Total Votes : 52

shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordMyth wrote:
heh you also have a huge /...
Guess some people just like seeing things compile :D

what was that one anti-linux user site that criticised the use of a large / ? the site was prety damn good, and i can't find it. the guy was a hardcore BSD user, and he made some prety damn good points on the nature of the stereotypical linux user.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum? Maybe you should look at my df output. The large / is PURE SYSTEM STUFF, my /home is seperated, as is the portage tree with the distfiles.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't really talking about your install specifically, your comment on large /'s just got me thinking. i wanted to find this "down with linux" site because it entertained me and i wanted to see if it has been updated.
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
matlab (installed in /home/matlab)

Did you make/find an ebuild for this or just install it? I donno how to install it with Portage, but I have 3 CDs of Matlab 7.1 for Unix sitting here and want to use them.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clintpatty wrote:
shickapooka800 wrote:
matlab (installed in /home/matlab)

Did you make/find an ebuild for this or just install it? I donno how to install it with Portage, but I have 3 CDs of Matlab 7.1 for Unix sitting here and want to use them.

no ebuild, i just installed it. i have the student version, but i will run through what i did to install it.

first off, on my 1 CD i had a folder named Unix and a file named install_unix.sh. i copied all of this on to my harddrive, because both install_unix.sh, and the script it calls are written incorrectly for gentoo and other linux distros. i had to get rid of a space at the top where it says: #! /bin/sh the space after the ! was causeing things not to work.

anyway, after runningthe installer script, and giving it a directory to install into (it asks) it goes at it and installs the whole thing. it then asks me if i would like symlinks in /usr/bin for matlab and other related executables, but i said NO, and just put /home/matlab/bin in my $PATH.

i think you may have a completely different experience, for one, i think you don't have to have the CD mounted to run matlab (thats a student version thing). hey the student version is the only one i could afford.

by the way: does anyone know why on earth there would be a space in the line: #! /bin/sh ? will that work on any unix type system? or is linux the only one that it disagrees with (wait, nevermind, Freebsd has the same issue with the install scripts -- oh well, shame on you mathworks)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: