View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have gotten past the "mysql/pginfo error" problems. Not sure exactly what I did to fix the problem though. I moved /var/lib/mysql to /var/lib/mysql.bak, re-emerged mysql. Run the appropriate post-install commands specified by the mysql emerge, then ran the mysql command for mythtv. Other than this, the only difference than before was during the "mythtv-setup" in the video source, where you tell the individual tuner cards which source to use (i.e. zap2it), I told it to grab channels from zap2it, then I could select the starting channel. Afterwards the mythfilldatabase ran correctly. The filldatabase was run after I emerged dev-php/php too. I also ran the mysql command for allowing permissions to phpmyadmin. Those are the ONLY differences between now and before.

However, I now have a new problem. The liveTV does try to start, i.e. there is a blank screen for a few seconds like I used to get under 0.18.1. mythfrontend creates "some_file.mpg" in my /mythtv directory where I told mythtv to put the recordings. It complains the some_file.mpg does not exist, even though that file is in fact there. I see this error on the command-line when I exit out of mythfrontend. The file is owned by mythtv:video (user:group). Any suggestions on this problem?

Thanks.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange problem.

/etc/init.d/mythbackend start

That doesn't work. Or, more, it starts, but doesn't connect to mysql.

mythbackend

That works fine, except that I need to start it manually after every boot.

I'm quite confused by that...
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I was having the same problems, here is how I fixed them, YOUR MILAGE MAY VERY!

First off, the permissions changed. So I changed every file myth uses, where the lockfile is written, the buffer, the saved recordings. So go into that dir and do a "chown -R mythtv:users *;chmod -R ug+rw *"

I found this out from the logs, by editing "/etc/conf.d/mythbackend" and setting
MYTH_VERBOSE="all"
then "tail -f /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log" to watch your logs fly by and "/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" to start it up.

also for the DB changes, do a "updatedb" and then "locate mysql.txt" and set the user/pass/etc to fit your system. I dunno if the install added mythtv/mythtv to the mysql users for that DB, so I just put in root/[blank] ...

Also on a side note, I have a PVR350 and use the IVTV drivers, so I checked the /dev/v4l/video* and the permissions were "root video". myth was not in the video group so I added it and set everything 660. Dunno if this helped but it didn't hurt.

Hope this helps :D
makomk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Error here Reply with quote

SuEt wrote:
I had the same problem. I'm now using the "old" /etc/init.d/mythbackend-file (the one provided by myth-0.18 ), and everything is working again (I think it's a permission problem).

Probably. The new script runs mythbackend as user mythtv, whereas before it ran as root by default (unless you changed it manually). I *think* if you add the user mythtv to the "audio" and "video" groups and make sure it can write to your video storage directory you should be alright. Oh, and it looks like MythTV's home directory has moved from /var/log/mythtv/ to /etc/mythtv, so you might need to copy over the config files. (/var/log/mythtv and /etc/mythtv are automatically chowned to "mythtv" by the startup script, so there shouldn't be any permissions issues there).
Cardoe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice if you guys if some of you guys would drop me a line sometimes about any issues. I don't browse the forums sorry. (with that out of the way)

Any MySQL errors usually result in someone having upgraded MySQL along the way and upgrading MythTV or even just re-compiling MythTV. What you need to do is re-emerge QT, this just because the way MythTV uses QT libraries for abstracting all MySQL calls through QT.

With regard to permission problems, yes, I changed the mythbackend daemon to run as the mythtv user. Expect some more work with that user, with regards to making it easier to have a dedicated MythTV box setup.

Anyway, if there's some features you guys would like to see... shoot me an email cardoe [at] gentoo or just come on Freenode (IRC) and msg me at Cardoe.. I'm in #gentoo-mythtv and #mythtv-users. The 1st one is pretty quiet.

Retired Gentoo Developer
Gentopia, MythTV, D-Bus
pepelepew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the last two posters. I did the "chown -R mythtv:users *;chmod -R ug+rw *" in my video directory, added mythtv to audio and video groups and copied ocer /var/log/mythtv to /etc/mythtv and it now works.
Only problem is that after all that there's nothing decent on TV :D.

Ryan
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am close, but not quiet there. My mysql problems are fixed. I was actually missing a couple items from the kernel config. As it turns out the 2.6.15 kernel needs you to set a couple extra modules not seen in the previous 2.6.14 version:

<M> Add support for additional audio chipsets
<M> Add support for additional video chipsets

Anyways, LiveTV will not start. Mythfilldatabase has run sucessfully. The error I now get is an "invalid file_blah_blah.mpg". This file exists but has zero size. I have changed permissions on my video directory, copied /var/log/mythtv to /etc/mythtv ... however it doesn't seem to be using this directory. The pvr-150 cards seem to be recognized correctly. LiveTV tries to start, but craps out as I said with an "invalid file" error. Here is a list of modules I have loaded:

Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
ohci_hcd               19332  0
i2c_i801                7820  0
hw_random               4372  0
ehci_hcd               29704  0
uhci_hcd               30096  0
snd_bt87x              11720  0
ndiswrapper           169552  0
bttv                  156496  0
video_buf              17284  1 bttv
v4l2_common             4864  1 bttv
btcx_risc               4104  1 bttv
lirc_i2c                8580  0
lirc_dev               12388  1 lirc_i2c
tda9887                14352  0
msp3400                32432  0
saa7115                14608  0
tuner                  42532  0
tveeprom               13840  1 bttv
ivtv                  210580  0
firmware_class          8192  2 bttv,ivtv
i2c_algo_bit            8584  2 bttv,ivtv
i2c_core               17040  10 i2c_i801,bttv,lirc_i2c,tda9887,msp3400,saa7115,tuner,tveeprom,ivtv,i2c_algo_bit
videodev                7424  2 bttv,ivtv

Anyone have any suggestion.

Thanks.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. After trying mplayer to caputer video, I was led to now believing this is an ivtv/kernel-2.6.15 driver issue, at least from my first attempts at research on the web.

Is anyone using ivtv with gentoo-sources-2.6.15? If so, did you have to do anything special to get it working?

Thanks.
SuEt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgill0 wrote:

Is anyone using ivtv with gentoo-sources-2.6.15? If so, did you have to do anything special to get it working?

I do (pvr-350) and it works flawless (ivtv-svn-0.4.2 and kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r5). I had problems with earlyer versions of ivtv, but 0.4.2 solved my problems with kernel-2.6.15. Which version of ivtv are you using?
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm that setting my mythtv recordings directory as mythtv:users makes everything work again. I'm sure this was mentioned in the changelog somewhere...I suppose that's an "our bad" or something like that for being dumb and not reading it ;-).

Yay new and updated MythTV!
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have mythtv working ....... FINALLY .... and hopefully for good! I thought I might be having hardware problems. I am using the 2.6.15 kernel. My system went offline today while I was at work. I am wondering if shutting down somehow "reset" the tuner cards. Before they would not initialize correctly ... saw lots of warnings from kernel during boot, and the cards were being identified as PVR-250. Now the cards are identified as PVR-150, as they should be.

I had volume problems in the past, where the volume went muted on one of the cards. After shutting down for a few minutes and rebooting the volume was OK afterwards (this was on a different machine). Is it possible the cards can become "confused" when trying to setup/install everything and testing of mythtv?

Hopefully, all is truely OK now :)
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since this seems to be a post crowded of mythtv users I ask here:
I'm using freevo since some months, has nothing bad but seems that's unmantained,
so I'm considering to install mythtv also to be "covered" if freevo will broke after an update.
But there are 2 stopping points:

1) I don't use any web interface, just a standalone system with a remote, can I install mythtv
whitout mysql?(I don't want mysql daemon running, and would like to use just an internal minimalist
db for xmltv grabbings, if present)

2) There are options to customize tv-recording (mencoder) command line? I like to have
lavc mpeg4 vhq + my filters + dx50 fourcc for my standalone player....
MasterC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo Azzali wrote:

1) I don't use any web interface, just a standalone system with a remote, can I install mythtv
whitout mysql?(I don't want mysql daemon running, and would like to use just an internal minimalist
db for xmltv grabbings, if present)

Nah, you have to install MySQL, it's required to do the database calls from both a frontend and a backend. However, only a backend has to have the mysqld actually running (or another server elsewhere with the mythtv db setup on it).

Quote:
2) There are options to customize tv-recording (mencoder) command line? I like to have
lavc mpeg4 vhq + my filters + dx50 fourcc for my standalone player....

TV recording isn't done using mencoder in mythtv, it's actually done using MythTV created backends. You can 'transcode' your recording after they have been recorded using any set of tools you'd like with whatever options they can handle, and you would set it up as a "user job" or a cron job if the user job seems complicated.

FWIW, MythTV is a HUGE application if all you want to do is record a few shows. MythTV can do a whole lot more, but if you are only interested in using your computer as a VCR replacement, you could just as easily use something much simplier.

HTH

Chad
opopanax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything in the changelogs--does myth support MySQL 5.x yet? I recall on 0.18.2 the upgrade to MySQL 5 borked myth pretty badly--some changes had to be made to the code manually before compile in order for it to work. see here.

Maybe this is a non-issue, and I just need to recompile Qt, etc?
soccerman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Program Guide Reply with quote

Has anyone had any problems with the program guide not being filled? At the moment I don't have my tuner card in but earlier today when I had 0.18.1-r1 that wasn't a problem. My guide was filled and I could browse through it. However after the upgrade to 0.19 the screen comes up but isn't populated. I can press escape and go back, however if I use the arrow keys MythTV crashes. The command line gives me an error saying
Code:
GridGuide:
You don't have any channels defined in the database.
Grid guide will have nothing to show you.

However, if I don't go to the program guide and do searches I can find shows and all my channels show up there. I didn't know if the new version tries to query your tuner card when scanning the program guide. Just curious if anyone has run into this. I'm going to keep trying before I stick my tuner card back in this computer.

EDIT:
Well upon further inspection the SQL query the frontend issues for filling the program guide is
Code:
SELECT channel.channum, channel.callsign, channel.icon, channel.chanid, favorites.favid, channel.name
FROM videosource, cardinput, channel
LEFT JOIN favorites ON favorites.chanid = channel.chanid
WHERE visible =1
AND channel.sourceid = videosource.sourceid
AND videosource.sourceid = cardinput.sourceid
GROUP BY channum, callsign
ORDER BY channum +0

My problem seems to have stemmed from the fact that my cardinput table was empty. Since I had not put the card in the computer yet I had not setup option 4 in the mythtv-setup wizard. I had to associate the input with a card before the database query could return anything. This is probably due to the the new features that deal with having multiple tuner cards. If I find out anymore that is important I will add it.
MasterC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sketelsen wrote:
I didn't see anything in the changelogs--does myth support MySQL 5.x yet? I recall on 0.18.2 the upgrade to MySQL 5 borked myth pretty badly--some changes had to be made to the code manually before compile in order for it to work. see here.

Maybe this is a non-issue, and I just need to recompile Qt, etc?

AFAIK/R no it does not yet.

Chad
yanos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some searching on the myth tv site to see what file format it support to no avail. I'm planning to put a few old pieces of hardware together to have a media center PC below my TV, but I don't really care about recording TV shows. All I want is to listen to movies (mostly dvd/divx/xvid) and music (mostly cd/mp3/ogg). Is Myth Tv a good choice for that or is it a bit overkill? Will it be able to read most media files à la mplayer?

Thanks.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yanos wrote:
I've been doing some searching on the myth tv site to see what file format it support to no avail. I'm planning to put a few old pieces of hardware together to have a media center PC below my TV, but I don't really care about recording TV shows. All I want is to listen to movies (mostly dvd/divx/xvid) and music (mostly cd/mp3/ogg). Is Myth Tv a good choice for that or is it a bit overkill? Will it be able to read most media files à la mplayer?

Thanks.

Myth is a bit of overkill if you're not planning any TV use with it, but you might find it usefull for the user interface if you're really going to be using the TV for a display. Myth uses ffmpeg for video support by default, so just about everything I've thrown at it so far has played (mov,mpeg,wmv,avi,dvd). DVD menu support isn't in the 0.19 release, but was just added in the development version a few days ago.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterC wrote:
sketelsen wrote:
I didn't see anything in the changelogs--does myth support MySQL 5.x yet?

AFAIK/R no it does not yet.

Chad

I just skimmed trac (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/) and it looks like the reserved keywords problems and some other mysql 5 fixes were commited before the 0.19 release. It looks like things should be fine now. You would need a recompile of qt though.
blahbla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two problems I havent managed to figure out yet:

1. Can't emerge any mythplugins, this is the first error I get in emerging mythvideo

Code:

main.cpp: In function `void runVideoManager()':
main.cpp:214: error: `addCurrentLocation' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:214: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
   function it appears in.)
main.cpp:218: error: `removeCurrentLocation' undeclared (first use this
   function)

2. I can watch livetv and start a recording from livetv. But when scheduling a recording it will only insert a entry in the db, so when trying to view the recording in mythfrontend it will say: couldn't find the file for this recording. When I check on the disk after the specified file I see that there isn't a file created. Since a recording initiated from livetv works I've concluded that it isnt a permission problem (the mythtv user has full access to the directory).

My system
I've got one server pc with the backend. This is also a nfs server for the frontend pc(it boots over the network and has no hd).
I installed a myth version from svn in the beginning of december. I did a unmerge of all myth related packages and removed myth files form /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin before I installed 0.19. I think I got the myth files before I emerged on both pc's.

Anybody got any ideas?
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to reccomend against upgrading. 0.18 to 0.19 cuased mythbackend to stop working. I finally get mythbackend to run and it no longer records shows (it thinks it did, but never makes a file).
SwooshingRob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else using MythTV on an Epia (SP13000)? I tried upgrading from 0.18.1 to 0.19, but it refused to use the hardware mpeg2 decoder and instead decided to use 98.5% of the cpu. I had to revert back to 0.18.1 to get the cpu usage down to a healthy 6-7%.

Has anyone else seen this problem? It's a shame, because I could really make use of the new features in 0.19.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwooshingRob wrote:
Anyone else using MythTV on an Epia (SP13000)? I tried upgrading from 0.18.1 to 0.19, but it refused to use the hardware mpeg2 decoder and instead decided to use 98.5% of the cpu. I had to revert back to 0.18.1 to get the cpu usage down to a healthy 6-7%.

Has anyone else seen this problem? It's a shame, because I could really make use of the new features in 0.19.

I don't have an Epia to play with yet :(, but I know that a lot of the myth tv devs do. The mythtv-users list might be the best place to ask.
MasterC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwooshingRob wrote:

When you begin the emerge, check to make sure it's enabling XvMC VLD and if it's doing it thorugh the XvMCW lib, make sure your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig points to the correct XvMC library. I don't have an Epia either but am inches from getting one since I've done my research and they seem so... cool.

Chad
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am unable to watch Live TV. Screen drops back to menu after serveral seconds. The backend error when trying is
Code:
2006-03-03 14:42:00.714 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
2006-03-03 14:42:00.714 adding: server as a client (events: 0)
2006-03-03 14:42:01.014 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Playback
2006-03-03 14:42:01.014 adding: server as a client (events: 0)
2006-03-03 14:42:01.564 TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2006-03-03 14:42:01.565 TVRec(1) Error: Start channel from DB is empty, setting to '' instead.
2006-03-03 14:42:01.566 TVRec(1) Error: Start channel invalid, setting to '' on input DVBInput instead.
2006-03-03 14:42:01.566 TVRec(1) Error: Problem finding starting channel, setting to default of '3'.
2006-03-03 14:42:01.567 DVB#0 ERROR - Could not find dvb tuning parameters for mplex 0
2006-03-03 14:42:01.567 DVB#0 ERROR - Failed to get channel options for channel 3.
2006-03-03 14:42:01.567 TVRec(1) Error: Failed to set channel to 3.
2006-03-03 14:42:02.004 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
2006-03-03 14:42:02.004 adding: server as a client (events: 1)
2006-03-03 14:42:22.143 TVRec(1): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2006-03-03 14:42:22.213 Finished recording Unknown: channel 1109

& the frontend error is
Code:
2006-03-03 14:42:22.093 TV Error: StartPlayer(): NVP is not playing after 20000 msec
0: start_time: 857.475 duration: -9223372036854.775
stream: start_time: 9527.500 duration: -9223372036854.775 bitrate=0 kb/s
2006-03-03 14:42:22.133 AFD: Opened codec 0x8346740, id(MPEG1VIDEO) type(Video)
2006-03-03 14:42:22.133 NVP: Disabling Audio, params(-1,-1,-1)
2006-03-03 14:42:22.133 NVP: Disabling Audio, params(0,-1,-1)
2006-03-03 14:42:22.673 Realtime priority would require SUID as root.
2006-03-03 14:42:22.677 Video timing method: USleep with busy wait
2006-03-03 14:42:22.712 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started
2006-03-03 14:42:22.721 Enable DPMS

Any ideas? I have tried by just running
Code:
/usr/bin/mythbackend
thus eliminating the new startup script problem some others were having but same error.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: