Scriptable Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Scriptable Installation Reply with quote

hi,

everytime someone installes a Linux he has to do pretty much the same stuff over and over ... (especially if you are setting up more than one comp)comp

but it seems to me that 99% of it is not necessary!

just take a usual installation on a 486 ... the only things that need to be adjusted to each computer are the modules and the partition/hard disk sizes.

a litlebit scripting interface would be nice and solve this problem...

if you think a litle bit further you could also create a little tool that asks you for these changes (hdds n modules, etc) and creates a script for you ...

this sounds like some other "slow" distris and their setup ... but it doesnt make anything slower or less configurable ... i would compare it to menuconfig for the kernel confguration, nobody would do that by hand ;)

Dennis
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scriptable Installation Reply with quote

dennis wrote:
a litlebit scripting interface would be nice and solve this problem...

You may want to check the Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide. :)
dennis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i know bash but that wouldnt go through the chroot would it? (never tried though)
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a confirmation on this, but I think you can do something like
Code:
chroot /mnt/gentoo ./myscript

Can you try and confirm this? (I'm not at home right now.)
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
I need a confirmation on this, but I think you can do something like
Code:
chroot /mnt/gentoo ./myscript

Can you try and confirm this? (I'm not at home right now.)

confirmed, well it works with commands, chroot /mnt/gentoo emerge -s mozilla worked. Well I tried and yes it also works with scripts, and this also works from inside another script. So it can be done, But still users need to fiddle with the system after installation, so better let them get used to it during install.

Cya lX.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
So it can be done, But still users need to fiddle with the system after installation, so better let them get used to it during install.

Exactly what I think, too.
Chadmitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: scriptable|repeatable|consistent install Reply with quote

I'm looking for a linux dist that has an automatic install and repeatable and is minimal. I've just about got RedHat there but there is stuff there I don't want, even in just a base install. I learned a trick to script fdisk and then thought about Gentoo again.

Now I'm hacking away at scripting an install of Gentoo. I'm working to rebuild my secondary name server and want everything just the way I want it. It may take a few installs to do this, fortunately I've got a 1.2GHz test system.

From what I've thought about so far a generic scripted install users would have first install the system or at least know the parameters to pass to fdisk to get the disk layout correct.

If/When I get my install of Gentoo Linux scripted and working I'll write it up and put up on my site somewhere.

Plus I also want a dist that runs on Sparc|64, x86, and Alpha would be nice as well as I've got all 3 in my basement.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have the user partition their hard drives manually and then just prompt for partition names. (Like "Root partition? Boot partition? How many swap partitions? Swap partition 0?" etc.)
nzadrozny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
But still users need to fiddle with the system after installation, so better let them get used to it during install.

I think this dodges the question.

Not everyone performing a tedious task is performing that task for the first time. A system install is just time-consuming more than a learning-experience for most of us, and any tool to automate a tedious, repetetive task is welcome to me. Hence, scripts.

However, this isn't to say that I think the gentoo install particularly tedious, especially since even the minimal boot CD provides ssh. I can log in to other accounts and read newsgroups, send email, and ytalk while I wait for things to compile ;-)

This was just my default rant toward the attitude that says we shouldn't make something easier to do because people ought to learn the hard way. This, IMO, goes against the principles of good design, abstraction, and encapsulation. Not only that, but the name of efficiency as well.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't say people should do it the hardway, but maintaining gentoo goes in the same manner, there aren't fancy configuration tools, so I think a small barrier ain't that bad. A very small barrier; I also don't think the install is that difficult. The installer represents the distro just fine. But well the post wasn't talking about this in the first place, so never mind.

If somebody wants to create an installer, I will use it, but I don't see a pressing need for it, I rebuild my system from scratch a few times and it didn't take that long (well except for compiling). If I would do it more often I could always write my own script, remember it ain't that simple to write a general install script. Many tasks need to be done by hand. Most people can write there own bash script.

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: