Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Actually need to change CHOST I know you never do it but...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attrezzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Actually need to change CHOST I know you never do it but... Reply with quote

First of all I know you NEVER EVER CHANGE YOUR CHOST@!@$!#!@
Unless you want the Gentoo 'G' to come out of your box and kill your dog, and then light your house on fire and blow up your car.
So please don't reply... "Hey don't ever change it, just reload everything" I know that.. this is about a creative way to effectively convert.... with that...

I've got a pretty old laptop (200mhz pentium) with NO cd-rom or floppy drive. (itronix) I've been working on a gentoo installation for the last few days and just got distcc set up on another box to make the compiles faster and I've found that crossdev doesn't work well for i386. I've compiled everything on my laptop as i386 when it would probably work better anyway in i586. Doh!

Keep in mind here that the only way to get this effin system installed again is to take out the hard drive wipe it on another computer miles away (literally I don't have another box with support for the hard drive, don't wanna buy a converter if I don't have to)... swap it back in and go from there.

Also there's nothing on here I HAVE to keep, this post is just about getting creative in trying to get everything moved over to an i586 architecture.

So, Deperate times call for desperate measures. I have two ideas:

#1 Emerge parted and resize my primary partition then load a stage three tarball and portage onto a new partition. Take the install from there by emerging nfs... mounting /usr/portage and /usr/tmp/portage over the network. (believe me it needs the space). then getting distcc and emerging sync/world

#2. Slightly crazier idea. Doing the thing with the partition, but booting to that newer partition and unpacking the same stage3 tarball onto the ORIGINAL partion! thereby replacing all the old binaries etc, that should be i686. And saving the world!
Seems to me that everything else can be emerged once the base system has all been moved correctly.

Better yet on this note. Is there a really really small linux distro I can throw everything but the kernel to on a second partition and do this same idea. Just boot with my old gentoo kernel (since it works) and put a pre-compiled superdisk sort of thing on the new partition?

What do you all think? Is there a better, faster way? Do these ideas seem ok in theory?
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Actually need to change CHOST I know you never do it but Reply with quote

attrezzo wrote:
First of all I know you NEVER EVER CHANGE YOUR CHOST@!@$!#!@

Actually I think you can do it:

1. Change CHOST.
2. Run "emerge system && emerge system && emerge world && emerge world"
3. Wait...wait more.

I believe it should work.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that you can't change your CHOST, it's just that doing so breaks your compiler toolchain and you will have to rebuild it.

Pretty much the same thing happens when you upgrade your compiler from gcc-3.3 to gcc-3.4 , you need to rebuild everything.

I think there are some forum threads that will take you through the steps to do this properly.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
Moved in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-386633.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: