Ralink RT2500 drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Ralink RT2500 drivers Reply with quote

Ok, so I recently gave up on my previous wireless card due to the unavailability of 64-bit drivers, went out and bought a new RT2500-based one from Gigabyte. Now I find out that this card has "problems" with SMP-enabled kernels, and in fact the drivers won't even emerge because of this. I'm using a dual core Athlon X2 system and I'm not willing to disable SMP. Are there any alternatives or is it time to search for yet another card?
scoon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ralink RT2500 drivers Reply with quote

Shotpiece wrote:
Ok, so I recently gave up on my previous wireless card due to the unavailability of 64-bit drivers, went out and bought a new RT2500-based one from Gigabyte. Now I find out that this card has "problems" with SMP-enabled kernels, and in fact the drivers won't even emerge because of this. I'm using a dual core Athlon X2 system and I'm not willing to disable SMP. Are there any alternatives or is it time to search for yet another card?

Hey there,

I use a linksys card that has the rt2500 chipset. I use ndiswrapper to get it working. I run x86 though, but you may consider looking into ndiswrapper.

regards,
scoon
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used ndiswrapper with the windows drivers (64-bit) and it caused my system to completely lock up when i modprobe ndiswrapper. This is apparently common with SMP kernels...
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the rt2x00 drivers? I think they're supposed to be SMP safe, but they're also in heavy development and didn't work for me when I last tried them.
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely didn't know about rt2x00. Thanks for the post, I'll give them a shot when I get home today.
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those drivers really messed up my system.. aside from having to (dis/en)able a whole lot of options in the kernel when I finally got it to build it froze my system. I guess they really are in heavy development. Anything else to try?
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had any luck with rt2x00 either. I just gave up for now and disabled SMP/HT support for my P4 and went back to a single cpu kernel to get the rt2500s to work. In your case however, that would essentially mean disabling an entire cpu. Maybe look into getting card with a different chipset, or just keep trying the CVS builds of rt2x00 until you get one that works...

Then it's hilarious.
Shotpiece
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah trying the future builds is what I'm planning on doing. Apparently they're coming out with a beta4 soon which is a complete rework, and hopefully wont lock up my system. I'd hate to have to get another card, I just got this one specifically because I was having a rough time finding one with 64-bit drivers, but didn't realize in my research that SMP is such a huge problem.
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that Ralink actually released those drivers to the open source community so that linux users could develop better support for ralink products. Most manufactuers shun you away and say they don't support "free" operating systems as if they are some sort of cheap, substandard hacker's crap, which is probably because Microsoft won't cooperate with manufactuers who swing both ways. Even though the rt2500 drivers don't fully work yet, they should be able to achieve the stability of the ipw2200 drivers I use in my laptop in the near future. For this reason, I have held out on buying a new card to give the developers time to debug their code.

Then it's hilarious.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: