Duden Software (officebib) Installation hints
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgerstung
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Duden Software (officebib) Installation hints Reply with quote

Warning: this may be of interest mainly to german speaking citizens, as we are talking about a german software

Hi, there!

I just purchased the two books Duden Woerterbuch and Duden Fremdwoerterbuch in printed form and checked out the included CDROM with electronic versions of the books. Wonderful as it is, it comes with a Linux version besides the obligatory (*shiver*) Windows and Mac programs.

I stumbled across few minor problems and just wanted to write them down (and the solutions, of course), just in case some fellow Gentooist is thinking about buying them, too.

a) Installation
Just mount the CD and untar the .tar.gz file into any temporary installation directory you like (the files are only needed fpr the installation and can be deleted afterwards). You will find a "setup" program which did not start on my Gentoo system because of a library incompatibility. The reason for this is that the libgcc version which is also in the .tar.gz file and therefore installed in the temporary installation directory seems to be an older version and complains about being unable to resolve a dependency. Solution: Just remove the old libgcc from the temporary installation dir or rename it, afterwards setup is starting and works as expected.

The setup tool does not ask where to install the software, it will use /opt/officebib which is perfectly fine for me. I did not try to relocate it after installation.

After installation I added a launcher to my GNOME panel and used the icon officebib.xpm which was installed in /usr/share/pixmaps. The program itself works like a charm.

b) Adding new books
I was so satisfied that I immediately bought an additional book (Duden Oxford German-English English-German, 300k words/phrases dictionary) online and chose "Linux" as the target system.

After the download (53 MB) was finished, I tried to add the book using the "Buch hinzufuegen" button of the software. Everything seemed to work fine (you have to untar the downloaded tar.gz and point the officebib software to that directory containing the PC-BIB.INF file) but the new book did not show up in the program afterwards. The reason for this: I initially installed the software as root and used it as a normal user, it seems that I was not able to overwrite the database file containing the installed books and therefore the new one did not show up. Changing the file permissions of the /opt/officebib/data directory and the included files solved the problem. Just chmod a+rwx the data directory and re-add the book afterwards and voila, it's there.

Maybe you can install the software with your regular non-root account, I did not choose that approach because I wanted more than one account being able to use the books and therefore chose the root-installation approach. Given the fact that the officebib.xmp icon is written to /usr/share/pixmaps, Idoubt that a normal user is allowed to do the installation..

Kind regards,
Heiko

P.S.: The software can be purchased at http://www.duden.de
therealeyeless
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just mount the CD and untar the .tar.gz file into any temporary installation directory you like (...)

I have got the same CD, but there's no *tar.gz file on it! What's the exact name of the file u extracted and in which dir?
CybeRDukE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@therealeyeless: You can download the "latest" version of the tar.gz from the official update site located here

I have two problems with the office-bibliothek when using it as normal user:
first, the program always consumes the whole screen width. as root, the window-size of the last session is remembered, but that's not the case as normal user.
second, it does not remember the font settings. the default settings looks really terrible on my maschine and so i change the font, and use the new setting, but on next restart the default font is shown again.

is it just my installation or do you have similar problems? i also tried removing the ~/.officebib directory, but that did not help either
Schnacki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealeyeless wrote:
I have got the same CD, but there's no *tar.gz file on it! What's the exact name of the file u extracted and in which dir?

I just found this thread here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-409253.html

there you find a tgz with a few files to install (besides some other stuff) the officebib-software.

based on that I build this ebuild:

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

inherit eutils rpm

MY_PN="officebib"
DESCRIPTION="Duden Office Bibliothek"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.office-bibliothek.de/index2.html?service/st_update.html"
SRC_URI="http://www.office-bibliothek.de/download/office_bibliothek/revision9/officebib-4.1.0-3-suse10.rpm"
LICENSE="commercial"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="-* amd64 x86"
IUSE=""

RDEPEND=""
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}"
RESTRICT="nostrip nomirror"

src_unpack() {
        rpm_src_unpack
}

src_install() {
        mv "$WORKDIR/"* "$D/"
}

unlike the ebuild from that other thread this one downloads the (at this time) current rpm from the homepage and installs it. You still need the CD because this software only installs the reader-software with which you then install the actual data (duden or other).
timomeinen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: OfficeBib 5.0.1 released Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. Worked great for me. In the meantime version 5.0.1. has been released. Here is the updated URL:

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

inherit eutils rpm

MY_PN="officebib"
DESCRIPTION="Duden Office Bibliothek"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.office-bibliothek.de/index2.html?service/st_update.html"
SRC_URI="http://www.office-bibliothek.de/download/office_bibliothek/revision10/officebib-5.0.1-1-suse.rpm"
LICENSE="commercial"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="-* amd64 x86"
IUSE=""

RDEPEND=""
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}"
RESTRICT="nostrip nomirror"

src_unpack() {
    rpm_src_unpack
}

Glück Auf
Timo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: