Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sound Blaster PCI 128. How Compatable is it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarlok
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Sound Blaster PCI 128. How Compatable is it? Reply with quote

Hey Folks...

I tried this sound card quite some time ago, and was at the time using Windows ME. I discovered the sound card was quite the POS, and can't remember if I gave it away, or sent it back to the sod I bought it off.

Right now I'm using a Herculese MuseXL, running off some set of drivers that it works with (can't remember which, but anyway).
But, the drivers aren't the best, and I don't have full-duplex sound, and my system has a lot of problems playing some MP3's (skipping, and such, almost like the MP3's are corrupt - which they arent, I checked. :))

So, I'm thinking of investing in a few new parts to make things a little more snappy with Gentoo... One of them's the Sound Blaster 128. I want to know how compatable it is, if anyone knows.
And, if it is, is it full-duplex? (It goes by a lot of other names... but, in short, can more than one thing use it at once?).

And, just in case someone tries suggesting other soundcards, I could honestly care less about an extra .5ms system speed for spending another 100 bucks on an Audigy, or a Live!. I just want something that works. :)

Also, is there a hardware compatability list around for Gentoo? I couldn't find one on the main site, but I am exceptionally good at missing things like that.

Thanks.

Edit:
Die typos!!

Last edited by Sarlok on Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChopChopMasterOnion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i recall, my wife is using one. but as i also recall, there are like three iterations of the card, each with its own whacktastic information (or so i am told; i only have one SB PCI128). But my wife's first iteration one works fine
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SB live supports hardware mixing with Alsa and is one of the best supported cards in Linux, can be found for dirt cheap these days(about $30usd).

Soundblaster 128 has been well supported for a long time but it doesn't support hardware mixing so you'll have to use something like arts with it.

Quote:
Also, is there a hardware compatability list around for Gentoo?
Depends on what you're looking for. Here's a list of what soundcards are supported by Alsa:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

Quote:
my system has a lto of problems playing some MP3's (skipping, and such, almost like the MP3's are corrupt
This may have nothing to do with the soundcard. Have you tried the Alsa driver for it?
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an SB 128 which is actually an Ensoniq 1371. I've had no problems with this card, works like a charm. Interesting thing about this card is it has two dsp's. So you can set xmms to use /dev/dsp1, and play, lets say, counter strike :D while your mp3s happiliy play in the background without software mixing. For a dirt cheap card, does the job well if you ask me.
Sarlok
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm using the ALSA driver (C-Media CMI8338). It's compiled right into my Kernel.
I know the MP3's are fine, they play fine from anyone elses PC, or from my Wind'oh's partition.
But it's more the single channel that annoys me most.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: