gentoo 2.2.x kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gladbach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: gentoo 2.2.x kernel? Reply with quote

Besides the obvious vanilla kernel ebuilds for x86, does anyone know of a gentoo kernel ebuild somewhere that has support patched in for gentoo? namely /dev fs and other stuff that the install doc says you have to make sure is enabled. It would also be nice to have ext3 but of course ext2 still works.

The reason I am asking, is that I use some of my gentoo boxes to host game servers at lanpartys for tournaments etc, and a lot of people are reporting that the 2.2.x kernels for some reason give much better performance for the various servers. I have also heard that the 2.4.9 redhat kernel does well also, but not as well as the 2.2.x

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your time.

kev
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 2.2.x series of kernels, but I've seen some very positive chatter about the 'gaming-sources' kernel. An ebuild is available ('emerge gaming-sources'). This includes the new O(1) (high-performance) scheduler and (I believe) the new O(1) virtual memory system.

I have emerged the kernel, but I haven't had a solid block of time to try it out for myself yet.
gladbach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, but I doubt the gaming sources kernel would be much help, as I have a feeling that it is more geared towards gaming clients/desktop than actual gaming servers. It might be worth a try, but I am dubious.

kev
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: