Nvidia, AIGLX, or XGL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Nvidia, AIGLX, or XGL Reply with quote

1. what is so bad about XGL?

i mean, everyone i talked to has said that Nvidia has compositing built in, and i don't need aiglx or xgl.

i have the newest nvidia drivers, but my beryl does not work...

i tried aiglx, and that did not work either

both of these facts could be because i installed beryl with xgl before, and it worked fine...

i don't know exactly how to uninstall ALL of beryl and xgl, to start all over again.

but what is the benefit of getting nvidia to work without xgl? since xgl is the only composite manager thing that works for me atm.

2. what's so bad about xgl+beryl... it worked for me.

3. if xgl+beryl is so bad, what do you recommend, and how can i fully uninstall xgl and beryl

many said that the nvidia drivers work perfectly, but too bad i can't experience that since i already messed with my system.

thanks.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to know where to start.. you don't seem to know exactly what is what...

a) if you have something that works xgl+beryl, why do you want to change ?
b) all these are alpha or beta stages at best... nothing is perfect
c) there is so much developments going on, there is no 1 solution magic bullet combo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_GL_Desktop_Effects

This one seems to be an update for the XGL wiki quite old now
http://gentoo-xeffects.org/about/

Also www.nvnews.net has a specific linux forums... and of course http://www.beryl-project.org/

By the way, Beryl is the composite manager, not XGL. Please look at the HOWTO and wiki... it contains several points important to know.

Personally, I used XGL and compiz for a while. Now back to normal X - too much crash.

[Updated]
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap i just re-emerged xgl and now i remember why i chose not to use it... besides fullscreen opengl apps that don't run easily..

Code:
remix@BFG-c2d ~ $ glxgears
30049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6001.969 FPS
30227 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6037.874 FPS
30227 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6038.418 FPS

remix@BFG-c2d ~ $ glxinfo |grep render
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: G80-100/PCI/SSE2
remix@BFG-c2d ~ $

my normal glxgears is 24000+ fps (3x higher than this)

does xgl not allow direct rendering.?
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remix wrote:
crap i just re-emerged xgl and now i remember why i chose not to use it... besides fullscreen opengl apps that don't run easily..

I use xorg 7.1 + nvidia beta drivers + beryl; this stack dosen't require XGL nor AIGLX, it uses a new hook in the beta display drivers GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap to feed the compositing managers.

I'm responding mostly because you note a FPS decrease in XGL. Under my system I get noticable performance degradation along the lines of what you are repeating and I've heard that XGL dosen't suffer from this... I have to disable beryl whenever I want to play ut2k4 (only game i play) or else I get terrible display performance.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remix wrote:

NO!
This has been asked possibly a million times, and Xgl still doesn't allow it. Nothing's changed.

Nvidia works fine for me, but you've got to get it set up right - I think I had to add an option in xorg.conf and change something about how Beryl launched (remove --xgl-rendering or something, I'd forgotten that was even there).
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIGLX works perfect with Direct Rendering, but some fullscreen apps (StepMania <_<) hate me.

If you have NVIDIA drivers, use NVIDIA. If you don't, use AIGLX. I can't think of a reason to use XGL.

Beryl is awesome when you get it up and running. But OpenOffice.org's dialog boxes will take up your whole screen <_<
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it to work... using AIGLX

i could not for the life of me get it to work with just nvidia-drivers... no one really posted how they got their nvidia-drivers to run beryl, details.

so posting to inform that AIGLX works, WITH Direct Rendering, but my glxgears are half of what they are without AIGLX, and about twice as much as using XGL.

so for glxgears:
nvidia-drivers (no compositing) is 20,000-24,000fps
aiglx is 8,000-12,000fps
xgl is 5,000-6,000fps

so i'm still trying to figure out how to get that 20+thousand fps in glxgears while enabling beryl... that would be awesome!
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remix, I take it "G-80" means that you are running an 8800 GTS or GTX? If so I have the same problem, according to some on the nvidia forums this can be done but I think they don't know what they are talking about as one who answered me was using XGL. I specifically asked there multiple times if one could run without AIGLX or XGL and they still don't get what I'm asking lol, but anyway I think at the moment with a G80 based card you can't run it direct through the nvidia drivers, though some have told me I'm wrong they haven't proven it with answering all of my questions yet, those who have already proved they were using xgl/aiglx insead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: