker you used, or graphics editor you used. (The document was essentially not to be tied to any app.) For proper interoperability between OSes we need more ideas like this and more standard based formats, but obviously MS and Apple like having control by not doing this.

Frankly, no OS fits for all people and/or all situations, but the goal should be an infrastructure were this shouldn't matter. (Use whatever you want.)
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEK!

I've just installed my first gentoo distro (well...I'm in the middle of it, anyway) and so far I love it. I've found the gentoo handbook exceedingly useful and have had few problems thus far.

It's sad to see these types of messages, especially since my current goal is to have a microsoft-free house (except for my modded xbox).

Once I get gentoo running well on my currently dual-booting machine and find apps which can accomplish all the tasks I currently use windows apps for, I'll be kissing windows xp goodbye, hopefully for good.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsgleason wrote:
EEK!

I've just installed my first gentoo distro (well...I'm in the middle of it, anyway) and so far I love it. I've found the gentoo handbook exceedingly useful and have had few problems thus far.

It's sad to see these types of messages, especially since my current goal is to have a microsoft-free house (except for my modded xbox).

Once I get gentoo running well on my currently dual-booting machine and find apps which can accomplish all the tasks I currently use windows apps for, I'll be kissing windows xp goodbye, hopefully for good.
Seeing as you have an xbox, have you thought about putting Gentoo on it? Have a look at these links:

http://gentoox.shallax.com/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
gsgleason wrote:
EEK!

Seeing as you have an xbox, have you thought about putting Gentoo on it? Have a look at these links:

http://gentoox.shallax.com/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox

No I haven't. I know it's out there, but I really don't know the benefits. I use XBMC more than any xbox game nowadays anyway.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Kai Hvatum wrote:
Headrush wrote:

You proved my point. I'm sure in 1600 they were a choice tool.

Obviously there is a difference between comparing OSes and ancient tools in todays world.

Fair enough. Even among modern tools there are some that suck though, such as a very poorly made drill from North Korea that came free with a set of drillbits and breaks after a few minutes. Any given type of tool does not suck, but there are poor manufacturers of tools and tools of poor quality. The same goes for OSs, not goint to say which ones :wink:
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Hvatum wrote:
Fair enough. Even among modern tools there are some that suck though, such as a very poorly made drill from North Korea that came free with a set of drillbits and breaks after a few minutes. Any given type of tool does not suck, but there are poor manufacturers of tools and tools of poor quality. The same goes for OSs, not goint to say which ones :wink:

Even this North Korean tools might be excellent choices for someone who needs to drill just one or two holes, and has a very reduced budget (believe me, where I come from there's lots of people who can't afford quality tools). Or think about a student who needs to make one whole to hang a picture frame and doesn't want to pay the extra price?

Companies make products. Same as companies or communities make distros. This is kind of darwinism: if a product truly universally sucks, it will ultimately die. The reason why they don't, is because it fits to some people's needs. You might argue that Gentoo will ultimately die. But this has been said years ago by some people. Neverheless, Gentoo is still very strong.

If you think about it, you'd realize that even Windows is also an excellent choice for some people. So is MacOSX.

A professor I've had at the university told me once, that for every "unique" solution, there are at least three solutions that should also work: the "unique solution", one that is exactly the opposite, and one that it is something in-between. That thing made sense after a few years...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: