Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
VMWare issue w/ grub and raw partitions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: VMWare issue w/ grub and raw partitions. Reply with quote

I'm trying to get vmware to boot a raw partition. The host os is gentoo, the guest os is Win2K. Gentoo is installed on hdb, Win2K on hda. grub is the bootloader. Both OS's boot fine natively.

When I boot vmware using hda as a raw disk, it takes me to the grub menu. When I select Win2K on this menu, I get the following:

Code:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 21

Relevant permissions:
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/* is 660 root:disk (this is Win2k)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc and part1 are 660 root:disk (this is /boot on my gentoo system)
I'm a member of the disk group.

I can boot a virtual disk with win2k just fine.

Jim
jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, self: RTFM.

Turns out grub was trying to access /dev/hdb for config info, and I didn't configure vmware to provide /dev/hdb.

Now I'm getting a win2k stop: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Is this a permissions problem?

Jim
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Don't add a message, while I'm typing, now it's all out of context, :wink:
-

Think the problem has got something to do with the second stage being on a different disk. Maybe vmware does still lies a layer between the real hardware and maybe this causes the error, although its threating the disks as raw it will threat them both seperatly using its emulated ide/scsi controller, can't you swap the disk in vmware and install another grub boot partition on hdb maybe if you install it under vmware the stage1 will point to the correct place.

Well its lated, I'm just typing, not thinking, Cya lX.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtanner wrote:

Now I'm getting a win2k stop: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Is this a permissions problem?
Jim

So grub now works, and you choose the boot windows 2K?
jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
So grub now works, and you choose the boot windows 2K?

Yup. About halfway through the Win2K splash screen, I get the aforementioned stop.

It has been suggested that Win2K is trying to initialize a device that VMWare is not providing, but I can't think of what that would be--I left the default of cd & floppy hooked up...

Jim
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtanner wrote:

It has been suggested that Win2K is trying to initialize a device that VMWare is not providing, but I can't think of what that would be--I left the default of cd & floppy hooked up...
Jim

Well win2k is initialising many drivers, just try a simple win2k install and just get the harddrive out and put it in a different computer changes are it won't work or win2k needs to reinstall a lot of drivers, most problematic are the ones driving your motherboard (hostbridge etc.....)

But I can't help you here, but do you know of people who succeeded booting win2k from a raw partition, not installed using vmware?

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: