To much for this P2 233?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: To much for this P2 233? Reply with quote

I'm currently setting up a system from stage1. It is a P2 233mhz with 256+ mb pc100 ram. I plan to setup something similar to the Virtual Mailhosting guide. It will run Postfix, mysql, courier imap, vmail, mailman, sasl, and ssl. It won't be running X or anything like that. Just these services and what is needed to admin it. I'll probably move the apache, php, and squirrelmail to another server I have for web hosting.

My question is this machine to underpowered for about 15 email users connecting via ssl? I don't think the actual email/mysql will be a problem with so few users/trafic, but I don't know how to gauge the ssl. Any ideas as to what performance I should expect.

Thanks in advance.
upnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah. No, that should be more then fine. As long as you're willing to wait for all that to compile.
Ulot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say it has been something like this:
emerge rsync - leave for the day
emerge bootstrap - leave for the day
emerge system - leave for a day (think it wasn't done when i got back next day either)
make bzImage - leave for a day

Now gnome or kde w/X11 would have not been fun. Considering that can take 16 hours on a more powerful system I would had to have to sit through that.

It is just a for a domain that is for goofing off. I've got plenty of time. Just don't care to spend the money to buy something better for it. I remember hosting email for 1000+ people on a x486. Times change though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: