3%  [ 14 ]
I don't have an opinion but I like to vote
3%
 3%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 388

ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: The default virtual/editor should be... Reply with quote

Not that this will get anything changed, but the results might be interesting... Note that this is not asking what your favourite editor is.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vim. I can't actually use anything else, and despite what most people say, it's insanely easy to use.
killomatic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops... just instinctively voted vim without considering what "default editor" meant.

Should be nano. Despite the fact that it's almost useless for productive editing, it can be picked up and used without experience.

Vim, while awesome in every respect, cannot be used at all without prior knowledge. It's only easy to those of us who have used it forever, and when that happens, it becomes hard to use anything else, and lifting your hands off the keyboard to reach for the mouse becomes an immensely annoying trial when you're forced to use anything "not vim."

Emacs is slightly useable without knowing anything about it, but it's too bloated, and some of people don't even bother installing it.

Last edited by killomatic on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: OpenOffice.

vim. Happens to be my editor of choice, but voted because I can't stand nano, and have never figured out emacs. Not familiar with nvi.
meax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What killomatic said(w/o the accidently voting for vim part).
Plus, vim is on the Install- and LiveCDs and a 'emerge vim' isn't really that far away.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meax wrote:
Plus, vim is on the Install- and LiveCDs and a 'emerge vim' isn't really that far away.

Indeed. Which raises a question: Why is vim not in stage 1, 2, or 3 tarballs, yet is on the CD? I hate having to copy it every time I install so I have an editor I can use.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
Indeed. Which raises a question: Why is vim not in stage 1, 2, or 3 tarballs, yet is on the CD? I hate having to copy it every time I install so I have an editor I can use.

A stage 3's contents are determined by something known helpfully as 'packages'. In 'packages', 'virtual/editor' is listed. So unless you're using selinux/alpha or selinux/mips as your profile, you'll get nano.
meax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
[...] Why is vim not in stage 1, 2, or 3 tarballs, yet is on the CD? I hate having to copy it every time I install so I have an editor I can use.

Bug 128129.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Monkeh wrote:

A stage 3's contents are determined by something known helpfully as 'packages'. In 'packages', 'virtual/editor' is listed. So unless you're using selinux/alpha or selinux/mips as your profile, you'll get nano.

I know about packages.. I'm just surprised it's on the CD and not in the stage files. It's a little annoying to chroot, go to edit a file, and find out 'vi' doesn't exist.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
I know about packages.. I'm just surprised it's on the CD and not in the stage files. It's a little annoying to chroot, go to edit a file, and find out 'vi' doesn't exist.

The only way for it to be in a stage3 is if it's listed in packages, either directly or as a dependency (for example, of virtual/editor). And if it's listed in packages, it'll be pulled in by emerge system and emerge world...
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then perhaps vim, or at least a minimal version of plain old vi, should be part of the system profile. Because nano just doesn't work for all of us (I can't use it at all).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate nano with a passion, but I can certainly suffer through it until I get vim emerged. As much as I'd love to see it available, it doesn't break anything without it.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I hate nano with a passion, but I can certainly suffer through it until I get vim emerged. As much as I'd love to see it available, it doesn't break anything without it.

:roll: Not everyone in the Gentoo world are linux l33tists who have time to read pages of docs just to edit some simple files.

Nano should be the DEFAULT, quite simply because it is the best option for the majority of people. The support requests will double if vim became the default, and the frusteration will be exponential. Not that it isn't a great text editor, but it should by no means be the default editor.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raftysworld wrote:
Nano should be the DEFAULT, quite simply because it is the best option for the majority of people.

Not really. Nano is not the best option for anyone. It could be argued that it is a barely adequate option for the lowest common demoninator, although I despair to think of anyone using Gentoo who cannot manage the POSIX standard editor.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vim is insanely easy to use. If you can't work out how it works in under 30 seconds, you shouldn't be using Gentoo, no, you shouldn't be using Linux in the firstplace.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Nano is not the best option for anyone. It could be argued that it is a barely adequate option for the lowest common demoninator, although I despair to think of anyone using Gentoo who cannot manage the POSIX standard editor.

An editor that lets you very simply scroll, edit, save, and be done is the best option for the lowest common denominator, and because power users can hopefully manage just fine with such an editor, it should remain default. I'm not trying to say its best, but its certainly easier than VIM, and that alone to me is the most important factor. It has enough features to make editting fairly pleasant for me anyway
Monkeh wrote:
vim is insanely easy to use. If you can't work out how it works in under 30 seconds, you shouldn't be using Gentoo, no, you shouldn't be using Linux in the firstplace.

:roll: Nice generalization there. Guess I should rm -rf /, I'm not worthy of using my gentoo installation anymore. Give me a break, after being exposed to nano type editors my whole life which I could understand how to use with reasonable ease in less than 30 seconds, vim at the very least forced me to read the docs and understand the basics more than I ever had to do with nano. I'm not sure that we should consider making such an editor the default.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raftysworld wrote:
pjp wrote:

:roll: Not everyone in the Gentoo world are linux l33tists who have time to read pages of docs just to edit some simple files.
Did you even read what I wrote? It certainly doesn't seem to be the case.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano should be default, simply because you can use it as soon as you open the program, the instructions are all right there, it's very clear how to make it work.

Personally, I choose Emacs. I'm not a power user, in fact, I suck at it. But an internship I had a few years back, the guy I worked for was an Emacs guru, so I picked it up a bit, and Vim was somewhat affectionately shunned as "that beepy thing."

Linux shouldn't force you to read the docs just to use it, yes, you should read them, especially if you're using Gentoo, but if you need to make a quick text edit, you shouldn't have to spend hours learning how to use a very powerful text editor, let the poor bastards learn how Gentoo works first, then let them worry about the great Emacs/Vim battle ;-).
shinadul
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano should be the default, but i know alot of seasoned unix-guru's would love to have vim available without need of emerging it first.

When i chroot, the first thing i do is "emerge vi".
killomatic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:

Right, because thanks to selective pressures in our caveman ancestors favoring vi users over other stone age rock carving editors, these days, all humans have innate knowledge of vi.

You cannot know vi without reading the documentation. If you're trying to require as little extraneous reading in the install docs, you will use nano as the default editor. Those of us who know what we're doing can emerge vi/emacs immediately, and never have to touch nano.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do NOT turn this into another vi vs. emacs vs. another-editor flamewar. We've got this one in the Required Vi vs Emacs discussion.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killomatic wrote:
Monkeh wrote:

Right, because thanks to selective pressures in our caveman ancestors favoring vi users over other stone age rock carving editors, these days, all humans have innate knowledge of vi.

You cannot know vi without reading the documentation.

I have never typed man vi or man vim. Nor have I read any page informing me how to use it. The basic use of vi took me about 30 seconds to get down.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh just make Nano the default when someone is first going through thier *nix install and need to do a quick edit its better to have something that presents some of the more common operations immedeatly and does not require you to do things like hit insert to be able to actually add text to a text file. I also wonder why when you are not in insert mode you cannot move the cursor to the absolute end of a line.

I never really used to like vim at all and then got into it as I was searching for a more appropriate coding tool. So eventually I did give it a chance but I seriously would not recommend vim/vi with all of its power notwithstanding as a default editor for the purposes of the install unless it was tweaked to work more like ee [freebsd editor] or nano.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Vim. :)
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to MS-DOS's edit.com, so I find nano more familiar. I think the same would be true of other Windows/Mac converts too.

Vim and emacs are weird.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: