kdegraphics-3.1.1 fails to compile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skuld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: kdegraphics-3.1.1 fails to compile Reply with quote

Hello

I'm trying to upgrade from kde-3.1 to kde-3.1.1, but I get the following error when trying to emerge kdegraphics

Quote:

skuld portage # emerge -u kdegraphics
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) kde-base/kdegraphics-3.1.1 to /
>>> md5 ;-) kdegraphics-3.1.1.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking kdegraphics-3.1.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/kdegraphics-3.1.1/work
>>> Source unpacked.
*** Creating acinclude.m4
*** Creating list of subdirectories
*** Creating configure.in
*** Creating aclocal.m4
*** Creating configure
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `unloadmodule' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
autom4te-2.57: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [cvs] Error 1

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdegraphics-3.1.1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 100, Exitcode 1
!!! no configure script found, generation unsuccessful

skuld portage #

Does someone has I idea ?
Accipiter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Parameters Reply with quote

What are your USE= and CFLAGS= variables? I've noticed that this build seems very fragile. I also experience difficulty with it, as shown here:
Code:
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libkpovmodelerpart.la.closure] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdegraphics-3.1.1/work/kdegraphics-3.1.1/kpovmodeler'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdegraphics-3.1.1/work/kdegraphics-3.1.1/kpovmodeler'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdegraphics-3.1.1/work/kdegraphics-3.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdegraphics-3.1.1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 116, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

My make.conf file sets the following parameters:
Code:
USE="dga gnome -gtk -java mozilla sse usb"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-mp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -falign-jumps=5 -falign-loops=5 -falign-functions=64 -funroll-loops -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -m3dnow"

I am compiling on an AMD Athlon MP dual-1.2GHz system with GCC 3.2.2. Is this just fragile (read: should I tone down my USE or CFLAGS variables for it) or is something wrong here? I don't want to compile it, actually... but it seems to be a dependency of kde-3.1.1, so I'm just trying to appease emerge -u world, but this is hanging me up (I'm hesitant to use --inject unless I'm sure it won't break anything...).

The only thing I don't like about KDE is the bloat. Help?
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'd try is re-emerging m4.

Accipiter, do you still have that error text? Most of what is there is make jumping out of directories.. but not the actual compile/link errors, so I can't tell what went wrong.

As for your compiler flags.. Why do you have these enabled: -falign-jumps=5 -falign-loops=5 -falign-functions=64? I doubt you really want those. Also, -msse -m3dnow is redundant with -march=athlon-[mp][xp][4].
Accipiter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishhead posted the following in the Portage & Programming thread, "CFLAGS Central (page 14)"

Quote:
Here's why:

-O2 : It enables all -O3 optimizations except inline-functions (which I included later) and rename-registers. rename-registers is only good for architectures with a lot of registers: the x86 isn't one of these. -Os would be good if the Athlon didn't have so much L1 cache.

-finline-functions : The Athlon has 64Kb of L1 code cache - use it! (Well ... AMD recomends function inlining).

-falign-jumps=5 -falign-loops=5 -falign-functions=64: The Athlon's cache lines are 64 bytes wide. This makes sure that you will always have these at the start of a cache line. Since it (I believe) is going to fetch the whole line anyway, might as well get the most bang for your buck (and you're also easing pressure on memory and getting good cache usage) - in addition, you don't want a loop starting on a line boundary each time it executes as I beleive there is a decoding penalty for this.

-funroll-loops : Again 64kb L1 code cache. AMD recomends unrolling loops of a sane size, so this should do just that.

-mfpmath=sse : faster math with floats. Athlons can interleave execution of x87 / MMX / SSE code, so this might help you get better utilization of your FP units.

That's why I use them.

As for the -msse and -m3dnow flags, I wasn't aware that they were redundant, but this doesn't change anything.

As it turns out, this problem was resolved in another thread. "opengl-update nvidia" is a little fruity and doesn't tend to like to "stick," so running that command just prior to the emerge fixed it for me. I use the nvidia 3x drivers.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. The reason why -msse and -m3dnow are redundant is because they're enabled by -march=athlon-mp (and xp, m4). When you do that it's equivalent to:

-mcpu=athlon -m3dnow -msse

The -march implications aren't well documented in the gcc manual.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: