View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scrapz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Gnome wont work... Reply with quote

...well it kinda does work, but to an extent. When I startup a Gnome session, either by logging in through GDM or 'startx' I get the "Welcome to Gnome" image, but it just stays there. It doesnt load anything (the icons dont scroll across) and if I leave it for 10 minutes it hasnt gone anywhere. This happens to all users including root. I can use TWM and Fluxbox quite fine (I'm using Fluxbox now) just not Gnome. Any ideas?

TTFN,
Scrapz :wink:
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: what version of gnome? Reply with quote

first, I'd like to know what version of gnome this is? 1.4 or 2.0 ?

second, try using "failsafe gnome" from gdm ( at least gdm 2.4.x has this (gnome2) ) and then use "save session" and "logout" to try again with a clean gnome session setup
Scrapz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it figured out. For some reason gnome thought all the config files where in /var/tmp/portage/gnome-core/usr/share/gnome - which obviously doesnt exist. I unmerged gnome-core and re-emerged it, but that didnt work until I turned off CONFIG_PROTECT. I dont know if it was just me or if its a bug, but I was using Gnome 1.4 - I only had to re-emerge gnome-core for it to work, everything else was fine... it all starts up perfectly now!

TTFN,
Scrapz :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: