Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adelante wrote:
i love gentoo and i want it to have my kids :lol:

Kids are baby goats. You mean you want larry to have your calves...

/me ducks and runs away.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
tylerwylie wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Zepp wrote:
Why do these topics always get so many replies :P
postcount++
Soon enough I'll have an epee.. I mean post count as high as Cokehabits.
my epenis is so big, even the Queen wants a suck...

This is one of the few times in my life that I wish I *didn't* have an imagination... :lol:
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate these threads.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega21 wrote:
I hate these threads.

If there is one thing in this world that I can't tolerate, it's intolerance... ;)
pjo123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read most of this thread and up till now have resisted the need for comment, but hey what the heck, why not :)

Personally I love Gentoo, but if I'm 100% honest I love it because I like playing around with computers and I personally (probably a lot by choice) spend far far more time actiually playing around and tweaking/updating Gentoo than I do actually using it for anything that constructive.

On my sons PC I installed Mandriva. It's a much lower spec PC, has loads of crap he'll never use installed, might take a few more seconds to boot, but if I run the average program on his PC, then on mine, I can notice hardly any (if any at all) difference whatsoever.

I also do not hate Microsoft. I read comments aboout windoz etc and how unstable it is etc, but to a point I disagree. I had XP installed on my PC for a year, a decent firewall spy checker etc, didn't visit dodgy sites, and everything ran smoothly. Never crashed, all hardware worked etc. My sons PC is a different matter, slows down after about 3 months with all the junk sites etc he visits. Still no real problem, takes 10 mins to back up his game save files and documents, one quick reformat later and within 60 mins, his entire system is working at full speed again. In fact it's quicker to do this than it is to install Mandriva on his PC and get all his things working properly.

Then I come back to my gentoo system. I want to use my sound card, how long does it take me to work out what slider on Alsamixer does what? Far longer than it takes to install XP from scratch.

I'm not knocking Gentoo when I say things like this, I just get sick of people getting offended when anyone says a thing against it or how people are thought of as the devil if they say anything good about MS.

Linux has come on in leaps and bounds over the past few years and I for one doubt I'll ever stop dual booting. But it still has a long way to go before I would consider getting rid of XP. This of course isn't the fault of Linux but the fault of hardware vendors and software companies. I've just put up for sale my Soundblaster X-FI card and brought an Audigy4 because of the lack of support for Linux drivers from Creative. There's games that I just want to turn on my PC and play in surround sound, with few exceptions I need XP to do this properly.

Personally I find Gentoo my favourite system for adding software to and have no intention of going away from it anytime in the forseeable future, that said, I read threads aboout people leaving gentoo and why they think it's dying etc and these people often have really valid points but are just slated by people saying "My systems been running 3 years and I have no problems" implying that just because they've had no problems, no one else should, or others don't have the right to voice their concerns. Ignoring such concerns and slating people for voicing their concerns is the one thing most likely to lead to any products ultimate downfall (I'm not saying all concerns are valid, just that we should discuss them civily)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjo123 wrote:
Personally I find Gentoo my favourite system for adding software to and have no intention of going away from it anytime in the forseeable future, that said, I read threads aboout people leaving gentoo and why they think it's dying etc and these people often have really valid points but are just slated by people saying "My systems been running 3 years and I have no problems" implying that just because they've had no problems, no one else should, or others don't have the right to voice their concerns. Ignoring such concerns and slating people for voicing their concerns is the one thing most likely to lead to any products ultimate downfall (I'm not saying all concerns are valid, just that we should discuss them civily)

Amen to that.

Besides, how's it ever going to improve if we don't know what we want to improve?
ChoppedInHalf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Gentoo @ Work, OS X @ Home Reply with quote

Sorry, just discovered this thread. Is the keep-threads-short etiquette still in effect? If so, then sorry.

Been using Gentoo at home for maybe 2 years?

Been using Gentoo at work (authorized platform at work, too!) for, I dunno, 18 months? Hell, I'm not even sure how to find out! In AIX the command would be:
Code:

# lslpp -h bos.rte

I bought a PowerBook for my wife about 6 months ago to stop all the Windoze tech support requests. It worked. They all stopped.

I bought a Mac Mini (Mini Mac?) for the kids to replace a "gift" someone gave us that is a laptop running (pirated) XP when the damned thing was designed for WIn95. I think it took 10 minutes to open a browser window. IE or Firefox--it didn't matter (which is WIERD!). The kids now *actually* have a computer. No support requests, either. OK, not totally true, my son (10-years old) wanted me to help him configure the Speech Recognition stuff. He likes the "Tell me a joke" speech command. /me sighs.

My company finally graced me with a hand-me-down Thinkpad. I was so excited. I had used my wife's laptop recently, and the sheer luxury of being able to lie in bed and be productive hooked me irrevocably. I was installing Gentoo on it when it froze. I've installed Gentoo on laptops before. I figured the installation kernel freaked because of some hibernate/suspend type deal in the CMOS. The damned thing froze in the CMOS menus, too! Bad hardware. I was so frickin' dissappointed, that I flipped out and bought the cheapest possible (but new, retail) MacBook I could find immediately.

I've been having a blast with Mac OS X. I just plopped DarwinPorts (now MacPorts) on my box. I'll still use Gentoo at work and at home as a hobbyist in comp sci, but my main home work horse is now a MacBook.

So there's my saga. I <3 Gentoo && I <3 OSX.

Last edited by ChoppedInHalf on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fruitwoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be "sick" of gentoo cuz Gentoo is all about choices :lol:
mr.isomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sick of this thread.... every time i search for something i get this. god
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hohlecow wrote:
get a Mac.

All the benefits of Unix and top quality software and hardware design.
Except for developers, who get none of the benefits of UNIX and all the headaches of a wholly-proprietary build system.
bluedevils
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who know how to drive. He wants the convenience of automatic with the control of a manual shift.

manual (stick shift) - gentoo
dsg, smg (sequential shifting, manual shift with psuedo automatic) - kubuntu,ubuntu
manumatic (automatic with psuedo manual shifts) - osx
automatic - windows
smoooth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: After four years... Reply with quote

I switched to gentoo about four years ago and everything was great. I'm not feeling that way anymore.

Seems like years ago things worked. Maybe it was because there was no AMD64 and there were more people concentrating on making x86 work. Who knows. In the past year and a half I've gotten more scared everytime I tried to
update world or any package. Things would break... but I would search through the forums and fix them. Now
things break and the everything seems VERY unstable. So unstable I had to quit using it. I tried to nail the problem
down but just too much time and effort for what it's worth.

I decided to try slackware. I was amazed at how quick I could get a full operational system that was very quick
and stable. I notice no speed difference between the two. I am not here proclaming the greatness of any one distro
because I already seem shortcomings in slack...but one thing that needs to addressed in Gentoo is quality and stability.

I think it is great there are people working on the cutting edge providing the features up to the day before. I think
there should be a stable set of releases that are tested and are in solid working order. That is my ONLY complaint.

I wish I could use gentoo because I really like the concept. The concept is genius but it isn't at practical usable level anymore.

I will try gentoo again in a year or so and see where it is... one thing I can say is that gentoo has helped me learn
linux. I can fly through other distros with the "troubleshooting" experience I got from gentoo and the forums.

Just a thought.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: After four years... Reply with quote

smoooth wrote:
I switched to gentoo about four years ago and everything was great. I'm not feeling that way anymore.

Seems like years ago things worked. Maybe it was because there was no AMD64 and there were more people concentrating on making x86 work. Who knows. In the past year and a half I've gotten more scared everytime I tried to
update world or any package. Things would break... but I would search through the forums and fix them. Now
things break and the everything seems VERY unstable. So unstable I had to quit using it. I tried to nail the problem
down but just too much time and effort for what it's worth.

I decided to try slackware. I was amazed at how quick I could get a full operational system that was very quick
and stable. I notice no speed difference between the two. I am not here proclaming the greatness of any one distro
because I already seem shortcomings in slack...but one thing that needs to addressed in Gentoo is quality and stability.

I think it is great there are people working on the cutting edge providing the features up to the day before. I think
there should be a stable set of releases that are tested and are in solid working order. That is my ONLY complaint.

I wish I could use gentoo because I really like the concept. The concept is genius but it isn't at practical usable level anymore.

I will try gentoo again in a year or so and see where it is... one thing I can say is that gentoo has helped me learn
linux. I can fly through other distros with the "troubleshooting" experience I got from gentoo and the forums.

Just a thought.

So, did you create a new account to post this or have you just never bothered to post to the forums in the last four years?
meranto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruitwoot wrote:
You can be "sick" of gentoo cuz Gentoo is all about choices :lol:

This is actually what most problems come down to. If you know exactly what you want and you absolutely hate to be controlled but love to be in control, Gentoo will be your partner for life, but..... for all those people who can't make up their fr*kk*ng mind (which is actually a very high percentage of all people) Gentoo, and linux in general to a lesser extent, will cause you to go from divorce to divorce over and over again.
smoooth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I forgot my username and password so I just created a new account. Actually I never posed anything
anyway. I always read other posts and sometimes posted to other linux forums.

No I just felt it was necessary to express my thoughts because when I read others views about it I found
that I felt the same way.. and it was somewhat of a relief.
smoooth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedevils wrote:
For those who know how to drive. He wants the convenience of automatic with the control of a manual shift.

dsg, smg (sequential shifting, manual shift with psuedo automatic) - kubuntu,ubuntu
automatic - windows

Yeah -- manual... that's what I made... three volumes.. 1 - installation; 2 - X, 3 - Portage
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoooth wrote:
bluedevils wrote:

automatic - windows

Yeah -- manual... that's what I made... three volumes.. 1 - installation; 2 - X, 3 - Portage

Naaah, I disagree. About OSX.
Windows XP does run like a good automatic transmission, and with some in-depth work can be converted into a rather likeable sports manumatic. One does have to learn its unique and sometimes silly technology, though.

OSX, on the other hand, is in my view a bad product (a product that in itself does more bad than good).
For one, it's a rather messed-up system. Half the system is inaccessible from it's native file manager (the whole UNIX tree is hidden). Trying to find a function that the creators didn't deem important enough to put up on the GUI is a trip to hell. The default terminal (an ancient bash) is badly configured and unfriendly. Trying to use it as the UNIX it is advertised to be is comparable to pleasing oneself with a cheese grater.
But what's even more of a problem is that simple, everyday tasks that are a click away on a Windows or a decently configured Linux system appear, well, totally unsolvable. Like printing an image file in a set size. Or editing a html file in text mode (notepad under Windows, or any editor in Linux, this functionality is totally inavailable with the factory apps of macosX). Or writing a cue/bin cd image to disc - on Windows and Linux, one can use the free cdrdao, but to do this on OSX, one needs to pay several hundred dollars for a professional Apple CD burning suite.
So I'd say OSX is a car that seems pretty okay when you start off, but you find out mid-road that there are no brakes, the lights aren't included in the factory issue, and you would need to buy them separately to drive at night, and to top it off, the switch to the screen wiper is behind the backseats in a black box labeled "unnecessary garbage", locked down with five bolts and a padlock.
MM23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Windows has ever had going for it is luck. Back in the day, Windows was lucky enough to get it's spot in the limelight -- and has retained it. All the bigwig software and hardware companies support Windows -- not Linux. Why develop drivers for a free operating system when you can develop for one that people are paying for? That seems to be the logic behind it.

If you could somehow give the Linux community support from the huge plethora of software companies that develop for Windows there wouldn't be any more annoying hardware workarounds or missed software.

That's seriously the biggest thing holding Linux back, and it kind of sucks, because I don't see it ever changing. Most software developers are too incompetent to develop for Unix anyway.

"OMG, it uses forward slashes instead of back slashes??!??!"

I think more companies should do what Nvidia does. Seriously, Nvidia's Linux driver team is fucking great.
Genjix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
First of all, I'm not sick of "everything". Hardly.
... <Pathetic whining>

As I said before--all I want are people's opinions that relate to the particular gripes I have with desktop computing. Not suggestions about how I can "go fuck myself".

I am doing artwork fulltime and I manage to use gentoo for my multimedia needs (maya, krita, blender, kooka). I'm sure its sufficient for your needs too.

Buy a Mac++
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.isomer wrote:
i am sick of this thread.... every time i search for something i get this. god

I'm sick of people who complain about this thread! :lol:
Azaroth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choisyjc wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if people praising OSX eye-candy actually ever used a Mac more than 3 minutes straight. I guess not. They'd have realized it's not *that* sexy. Also, once you start actually using your desktop, the fact that the Finder sucks even more than xffm (!!!!) is somehow a shocking shock.

So, really, I think we have to agree on this : Modern desktop computing is not ready for you. Come back in a few years. Gifted people are working on it.

PS: This is in no way cynical (or however it's spelt).

Anyone who praises OSX has never had to support it. I work for a publishing company that's 40% mac 60% PC

our help center call volume is 75% mac to 25% PC.

Macs can hardly be said to be in the "just works" category.
V-Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# beat -target dead_horse

After reading most of this thread, there were a few points that stood out:

1. A lot of people are waiting for that point where OSS applications, whether they're full-blown DE's or just some MP3 player, will just "work". I, personally, don't think this will ever happen. And it's not because the people doing the development are incompetent (I've written my share of OSS), it's that the manpower isn't there to meet the technological rush. Let's take X for instance. It's tried and true, even if it has it's share of quirks. The reason it's never been able to reach that zenith where it has zarro bugs is the need for more bells and whistles. Just when they've got it to the point where it always "just works", the community at large needs composite support. Now, this limited set of developers, who don't have quite the backing of Microsoft or Apple, have to shift gears and add LOTS of new functionality to a product, which always introduces new bugs. Now there are 2 groups that are unhappy: the everyday user is upset because his once stable desktop now has all these weird quirks, and the bleeding edge user is angry because the composite support in X is really buggy. Insert a different application and a different technology shift, and you've explained the quirks in just about every application known to Linux. It's not the dev's fault, or the community's fault. It's the constant need by BOTH to improve. The 2 main reasons you don't see this with other OS's is because:
  • In the years between "stability", the OS never changes. They release the "stable" version, then 4-5 years later, they release the next "stable" version, with all the new bells and whistles already working (mostly).
  • They have fleets of developers, all working within basically the same environment and the same set of rules, all well supported (financially and otherwise). Linux will never have either of these, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2. If you were to take an OS such as linux, make everyone play within the same ruleset and jump through hoops to allow for some unified management system (ala an MMC type configuration dialog), guess what? You'd get Windows. Most of the Linux apps I've ever used are so awesome because they weren't saddled with some sort of pre-determined set of boundaries. The developer was free to think on his own, with only the rules of the kernel and standard library to hold him back. While I'm not saying some standard interfaces wouldn't be a good thing (see freedesktop), making everything look and act the same for the sake of ease of configuration is EXACTLY what most people who move away from M$ and OSX are trying to break out of...uniformity. To use someone else's analogy, saying linux should move away from CLI based configuration/operation and implement an MMC strategy similar to Windows is like driving a manual transmission and saying "We should put an automatic in here." We already have an automatic. It's called WindowsXP/OSX. If that's what you want, you're in luck. But I for one, and I think a lot of long-time linux users would agree with me, don't want an automatic. Making it "just work" comes at a price. To argue this shows a lack of understanding. TANSTAAFL. Everything comes at a price. The ease of mainstream OS's comes at the cost of power. I for one am not willing to pay that price.

For whatever it's worth, I started using Linux with RedHat 5.2. I've migrated up (or down, however you want to look at it) the food chain looking for "My Anti-Windows"©. Not that Windows is bad, per sey. In fact I just finished building myself a new Windows box for gaming. As a developer/power user, though, I always found myself needing something more than Windows could provide. I continue to need more, and the OSS developers of the world are constantly struggling to keep up with our collective needs.

Threads like this say something about the Linux OS as a whole, and Gentoo in particular. Linux is awesome. So awesome that people feel passionately about it. I've found that people who are indifferent on a subject rarely make a peep. I think most of the time when you hear "I'm sick of (x)", what people are really trying to say is "I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love (x). So much I'm frustrated it's not just a little better."

www.zoto.com
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Gentoo to reach a conclusion about bugs in OSS is unfair. Gentoo is great, but it is not designed to be a static rock solid distribution.

On the other hand, having used Suse and others for awhile I must say there has been consistent improvement. Every time I install Suse or something of the like for a friend I notice significant improvement in the latest permutation. The change is not drastic or overnight, but the Linux desktop (KDE, X etc.) without doubt now has a solid underpinning that you can depend on 24/7. The bleeding edge features of your hardware might not work clean install of Suse, but you'll have a solid computer and that's enough for a lot of people.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azaroth wrote:
Anyone who praises OSX has never had to support it. I work for a publishing company that's 40% mac 60% PC

our help center call volume is 75% mac to 25% PC.

Macs can hardly be said to be in the "just works" category.

Hmm, the situation for the printing company I work for is completely different.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, but can you be a bit more specific than quoting help center numbers.
Since people are so "engrained" in Windows, OS X can obviously be an adjustment for many people. The same could be said for any new OS whether it be Solaris, Linux, etc.

The problem in threads praising/complaining about any OS is with all the generalities, the threads show more about the problems with users, more than stating facts about the OS.
Even in this thread there are several comments talking about missing tools/feature in specific OSes, yet they are completely wrong. I believe it is perfectly valid for someone to have the opinion that some feature isn't implemented they way they want or isn't accessible the way they want, but this is personal preference and I find it childish when people say an OS sucks.

Bottom line is it doesn't fit for your situation.
Every OS has it pros and cons and these can also change depending on a specific role. (a pro to one, is a con to another)
Gentoo's flexibility is its biggest strength to many of us, yet some may consider this its biggest problem. Are they wrong, NO.

I like Gentoo, but I'm not naive enough to not realize that there are things that can be learned from Windows and OS X.
For example, OS X uses CUPS just like Linux but its interface is much cleaner and simpler for most end users.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

The problem in threads praising/complaining about any OS is with all the generalities, the threads show more about the problems with users, more than stating facts about the OS.

:nod:

Headrush wrote:
Even in this thread there are several comments talking about missing tools/feature in specific OSes, yet they are completely wrong. I believe it is perfectly valid for someone to have the opinion that some feature isn't implemented they way they want or isn't accessible the way they want, but this is personal preference and I find it childish when people say an OS sucks.

Bottom line is it doesn't fit for your situation.
Every OS has it pros and cons and these can also change depending on a specific role. (a pro to one, is a con to another)
Gentoo's flexibility is its biggest strength to many of us, yet some may consider this its biggest problem. Are they wrong, NO.

In the context of our discussion I would agree. But some OSs do really just suck, Xenix, Win 3.1. But any OS in common use must have some redeeming quality, because mankind doesn't use things that just outright suck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: