Laptop install and APM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GREGC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Laptop install and APM Reply with quote

I am installing gentoo on my thinkpad600, and I want to do most of the work at night so that I can wake up to find an installed system. At least that was the plan...

When I wake up in the morning, the emerging is still going on...at least I think. I have a suspicion that the machine shuts down and does not start compiling again until I check it in the morning (and press a key). In order to get gentoo installed and not have to go back to debian, should I disable power management in the bios before an install?

Will that affect the configuration of the system? Can I setup APM even though it has been disabled?

Second question...I listed EVERY flag I wanted and didn't want in make.conf...will that add to the time? (IE: my USE flags have -3dfx -3dnow -cdr -canna apm avi -xxx.....)

Going on 5 days...no gentoo...48 hours just to learn that bootstrap failed due to lack of memory...started from stage 2 last night...hopefully 24 hours is enough time...my guess is no... I really wanted to use Gentoo.

Greg
Strubenator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should I disable power management in the bios before an install

I would...it would seem to fix your problem.
Quote:
Will that affect the configuration of the system? Can I setup APM even though it has been disabled?

No, and Yes
Quote:
will [flags] that add to the time?

No

--Strube
GREGC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I have in my USE flag EVERY singke item I do and don't want listed (like 25+ items), this will not increase my compile times when I emerge?

Greg
Strubenator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, having everything you want in is hinda the point of gentoo. However these should not have no affect on bootstraping and emerge system. About putting the -flags in your use will only cut on compile time so this shouldn't have anything to do with it.

--Strube
thelibrarian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that works well on my Thinkpad R32 - my ADSL connection is unmetered between 1 am and 8 am, so I tend to do my emerges then. There is a BIOS option on my model that I can set to wake the laptop up at a certain time each day, so I set this to 1 am.

I start the emerge normally, then immediately put it into Suspend mode. Then, at 1 am, it wakes up, and the emerge continues on as normal. I make sure that apmd is stopped so that it does not automatically suspend again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: