printing - setting up the module
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: printing - setting up the module Reply with quote

hi,

i'm trying to follow the guide and i emerged cups and got past that. on to the modprobe printer, it said module cannot be found. I also tried modprobe ls but that didnt work either. I have a parrallel port printer not a usb and i'm pretty sure parallel port was compiled as a module into my kernel.

any help is appreciated. :)

thanks
xk
qwkbrnfox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'printer' module is for USB printers. I haven't used a parallel port printer for a while, but try 'modprobe parport'. Of course, that'll only work if it was compiled as a module!

What I usually do in situations like this is to go back to /usr/src/linux, then make menuconfig (or make xconfig). When you get to the line with the module (in this case parallel port->parallel port support), just type ?. It'll give a little blurb about the option, and then usually the name of the module.
It'll ask if you want to save after you quit. Just say no! :wink:

qbf
moldy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: ahh nice to see my young ones on the forums... Reply with quote

;) yet to find the module? look in /lib/modules/kernel.... and look for it.. instant message me later to night if you still have problems.. i will try to see if i can get it to work for yea.. but gtg going to try ide burning..
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: