gamepick: a nvidia gamer's multigame shell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: gamepick: a nvidia gamer's multigame shell Reply with quote

This version (0.35) brings improvements over the last. An ebuild is on the site for your pleasure (this is the first ebuild I've built). What the program does is remember your choice of antialiasing and filtering for each of your games. Known games can be detected, all I have to find is a legal way of putting the game icons in there too - perhaps as a seperate package from my GPL program. Written in C/GTK2. Snapshot on the site.

http://www.rillion.net/gamepick/
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepicks autodetect games feature doesn't detect any games in Gentoo. Just thought I would let you know. You may not be designing your program specifically to Gentoo users but this feature would be nice for us too.
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I thought it would pick them up because gamepick searches $PATH courtesy of "which". Gentoo has placed my binaries of source built games in /usr/bin/games/. The commerical games I have manually installed. Could you please post a directory listing of your /usr/bin/games/ here and with that I can knock up an update to the known games file. Thanks.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
Gentoo has placed my binaries of source built games in /usr/bin/games/.

The Gentoo games default is /usr/games/bin/ for compiled apps, and /opt/<appname>/ for pre-compiled apps. This is shown in /usr/portage/eclass/games.eclass
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see /opt/bin in my $PATH, so known game binaries/links stored there ought to be picked up by my program. Does gentoo rename the binaries? I would think not. If someone can post a short listing of that directory I could compare it to my known_games.lst (and extend it appropriately, mine is a bit short at the moment). Thanks.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/opt/bin isn't used for games binaries - I only have links to rar/unrar in there.

Games executables (or small shell scripts which cd into the appropriate /opt/gamename/ directory and run the real executable) are in /usr/games/bin/. There's a small chance that Gentoo will rename an executable or directory, e.g. for consistency with the ebuild name.

There's a long list of game filenames available if you type /usr/games/bin into the "file search" box, change the limit to 1000, and click "search".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: