Installing Maple 10 - Java Errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillipwalters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Installing Maple 10 - Java Errors Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm trying to install Maple 10 and am running into a problem. I get all the way up to the splash screen for the installer and when the progress bar is about 3/4 the way to the end, I get an error saying the installer has run into a problem and needs to quit. I click on error details, and get:

Code:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at ZeroGgi.<init>(DashoA8113)
        at ZeroGgb.a(DashoA8113)
        at ZeroGgb.<init>(DashoA8113)
        at ZeroGfr.a(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.AAMgr.a(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.d(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.a(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)

The java VM I'm currently using is Sun JRE 1.5.0.06, but I don't think that matters, as the Maple Installer unpacks it's own JRE. One previous forum post recommended commenting a line out of the installer, but that didn't help.

Does anyone actually have Maple 10 running on Gentoo and/or able to give me some pointers?
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Maple 10 - Java Errors Reply with quote

phillipwalters wrote:

The java VM I'm currently using is Sun JRE 1.5.0.06, but I don't think that matters, as the Maple Installer unpacks it's own JRE.

Maybe it does. Maybe Maple just needs the VM it installs.
When running Maple, your environment picks up VM 1.5, while Maple requires some older version.

I know VM versions are supposed to be backward compatible, but I have had some issues in the past myself.

If you just run
Code:
$ java -version
I bet you get something like
Code:
java version "1.5.0_06"
; and that's exactly what Maple will run with.

phillipwalters wrote:
Does anyone actually have Maple 10 running on Gentoo and/or able to give me some pointers?

Not me, I'm not.
X31
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Running Maple10 on Gentoo 2.6.17 AMD64 Reply with quote

So it took me a few hours, but here is how I was able to install Maple10 on my machine:

Do not modify the binaries with vim -b. It seems to corrupt the files stored in there and leads to the errors of being unable to run gzip -d vm.tar.gz.

Instead, just run

Code:
Linux/Disk1/InstData/VM/LinuxInstaller.bin

from your Maple installation directory. It will likely fail, but no problem.

cd to the directory /tmp/install.dir.XXXX where the LinuxInstaller.bin created its temporary files (where 'XXXX' is the number the installer suffixed; in my case: /tmp/install.dir.14176).

Then run

Code:
DISPLAY=:0.0 CLASSPATH=InstallerData/installer.zip java com.zerog.lax.LAX  temp.lax /tmp/env.properties.XXXX

again replacing the XXXX with the appropriate value (in my case 14176) and all should work. If you are running the installer in a root terminal of a non-root xsession, then do a xhost + in the non-root's terminal before running this.

Once installed, try running maple via

Code:
<maple dir>/bin/xmaple

where <maple dir> is the directory in which you installed maple.

In my case, that did not work (the command exiting without doing anything). I had to make some simlinks to fix it:

Code:
ln -s <jre home> <maple dir>/jre.X86_64_LINUX
ln -s <maple dir>/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX  <maple dir>/bin.X86_64_LINUX

where <jre home> is my java runtime environment home. You may need to change the X86_84_LINUX suffix to something else if you are not running amd64 Gentoo (perhaps to i386_LINUX?).

After those modifications, I was able to run maple 10!

P.S.> If this does not work, I would try modifying the scripts in Linux/Disk1/InstData/VM/LinuxInstaller.bin via

Code:
gvim -b   Linux/Disk1/InstData/VM/LinuxInstaller.bin

by commenting out unnecessary parts or error-prone parts. Note that this will likely corrupt the vm.tar.Z or installer.zip, so run the LinuxInstaller.bin unmodified first to get pristine copies of these files. Unzip/untar these files in the places the scripts would do so, and then modify the scripts to skip those step involved with untaring, etc. (i.e., stuff with JRE_TARZ, etc.) and work with those files. Try setting LAX_DEBUG to a non-false value for some helpful messages. Set ZIPLOC to a fixed directory (i.e., /tmp/install.dir.XXXX) and comment out parts of the script that try to re-create the directories.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: